Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maxi86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
Hey folks!

I got myself a 27" iMac a few months ago, I'm very pleased with it, but I must say there are 2 little things bothering me...
1) it has no Blu-ray drive
2) no HDMI input/output

Currently I've installed Windows 7 Ultimate Edition via BootCamp and I'm using a Mini DisplayPort + USB to Dual-Link DVI Adapter to connect it to my 30" Dell monitor (which unfortunately doesn't have an HDMI input either).
This works in both OS'es.

The only thing I want more is to be able to play my Blu-ray movies on my iMac.
I've got a PS3 and I ordered a Kanex XD to connect it to my iMac. But that method prooved troublesome and so far it hasn't worked out for me.

So I've a few questions:
1) is it possible to play my Blu-rays on some other way on my iMac? I suppose that brings me to external Blu-ray players... is this an expensive way?
2) does anyone have experience with Kanex XD? or something similar? what is the proper way to make this work? and is it important in which OS you try this?
3) is it possible to replace the internal drive? it sounds a bit radical I know, but just wanna think out of the box :p

Last edited:

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
All you have to do is set the ps3 to 720p you can try 1080p but sometimes it dosent work with the adapter. Also the picture will be slightly pixalated due to the iMacs high resolution but not too bad watch a 720p YouTube video it's the same and your limited to stero sound but all in all it's a great setup. Check out Boxee it will make your iMac more like a tv.

Maxi86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
@Airforcekid which OS do you recommend to try? Windows or Mac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.