Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedElectro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Hi...
What's the maximum ram upgrade I can put in my PowerMac? Apple states it's 4gb, but I've heard that this is a conservative estimate and you might actually be able to put more in?

Is this true or just a rumor? Would it be possible say, to up the memory to 8gb with 2gb sticks x4?

Thanks in advance :)

RedElectro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Model Name: Power Mac G5
Model Identifier: PowerMac7,3
Processor Name: PowerPC G5 (3.0)
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of CPUs: 2
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1 GHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.2.4f1

Is this enough info? Cheers :)

RedElectro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Thanks for that, I didn't know about the Everymac website! There are two models of the G5 2.0 DP though and looking at these stats, it seems as though it's just the PCI-X version that supports 8gb of ram. Mine (unfortunately) seems to be the standard PCI version, which would appear to limit upgrades to 4gb.

pci1432,7728:

Type: Other Network Controller
Driver Installed: Yes
Bus: PCI
Slot: SLOT-2
Vendor ID: 0x1814
Device ID: 0x0601
Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1432
Subsystem ID: 0x7728
Revision ID: 0x0000

Still, I should imagine just upgrading to 4gb is going to make a difference?

Rodus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Midlands, UK
Yeah you're right, sorry, I looked at the PCI-X, 2GB to 4 is still a big jump though, remember that most Macs today ship with 4 and it is enough for most users.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Apple is right, 4gb is the max for your model. You only have 4 memory slots so 4x 1gb modules. There are 8 slot models that will take 8gb total. You need DDR memory.

The late '05 G5s used DDR2 and can take 16gb total with 2gb 8x dimms.

RedElectro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Ok, Thanks for that guys. 4gb will possibly do me fine anyway!

Somewhere along the line I got the impression that even though the (official) max memory was 4gb, you could (unofficially) use 2gb sticks in the four slots to get to 8gb!! I guess it was just an unfounded rumour, so I'll just have to be happy with 4gb until I've got enough for my Mac Pro! ;)

goodfidelity

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2015
Did angone try to run more then recommended ram in these machines?

I have PCI-X machine with 8slots and found 2gb modules.

Will this machine take 16gb of ram?

I am thinking to upgrade it and looking for GPU X800 or similar, plus ram, ssd and the airport antenna.

Anyone have tried running larger modules? What are the limits here?

(I was running Mac Pro intel models with larger modules and went way over limits in spec for 2.1/3.1/4.1 and 5.1 fitting 64 to 128gb of ram in those machines)

Thanks for any advice!

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2019
Did angone try to run more then recommended ram in these machines?

I have PCI-X machine with 8slots and found 2gb modules.

Will this machine take 16gb of ram?

I am thinking to upgrade it and looking for GPU X800 or similar, plus ram, ssd and the airport antenna.

Anyone have tried running larger modules? What are the limits here?

(I was running Mac Pro intel models with larger modules and went way over limits in spec for 2.1/3.1/4.1 and 5.1 fitting 64 to 128gb of ram in those machines)

Thanks for any advice!

Unlike the Mac Pro, the maximum upgrade memory for PM G5 PCIX model is 8Gb with 1Gb PC-3200 DDR SDRAM. Only the DDR2 PC2-4200 SDRAM will take the PCIe late 2005 G5 to 16Gb with 8 slots.

The difference with the Mac Pro is that, they take more RAM because they can be firmware upgraded, take DDR2 (older Mac Pro) and DDR3 RAM (4,1 and 5,1)as well as CPU upgradable to X5690 Xeon on the 4,1 and 5,1 or DUAL X5690 which can address much higher memory ranges for which the PM G5 was limited by what technology and software OS then had to offer.

goodfidelity

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2015
Thanks for very fast and well explained answer to my question!

I will try to source the 8gb that fits this machine :)

Anyone got good firas where to find these items at affordable prices pls let me know!

Thanks again!

//gf

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Some very late DDR G5s are supposedly compatible with 2gb sticks.

At least on the Xserve the boards that ARE compatible with them are so marked, or at least the service documentation says so(and where to look for the marking).

Even if you do have a computer that's compatible, though, you have to find 2gb unregistered non-ECC sticks. I have some here that don't belong to me(and that reminds me that I need to get them shipped to their owner) but they're not easy to find.

That aside, I have a Quad where I went to the trouble of loading it up with 16gb. I struggle to use more than about 6gb of RAM. Even a lot of PPC "heavy" programs are 32 bit and can't use more than 3gb of RAM anyway(looking at you, Photoshop). You also have weird cases where you think you're doing yourself a favor with a lot of RAM, such as if you try to run VPC, and then find out that it runs better with less than the full amount of RAM allocated.

16gb in my Quad is about as useful as 1.5gb in my 9600, although fortunately it cost a lot less than the latter.

Reactions: AphoticD

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2019
Thanks for very fast and well explained answer to my question!

I will try to source the 8gb that fits this machine :)

Anyone got good firas where to find these items at affordable prices pls let me know!

Thanks again!

//gf

Do you have a local computer and electronics recycling store nearby? I think this would be your best bet in scoring those PC-3200 SDRAM for your G5 for cheap, especially if you are able to strip them out off a broken or dead G5 as scrap parts.
[automerge]1577377347[/automerge]
Some very late DDR G5s are supposedly compatible with 2gb sticks.

At least on the Xserve the boards that ARE compatible with them are so marked, or at least the service documentation says so(and where to look for the marking).

Even if you do have a computer that's compatible, though, you have to find 2gb unregistered non-ECC sticks. I have some here that don't belong to me(and that reminds me that I need to get them shipped to their owner) but they're not easy to find.

That aside, I have a Quad where I went to the trouble of loading it up with 16gb. I struggle to use more than about 6gb of RAM. Even a lot of PPC "heavy" programs are 32 bit and can't use more than 3gb of RAM anyway(looking at you, Photoshop). You also have weird cases where you think you're doing yourself a favor with a lot of RAM, such as if you try to run VPC, and then find out that it runs better with less than the full amount of RAM allocated.

16gb in my Quad is about as useful as 1.5gb in my 9600, although fortunately it cost a lot less than the latter.

I think that's for the Xserve G5 which does support up to 16Gb of RAM based on the official Apple document. Not the PCIX desktop model which only supports up to 8Gb of ram based on 8 slots.

It's true that there is little point in maxing out the RAM to 8Gb let alone 16Gb unless you want to create a giant RAM disk for caching purposes. But with the advent of SSD and Hybrid SSD drives, you no longer need to do that anymore. My G5 loads and respond really super quick with a SSD/HD hybrid in it already and with 4Gb of ram which is more than enough for CS3 unless you are loading very very large files.

Last edited:

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I think that's for the Xserve G5 which does support up to 16Gb of RAM based on the official Apple document. Not the PCIX desktop model which only supports up to 8Gb of ram based on 8 slots.

It's true that there is little point in maxing out the RAM to 8Gb let alone 16Gb unless you want to create a giant RAM disk for caching purposes. But with the advent of SSD and Hybrid SSD drives, you no longer need to do that anymore. My G5 loads and respond really super quick with a SSD/HD hybrid in it already and with 4Gb of ram which is more than enough for CS3 unless you are loading very very large files.

I need to try it in the dual 2.7, which should work if any DDR-based G5 does.

As for me-when I was still using the dual 2.7 I was routinely working with scanned files in CS4 that were in the ballpark of 160,000x200,000 pixels. It was still pokey even with the RAM allocation maxed and two scratch disks. I never had an SSD, although if I went to do it on the G5 I'd probably add one now.

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2019
I need to try it in the dual 2.7, which should work if any DDR-based G5 does.

As for me-when I was still using the dual 2.7 I was routinely working with scanned files in CS4 that were in the ballpark of 160,000x200,000 pixels. It was still pokey even with the RAM allocation maxed and two scratch disks. I never had an SSD, although if I went to do it on the G5 I'd probably add one now.

Having an SSD definitely will help as it has close to zero latency and if you RAID them together on the G5 would help on the disk I/O part. On my Mac Pro, I have both my SSD and HD array raided so I can work on 4K material and edit up to 80MP files even with a lowly 18Gb of ram. The SSD and HD RAID 0 array help a lot in maximizing performance in Photoshop.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Generic DDR-400 works fine. I filled mine up with Corsair Value Select sticks that were spare at work, originally fitted as an upgrade to IBM ThinkCentre P4 towers. Hardly anything will use all 8GB though. Although it's fun to see 10.2.7 report 8GB!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.