Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingthong

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
Somewhere but not here.
Hi,

I've been coding for Objective-C for the past couple of months and now need to learn how to integrate an app with Facebook Connect. I've googled for info quite a bit and have found a couple of blogs with some useful information but i haven't found any extensive or clear explanations on any of them
The official documentation hasn't helped me too much either.

So i'd appreciate it if any of you can point me to some resources from which i can get a better understanding of FB Connect.

Thanks.

PS: i've gone through developers.facebook.com and the 5 min vimeo video they've put up as well as the instructions on the github page for the SDK.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
FBConnect help is thin on the ground. You have to be comfortable enough with Objective-C and then get used to Facebook's interesting take on how to integrate. You're pretty much on your own. But, if you have specific questions, ask them here and maybe we can try to help.

kingthong

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
Somewhere but not here.
Thanks Dejo. yup i Googled quite extensively and found very few resources and mosr of 'em were step-by-step instructions and not explanations of any sort.
Will go through whatever info is out there.
Thanks again!

kingthong

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
Somewhere but not here.
oh and another question if you don't mind.
this might be rather silly, but i was looking at the DemoApp

and all FB related variables start with an '_' as in '_facebook' etc.

This is just a convention right?

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Yes, it's just a convention. But one I tend to use a variation of, as does Apple frequently, when it comes to the ivars that back properties. More here.

kingthong

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
Somewhere but not here.
so i've gone through quite a few blogs and the 'documentation' on the FB dev page.

On this page http://developers.facebook.com/docs/authentication there's a mini-guide that talks about a redirect_uri. When authenticating with/through an Iphone, what would be the redirect_uri that i've to use....or i'm i going about it the wrong way completely?

Also, the Mobile Web Auth link says 'Page not found'. the documentation/guides on the site aren't very helpful at all!

ps: i'm not sure if i should have started a separate thread for this question.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Have you gone through the documentation on the GitHub page? That seems to be where they are putting the latest stuff for iOS.

And I think keeping the discussion in this thread is okay for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.