Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I can't resist reporting this article, because it contains this sentence that you don't see very often:
"Surprisingly, Howe said, their inspiration came from cockroach legs."​

Rather than build a robotic hand that could avoid mistakes while grasping a variety of objects, researchers build one that can correct mistakes on the fly, which is what humans do.

Despite its four-fingered form, the resulting hand has several human characteristics. At rest, its joints are opened from 25 to 45 degrees, and the joints at the base (our palm) are more flexible than the joints of the fingers. Dollar also added sensors to detect when a finger touches an object and the angle of the joints. While the hand automatically adjusts for many small errors, the sensors enable it to compensate for larger miscues.

The result is a very simple hand that can grasp a wide range of objects. It could become a platform for future household and service robots, where the ability to grasp different objects is important.

image_mini
Full article: Cockroach Inspires Robotic Hand To Get A Grip

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
I wonder if we will hit that point first or if cloning technology will make the point moot by growing fully functioning attachable limbs first.

That image probably represents a single function, perhaps something involving the carpal tunnel.

The hand and wrist are massively more complex than that fictional representation.

IMO.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I'm still waiting for an update on the cockroach-controlled robot project.
Here's a new research project, at North Carolina State University:
They imagine using properly outfitted cockroaches to hunt for survivors of a disaster. If I was trapped under rubble I'm not sure I'd welcome an army of cockroaches, but the roaches could reportedly be equipped with speakers and microphones, not just navigation controls, so rescuers could communicate with victims, perhaps to say "We'll rescue you if you promise to stop screaming about the cockroaches!"

Cockroach navigation:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.