Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SaMaster14

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Well, I didn't really want to go to an Audi or a BMW forum to ask this question, so I'm going to ask the community I know and hopefully people with unbiased opinions who can really just give me the pros and cons of both cars.. and obviously their personal opinion or experience.

For my second car car, I am probably looking for something around the $60,000 range. I priced out both cars and a fully loaded S5 prestige runs about $62,000 and a BMW 335iS (again fully loaded with nav and rims, etc) runs about $63,000.

I currently have an Infiniti G37S sedan as my first car... But, because I was sadly a little disappointed in the G37IPL coupe (even though it would be less expensive), these are probably the two cars I will be looking to upgrade to either this fall (2011 when I'm in college) or mid 2012 after my first year of college.

Please give pros and cons! Thanks

Here are some images from the "Build your own" simulators:

Screenshot2011-01-11at85354PM.png

Screenshot2011-01-11at85258PM.png

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
Please elaborate... I asked for pros and cons... Plus the X version wasn't one of the options I was looking into...

No, I'm just an avid fan of AWD. Not that you'll need it in LA, I imagine. ;)

The truth is, though, both are great cars. Go drive both, and buy whichever one you like better. Neither is a bad choice.

MacPookBro

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2011
335is kills the S5. Actually the cool wheel upgrade isn't on the build it page, what you want is the type 313 19" wheels, that is a factory upgrade and only costs $1000, those wheels are the super elite M-forged 5-spoke wheels in grey metal finish that you can only get with the 335is. The wheels you picked are dealer installed so you actually end up with 2 wheel/tire sets. So the price of the 335is is a more reasonable 58K when you get the proper wheels.

335is is way more fun to drive as the twin turbo gets massive torque at low RPMs making it a great drive off the track. The V8 Audi engine actually makes less torque and the car weighs 300 lbs. more, a recipe for less fun...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
They both probably drive well enough, and they're the same price, so lets just base things on looks.

The BMW looks better. The Audi just looks like it suits an older guy. You couldn't possibly look cool coming out of an Audi S5. Sorry, but it wouldn't matter how good-looking you are. You'd look like you were walking out of a middle-aged man's car.

Actually, I feel the same way about the BMW, but this impression is not as strong with 3-series BMWs. Also, there are lots of others who don't feel the same way as I do about BMWs. Some may feel that BMWs suit a younger guy just fine.

Have you considered the 1-series? It's probably not as good as the 3-series, but you're not a pro racer or anything, and you may as well buy the car that will make you look less like a twunt.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
$63K will put you into a M3. Have you considered that instead of the 335is. I would. Not to mention the 1 Series M Coupe just debuted at the Detroit Auto Show and will be available in the US this year. Not sure what your time frame is, but the 1 Series M Coupe should be nice, and about 300+ lbs lighter than the other cars, with the 335 HP twin turbo 6.

I am a former M3 owner ('05 E46 M3 Coupe).

Edit: realized you are pretty young. The M3 is really for experienced drivers, so I retract my recommendation for that.

Last edited:

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
The BMW. (for many of the reasons Abstract already mentioned.)

And brace yourself for what may be some rather snarky comments to come. A thread like this seldom goes over too well. A lot of people are struggling just to make ends meet right now and they probably don't care to hear of a teenager toiling over which expensive car to get.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I agree with RaceTripper. If your parents' wallets are open go for the M3. I assume they're flipping the bill for insurance, college, food, abercrombie wardrobe and Justin Bieber haircuts once a month. May as well make the best of it.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Like some others have already stated, I would step it up to the M3... even the base model has more power, performance and much better looks than the 335i and it starts at like 57K I beleive. add a few little extras and you can get it for 60 to 63K and have yourself a much superior car.... Plus it looks way better for someone your age. I currently own a 335i and although I love it I do have buyers remorse and feel like I should have gone for the M3, I was in the process of buying a house at the same time so I was a looking to save money, but thinking back I regret it, the couple of thousand bucks wouldn't have made much of a difference.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Get a manual transmission. The only thing less impressive than a highschooler waffling over what luxury sports car to get is a $62,000 automagical sport coupe.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Get a manual transmission.
I don't know about the Audi, but the BMW double-clutch gearbox will outperform a standard manual any day of the week and -- unlike a torque-converting automatic transmission -- without any loss of power.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I don't know about the Audi, but the BMW double-clutch gearbox will outperform a standard manual any day of the week and -- unlike a torque-converting automatic transmission -- without any loss of power.

Sure, if you're on a track or strip it will clock faster, but as far as the feeling of intangible synergy between car and driver goes, it's hard to beat the three pedal setup, IMO.

SaMaster14

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for all of the replies for those actually trying to help.

Plus, this isn't for a year or two... and honestly, my 'wealth' isn't disgusting and sure my family has money, but its nothing crazy (I have friends with $100,000+ cars as their FIRST)... my Infiniti was just about normal on the chain of cars at my high school.

Also, to the Honda person, I've had my Infiniti for over a year and a half now and have yet to even get into an accident that was my fault (someone hit me while I was parked once...), and the S5 and 335 are both better performing and SAFER cars than my G.

Also, I do agree with what someone said about the M3 being for an older driver, plus, my parents probably could afford to get me something for more money, but I want to earn a car on my own too... I'm looking to wait until after college until I've worked to buy a true sports car/super car. (Definitely have my eyes set on the Nissan GT-R or something of that level).

I definitely know that there are other people with money and people who have more than me, so please don't hate.

Last edited by a moderator:

acurafan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
If I was your age again and was given $60,000 I'd blow $55,000 on sex, drugs, booze & rock n roll. I'd waste the other $5,000 on a car. :cool:
WHAT HE SAID!!! :D

looking back at my life, i'd say F the car, and F all the hotties too with that kinda $$! haha! (then again, i didn't have da bling at your age lol)

get the RWD bmw, that's what i say.

(Definitely have my eyes set on the Nissan GT-R or something of that level).
say no to nanny aids!! get a real car aka old school NSX :D, and take some hi-performance driving lessons with some of your $$$.

codymac

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
Please give pros and cons! Thanks

The pros can get a little subjective.

Audi:
Filled up my V8 S4 yesterday at lunch for a combined average of 12.3mpg. Get ready to spend $50-$100 week on gas, depending on how much you drive.

BMW:
I'm an ex BMW guy with a generally positive experience with the brand. I didn't get an E92 M3 because I knew I could never walk out my door and be excited to drive it. I don't care for the looks, hate iDrive (even my friends and coworkers with newer BMWs rave about my Audi's system in comparison), the M3 has become too heavy, and the 135i is the more sporty car, IMHO.

Both:
Both manufacturers seem to have forgotten how to make interiors and both will be mostly trouble free new, and if not, the warranties will take care of any ailments.

S5 vs 335? S5, hands down. S5 vs M3 is a tougher argument, but if I was looking for something performance oriented from Germany, it would probably be a 135 or a 911 variant (had a 911 and shopped 997s before getting the S4). If I was shopping for a proper GT, it wouldn't be German.

Last edited:

fehhkk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Chicago, IL
The 335is with the 7speed DCT would be my choice.

The BMW is more "raw" than the S5. The S5 is more of a cruising car vs. a more track-oriented car.

The S5 would be more tractable to drive around in heavy traffic. The 335i makes its power on top, whereas the 4.2 V8 is more down low.

The S5 is definitely more luxurious than the 335i on the inside. The S5 has a killer stereo (B&O).

Since you're in Cali, you don't have snow and that crap that we have here in IL.

If I would have a choice between those two, but had to deal with the snow, the S5 would be my choice (with a set of snow tires) :D

codymac

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
Errr... the S5 has a V6.

Negative, Ghostrider - you can still get the V8, if you hurry.

Frankly, I'd really advise getting something small and fun that won't attract too much attention and putting the rest of the funds into a business or other investment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tonsko

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
Drive them both. Give both a good ragging.

The S5 is extraordinarily competent, but less involving. You will not struggle on any road surface (within reason). The driver aids and electronics of the S5 will go a long way to stopping you putting it through a hedge unexpectedly. The BMW will be loads more fun to drive. More visceral, thrilling, and I imagine if you want to drive it hard, you are more likely to run out of talent.

I've had an AWD (R32) car for 3 years now, and although I love it, it's starting to get a bit boring. I'd go for the zimmer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.