Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattdo93

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

As the thread title says, how much data will the mobile hotspot use up per minute/hour? I dont have the unlimited plan but the 2GB for $25 a month one. Anyone with MyWi know how much data a hotspot uses up? :)

Infraggable Kru

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2010
Pre-orders start Feb 3rd, stop asking questions that can only be answered once the phone is finally available.

we can only assume that there is no background usage so usage is equal to what you download.

gdjsnyder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Swoyersville, PA
Pre-orders start Feb 3rd, stop asking questions that can only be answered once the phone is finally available.

we can only assume that there is no background usage so usage is equal to what you download.

Did you notice that the OP referenced that he is using an AT&T iPhone. Did you also notice he asked how much data the MyWi uses. Did you notice anywhere in his post that he wanted to know how much data the Verizon iPhone personal hotspot was using? I just don't understand why some members on this forum are at each others throats all the time.

Anyway, to the OP. I have never had a MyWi, but I have used the mobile hotspot feature on Verizon from the Droid X, Droid 2 and Palm Pre Plus, I usually used my iPad with it. Normal usage, some games/apps (~10), about 3-5 webpages, 10-15 e-mails, all getting replies and other small stuff. Usually about 45-60 minutes of surfing and I roughly used 25-40MB on average over that time.

Weiser878

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
A lot.
This is a screencap of my usage.
I use MyWi to tether my MacBook for forum browsing/photo management, but I use a lot of Netfliix, Slacker and YouTube from my phone too.
But still, if I didn't have unlimited data, I'd be in trouble

Screen%20shot%202011-01-11%20at%2011.27.43%20AM.png

mattdo93

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2010
Did you notice that the OP referenced that he is using an AT&T iPhone. Did you also notice he asked how much data the MyWi uses. Did you notice anywhere in his post that he wanted to know how much data the Verizon iPhone personal hotspot was using? I just don't understand why some members on this forum are at each others throats all the time.

Anyway, to the OP. I have never had a MyWi, but I have used the mobile hotspot feature on Verizon from the Droid X, Droid 2 and Palm Pre Plus, I usually used my iPad with it. Normal usage, some games/apps (~10), about 3-5 webpages, 10-15 e-mails, all getting replies and other small stuff. Usually about 45-60 minutes of surfing and I roughly used 25-40MB on average over that time.

Thank you very much sir :D

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
I personally don't own a MiFi device or anything, but I'm pretty sure it's up to the user to decide how much data is being used. So the more you do, the more data you'll use. If you wanna know how much data you use on your computer, you can install some type of little widget that'll track the usage and tell you.

Infraggable Kru

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2010
1) Did you notice that the OP referenced that he is using an AT&T iPhone
2) Did you also notice he asked how much data the MyWi uses.
3) Did you notice anywhere in his post that he wanted to know how much data the Verizon iPhone personal hotspot was using?

1) OP never mentioned he was using AT&T Phone
2) Read carefully OP was asking a question in future tense
As the thread title says, how much data will the mobile hotspot use up per minute/hour?
3)"The Mobile hotspot", as in the recently announced one = as in the one that comes with iOS 4.2.5. for the Verizon iPhone (yet to be released) or potentially in iOS 4.3 for AT&T (also yet to be released)

4) He then asked an unrelated question. MiWi is a jailbroken app, that is not supported by AT&T or a stock feature of the current iOS.
This is unrelated to a feature already built into the phone such as the iOS mobile hotspot option in question.

I've been using MiWi since it was first released, but that has nothing to do with how much data a mobile hotspot will use, nor does it give me any idea how much the future hotspot feature will use. ( who knows maybe it uses 50mb in background communication, it has yet to be released, so who can say)
Also I have an unlimited plan, you can't compare the usage of someone with an unlimited plan to someone with a 2GB or 5GB limit.

A better question would be.

"This question is aimed at iPhone users who don't have an unlimited data plan and use MiWi to tether their laptop.
I have a 2GB iPhone plan. If AT&T ever allows a mobile hotspot option, how much data do you think I will use tethering my laptop to my device"

Last edited:

Weiser878

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
1) OP never mentioned he was using AT&T Phone
2) Read carefully OP was asking a question in future tense

3) "The Mobile hotspot" , as in the recently announced one = as in the one that comes with iOS 4.2.5. for the Verizon iPhone (yet to be released) or potentially in iOS 4.3 for AT&T (also yet to be released)

4) He then asked an unrelated question. MiWi is a jailbroken app, that is not supported by AT&T. This is unrelated to a feature already built into the phone such as the iOS mobile hotspot option in question.

I've been using MiWi since it was first released, but that has nothing to do with how much data a mobile hotspot will use, nor does it give me any idea how much the future hotspot feature will use.
Also I have an unlimited plan, you can't compare the usage of someone with an unlimited plan to someone with a 2GB or 5GB limit.

A better question would be.

He specifically asked "Anyone with MyWi know how much data a hotspot uses up"
MyWy is a Cydia jailbreak app for the AT&T iPhone.

Methinks you just didn't know enough to intelligently answer the question

Infraggable Kru

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2010
He specifically asked "Anyone with MyWi know how much data a hotspot uses up"
MyWy is a Cydia jailbreak app for the AT&T iPhone.

Methinks you just didn't know enough to intelligently answer the question

How much data will the mobile hotspot use up per minute/hour?

1) He was asking a future tense question about the mobile hotspot feature that comes with iPhone iOS 4.2.5 and 4.3
2) The program is Called MyWi, originally released under "Rock your Phone" not Cydia
3) MyWi does not call the feature "Mobile Hotspot" it called WiFi Tethering

But all of those are small details. My point is, its pointless to ask these kind of questions because the iOS native "Mobile Hotspot" feature has not been released yet so we can't give the OP advice.
And many of us who do have MiWi tethering have unlimited plans. Again he should be aiming his question to those users who tether and have a limited data plan.

mattdo93

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2010
Sorry guys I should have rephrased the question better :( But I think I'm just going to get unlimited data and save myself the trouble :)

parker770

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2010
I should have a pretty good idea by the end of the month.

I recently moved and got tired of excessive cable bills, so I decided to use my iP4 exclusively for all things web related via MyWi since I kept unlimited data and really didn't utilize it in the past.

Most of time it has been amazingly quick, and it streams netflix movies on my MBP easily. It does slow down for about an hour peak usage, but recovers quickly.

I have only been watching netflix for 2 days, and have already used 3.5GB:cool:

Now if only I could get the PS3 to connect I would be all set. I tried to setup the MBP and share the internet connection, but it wasn't able to obtain an ip, just timed out repeatedly.

Looon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
A lot.
This is a screencap of my usage.
I use MyWi to tether my MacBook for forum browsing/photo management, but I use a lot of Netfliix, Slacker and YouTube from my phone too.
But still, if I didn't have unlimited data, I'd be in trouble

Screen%20shot%202011-01-11%20at%2011.27.43%20AM.png

I can't believe nobody has started attacking you for this. Are people finally over the stupid other people's bandwidth affecting them thing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.