Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hexproject

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
256 GB SSD on 11" Macbook AIR?

any aftermarket to upgrade and confirmed it works?
the 11" is perfect for my travels...

abriwin

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2009
It would be nice but

what about the price?
What about one of these for 50 quid
LaCie Rikiki 2.5" USB2.0 Portable Hard Drive, 250Gbs in the smallest package around.you wont get a 250Gb ssd for the same price. What about the hassle getting one fitted. I just recommended the 640Gb to a friend for archiving.

SammySlim

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
This puzzles me because the MBA doesn't use an SSD - it has memory chips on the motherboard. Not a "drive" at all. Not sure how this would actually be done without removing and replacing existing chips. For a MacBook Pro, sure, that would be great.

Perhaps I'm missing something here but I would not count on being able to make any such changes without doing violence to the motheboard and voiding the warranty as a result.

Cheers

dragon13

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2008
Chicago
Check out this page:

ifixit question

If you go through the answers, one guy took the 256 from a 13". From his pics, it looks like it fits. I'm not so sure how it'll last in the long run though.

dragon13

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2008
Chicago
The press release from OWC says

"...is available immediately for pre-ordering in three capacities compatible with all 11.1" and 13.3" 2010 MacBook Air models..."

so it seems like they'll fit, but I still think it'll be pretty tight.

I dunno for sure, but from the picture on the OWC website, it looks like the blade has 6 small chips per side vs. the 4 per side on the Toshiba.. so maybe it'll fit fine.

Hopefully we'll find out more soon. I'm planning on picking up an 11" and would probably want to upgrade the drive as well.

Edit: Nvmd, actually, that looks like a stock photo of an ssd...

oakie

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
seattle
This puzzles me because the MBA doesn't use an SSD - it has memory chips on the motherboard. Not a "drive" at all. Not sure how this would actually be done without removing and replacing existing chips. For a MacBook Pro, sure, that would be great.

Perhaps I'm missing something here but I would not count on being able to make any such changes without doing violence to the motheboard and voiding the warranty as a result.

Cheers

the "SSD" is built into a stick-like formfactor that fits into an mSATA slot on the mainboard, making it removable, and thus replaceable.

Thiol

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
the 11" MBAir is no thinner than the 13" version. they're both. .68" at their thickest point.

The logic board is arranged differently. Refer to the link in dragon13's post. There is certainly less room near the SSD on the 11" model.

oakie

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
seattle
The logic board is arranged differently. Refer to the link in dragon13's post. There is certainly less room near the SSD on the 11" model.

if you reread my post, i was addressing thickness not being the reason why it wouldnt fit. i never said anything in regard to the overall width and arrangement of the mSATA connection.

Thiol

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
if you reread my post, i was addressing thickness not being the reason why it wouldnt fit. i never said anything in regard to the overall width and arrangement of the mSATA connection.

That wasn't clear based on your wording. But you are correct too! I just didn't want people to get the idea that the same laptop thickness implied similar space inside.

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
There was a company called PhotoFast that was prepping a 256 gig upgrade for the MBA11 back in October. They were shipping it with a USB external enclosure to stick your existing 128 (or 64) gig chip in to use to restore your system and then have an external "drive" of sorts. Apple asked them not to make it.

I noticed on the OWC site, it's supposedly available for order, but will take nine days to ship. Good thing I don't have $600 right now or I'd be getting the 240 gig version. Still, I'd love to have that USB enclosure to put the 128 stick in.

Rob

Thiol

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
Edit: Nvmd, actually, that looks like a stock photo of an ssd...

That is actually pretty uncool. They cropped a stock SSD photo to the shape of a Toshiba blade SSD. Why don't they just show their own product?

hexproject

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
thanks. now i just have to find a nice review

thanks. now i just have to find a nice review

neunelf

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2011
That is actually pretty uncool. They cropped a stock SSD photo to the shape of a Toshiba blade SSD. Why don't they just show their own product?

No smoke and mirrors here. It's their own design. I held one yesterday at CES.

adjuster

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2007
Macsales SSD

Wait a while. I bought a 120gb SSD from OWC last August. Price is now one-half of what it cost me. Same reduction with ram.

I do love it though. My 4-year old 15in MBP flies.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
The biggest problem I see with upgrading an 11 inch MBA's flash storage is that doing so would void the warranty. The new MBAs are designed so as to have no user serviceable parts, as is demonstrated by Apple's use of heretofore nonstandard Torx security screws in MBA cases.

DaveOZ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
Well I've ordered the 320gb for my 11". I've really been amazed by the new Air and take it everywhere with me. This extra space means I can now also fit my music and photos on there and ditch the USB drive. Should ship tomorrow. :D

hexproject

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
Well I've ordered the 320gb for my 11". I've really been amazed by the new Air and take it everywhere with me. This extra space means I can now also fit my music and photos on there and ditch the USB drive. Should ship tomorrow. :D

DAVEOZ, when you get it, can you take some pictures of the install and give it a review?

I am interested too.. but gosh... $$$$$$$

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010

Where did you order it from? (Are you serious...a 320G drive is available for the the 11.6" MBA?!)

DaveOZ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
Where did you order it from? (Are you serious...a 320G drive is available for the the 11.6" MBA?!)

Oh yes I'm serious.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Express

To me this stuff is still cheap. I used to pay $30,000 for a Sun workstation that was 1/10000th the speed of the Mac Book Air.

BTW, did you read this thread at all??

DAVEOZ, when you get it, can you take some pictures of the install and give it a review?

I am interested too.. but gosh... $$$$$$$

I'll try but I'm usually too impatient to install to do reviews but I will take some pics and post here.

Last edited by a moderator:

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa

You mean 360gb?

that's even cooler :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.