Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vinum0908

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
I've been searching forever, but most reviewers comment on how a case feels when holding the iPad in your hand or around the house...

I'm a student and plan on putting my iPad in a backpack most of the time with a few other books. I ordered a hard back shell for it and a screen protector-- will this be enough?

I really want to avoid the cases with folding covers since I find them unwieldy and annoying, but I don't want to mega-scratch my iPad's screen or anything.

Tips from fellow backpack stuffers?

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
I got a neoprene sleeve and stuck a piece of cardboard in it to protect my screen. The adhesive screen protectors only keep it from getting scratched, not cracked or crushed.

T-Stex

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2006
Pennsylvania
I got a neoprene sleeve and stuck a piece of cardboard in it to protect my screen. The adhesive screen protectors only keep it from getting scratched, not cracked or crushed.

I think the sleeves from Booq (booqbags.com) have a hard side to protect the screen.

Anyway, I'd probably go with a sleeve if I were going to carry my iPad in a backpack regularly.

TheCheapGeek

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
I think the sleeves from Booq (booqbags.com) have a hard side to protect the screen.

Anyway, I'd probably go with a sleeve if I were going to carry my iPad in a backpack regularly.

This is the case I use and it is a great backpack case. Soft neoprene to prevent scratches on the back and a hard plastic sheet under neoprene to protect the screen. Check out my review video here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYDyiPem7ps

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
While I don't have an iPad yet, I'll most likely purchase the second generation soon after it comes out.

I've thought about this issue a lot. I have an Incase sleeve and backpack that I use with my MBP everyday. For over two and a half years I haven't had any issues with protecting the notebook.

I'm really curious how people carry their iPads around campus or on a commute to work. I'm not worried about the aluminum back, but cracking the glass screen seems possible in a backpack with books, even if the iPad is in a sleeve and it's own separate compartment. I hope I am wrong about this, though.

TheShinyMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2009
I use the apple case, while slidding it into my laptop compartment in my computer. it works flawlessly

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
That's actually really reassuring that the Apple case can protect the screen in that scenario. Thanks for the heads up.

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
I bought a cheap neoprene sleeve, and had a 3mm aluminium plate made in the size of the ipad, for a few bucks.
covered the alu with sticky back felt, and put it inside the sleeve, and sits against the iPad screen.

I can now almost sit on my ipad sleeve this thing is strong :)

gnychis

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
both my girlfriend and i use the apple case for our ipads in our backpack, and neither of us have had a problem.

smetvid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2009
I bought a netbook bag for my iPad. It has a lot of padding and was $15.00. I have seen iPad cases almost copy the same case for $50.00. Seriously look at netbook cases and save some money. They are designed for a heavier product so they are more robust.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.