Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JesseW6889

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
Can I use older model magsafe adapters to power my late '10 MacBook Air?

I saw someone asked if they could use the power cord from their 15" MPB even though it was rated higher.

I don't have an additional adapter, but the ones I'm looking at on amazon are $25, instead of $75. I don't care if its bigger, I just need it to stay plugged in at home.

Any advice? I don't know if I can put links to products but I searched "Replacement AC Adapter for Apple MagSafe MacBook Pro Laptops 16.5V, 3.65A 60W" on amazon.com and picked the first one for about $26 bucks... can someone confirm that I can use this, that the magsafe plug is compatible, etc?

I really need to get one from amazon, as I have a gc for there and amazon prime shipping for another week, so if you point me else where, please make sure it is on there!

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008
Can I use older model magsafe adapters to power my late '10 MacBook Air?

I saw someone asked if they could use the power cord from their 15" MPB even though it was rated higher.

I don't have an additional adapter, but the ones I'm looking at on amazon are $25, instead of $75. I don't care if its bigger, I just need it to stay plugged in at home.

Any advice? I don't know if I can put links to products but I searched "Replacement AC Adapter for Apple MagSafe MacBook Pro Laptops 16.5V, 3.65A 60W" on amazon.com and picked the first one for about $26 bucks... can someone confirm that I can use this, that the magsafe plug is compatible, etc?

I really need to get one from amazon, as I have a gc for there and amazon prime shipping for another week, so if you point me else where, please make sure it is on there!

Yes you can use it without a problem.

And if you would have bothered checking older posts on MacRumors you would have found multiple answers to your questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

JesseW6889

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
I know that the wattage etc is safe to use, but what I don't know is if there are variations in magsafe adaptors and if they are all compatible or not, are you suggesting that all magsafe adapters are interchangeable, so that any adaptor would work? Or are you saying that that specific one will work, maybe I'm misreading it, but from the sound of your attitude, I can't imagine you put much effort into actually checking it out. My apologies if I am mistaken.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
All magsafe adapters are interchangeable.

Just to clarify on that, the MacBook Air requires only 45W, while the MacBook Pro requires upwards of 85W. If you try to power your MacBook Pro with the Air's adapter, it won't properly juice it. But, the Pro's AC adapter can throttle down to charge the Air properly.

Bottom line is, all genuine MacBook AC adapters are compatible with the MacBook Air since it has the lowest power requirement.

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa
Just to clarify on that, the MacBook Air requires only 45W, while the MacBook Pro requires upwards of 85W. If you try to power your MacBook Pro with the Air's adapter, it won't properly juice it. But, the Pro's AC adapter can throttle down to charge the Air properly.

Bottom line is, all genuine MacBook AC adapters are compatible with the MacBook Air since it has the lowest power requirement.

For something as crucial as power input I'd stick to a genuine apple adapter. Get is used if you have to...

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
I've had clone MagSafe adapters when I had my MacBook. It worked great.

I ordered a 45W one off of eBay for the MacBook Air, and while it powered it, it wouldn't charge the battery.

Does anyone know of a good clone adapter that will work? I don't want to spend $80 for another adapter that will sit at home while I carry the genuine around when I'm on the go.

gglockner

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
Bellevue, WA
For something as crucial as power input I'd stick to a genuine apple adapter. Get is used if you have to...

That's not the issue. The issue is that Apple makes MagSafe adaptors in three wattages: 45W, 60W and 85W. Not only do these output different power levels, but they are different sizes. So you can use a higher power adaptor, but you can't use a lower one. For example, you can use a 60W or 85W adaptor on a MacBook Air, but you can't use the 45W adaptor from a MacBook Air on a MacBook Pro.

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa
That's not the issue. The issue is that Apple makes MagSafe adaptors in three wattages: 45W, 60W and 85W. Not only do these output different power levels, but they are different sizes. So you can use a higher power adaptor, but you can't use a lower one. For example, you can use a 60W or 85W adaptor on a MacBook Air, but you can't use the 45W adaptor from a MacBook Air on a MacBook Pro.

I understand that well. You can use the lower adapter on the higher model but it wont charge as fast or wont charge while using, just provide power. I do it all the time. I have one of each (keep the 85w at work, 60w at home and 45w in the bag). Getting an aftermarket power adapter is the worst place to cut corners and save money.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
I bought an aftermarket power adapter for my MBP about 6 months ago for $25(tear filled story involving a German Shepherd that likes to chew). I was broke and couldn't afford the genuine Apple branded one. In any case it has worked perfectly for me. (Granted I did choose the one rated exactly for my model.)

JesseW6889

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
Received charger in question today ($27 shipped w/ free prime upgrade) and it works! I'm using it as my home power cord, so I'm not concerned about durability, but I'm not exactly sure where the posts about them being extremely weak come from... this thing obviously isn't made with anything spectacular, but its hardly falling apart in my hands!

I'm very happy with this purchase, plus the magsafe plug is straight, instead of angled which I kind of like as an option at least.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
I was at the Genius Bar recently getting an issue sorted out on my MBP and the Genius told me that while the higher wattage magsafe adapters would work on an Air, they weren't good for regular use and could damage the battery.

Granted, this doesn't make much sense, otherwise I'd think Apple would have made the connectors different or added a BIOS-level on-screen message warning you of the wattage mismatch (as I've seen when mixing power adapters on some Dell laptops), but I thought I'd share this wonderful story.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
I was at the Genius Bar...they aren't good for regular use and could damage the battery.
That's *************. Long story short: Apple employees with the titles of "Genius" aren't actually smart. They know how to enter information into the system, install software updates, and how to print out work forms. That's it.

Example:
Customer: My MacBook won't boot!
Genius: Since we are too incompetent to actually perform any repairs, we have to send this off to the work depot. You should have it back within the next 36-168 hours. Do you have a backup of your data?
Customer: No.
Genius: Is your data important to you?
Customer: I...I... I guess...
Genius: We can back up all of your data for the one time only price of $75.
Customer: Thanks! That's so nice that you offer that service for the price of a 1TB external HDD... I really appreciate your helpfulness!
Genius: We are here to help!

Alternative post:

I was at the Genius Bar...
Ok. That's where you went wrong. But that's okay. Everyone makes that mistake. Whenever I go in to the Genius Bar, I make sure I know what I am coming in there for, and that it gets done; none of this $75 backup nonsense.

Last edited:

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
Alternative post:

Ok. That's where you went wrong. But that's okay. Everyone makes that mistake. Whenever I go in to the Genius Bar, I make sure I know what I am coming in there for, and that it gets done; none of this $75 backup nonsense.

Actually I went very right... considering this was the most expeditious way to get a warranty / replacement issue resolved... Thankfully I didn't schedule an appointment at the Genius Bar to ask about power adapters or how to enable Time Machine.

The power adapter question was more of a side conversation that started when I commented on the new magsafe elbow connector.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.