Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bartenderonduty

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
I recently downloaded Amazon's Kindle for my Mac and it automatically installed a content folder in my Documents folder along with my other folders.

Now, I like to keep my Documents folder neatly organized and this My Kindle Content folder kind of messes things up a bit - I really don't like seeing this folder in my Documents folder.

Question: Does anyone know how to move this folder to another location? I've tried to browse the Kindle app, but I haven't found any obvious way to move it. However, I may have overlooked it. Also, I have tried to browse the Forums to see if someone else asked this question already - no luck yet.

Has anyone out there had the same problem? If so, is there a way to move the My Kindle Content folder without messing things up?

Any help would be appreciated.

Screenshot.png

Biolizard

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2008
London, United Kingdom
I do dislike how many applications assume that your Documents folder is free for them to dump their stuff in.

Can't offer a solution with the Kindle application, but for me, it's not the only app that does this, so I gave up and created a 'Documents' folder inside the main 'Documents' folder, which is where I keep all my stuff, and let the one above run wild much like the home directory.

Kyffin

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
Hi, I too have been looking for a solution to this. So far I've not had any joy- and from looking at the Kindle's support pages (screenshot below) can only infer that as the content needs to be hosted on your home drive there isn't the option to move it to an external disk (and I made the stretch that this applies to anywhere other than where Amazon wants to dump its stuff too i.e. my documents).

For how I like to organise my books this would make my file structure so much more consistent- I mean I can import Kindle books to Chikoo and access them from there but it'd be great if I could move the contents folder too.

Still, there is the option to leave feedback (done)- and I hope someone might actually know how to do this without asking Amazon to get their act together. Thanks for asking btw- hopefully the answer is out there!

Attachments

• screen-capture.png
    screen-capture.png
    44.5 KB · Views: 165

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
I do dislike how many applications assume that your Documents folder is free for them to dump their stuff in.

This is not an assumption of the application: It is by the very definition of the underlying platform(s) the only place where an application should be allowed to store files. The application's program folder is a no-go area, and every other location on the file system should be out of bounds, too. Why? Because storing stuff outside the user's documents folder only creates chaos and security risks.

It took the industry more than two decades to learn this best practice. I sure hope that developers are not going to fall back into the dark ages.

viperlight89

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2011
This is not an assumption of the application: It is by the very definition of the underlying platform(s) the only place where an application should be allowed to store files. The application's program folder is a no-go area, and every other location on the file system should be out of bounds, too. Why? Because storing stuff outside the user's documents folder only creates chaos and security risks.

This is completely false. Apple's Human Interface Guidelines (HIG) state explicitly that [an] application should never install files into the user’s home directory. In particular, [the application] should never install files into a user’s Documents directory or into the /Users/Shared directory. These directories should only be modified by the user.

Why some developers refuse to listen to the rules is beyond me but I immediately uninstall any application that tries to overrun my documents folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.