Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chadalac2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
This really does not belong here but I was not sure where to it :D ...
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I figure some PowerPC people might have a hackint0sh laying around.
I recently bought a Seagate 320 gb external hard drive and wanted to boot osx from it. I want to leave my laptops hdd alone. My hp laptop supports it, but I have no idea where to start at (other than double checking the specs).
I have been googling for quite awhile now and have come across so many methods. I have checked MRoogle, but I just wanted some insight while I was searching :)

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the noobness, lol. :p

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
not to sound like a deuce bag, but if you cannot even figure out what to do (like read everything on http://www.osx86project.org/ )then you have no business or place running osx on x86 hardware.

do yourself a favor and go and buy a mac. OSX on non supported intel hardware is a nightmare, (though much less these days), and even more of a nightmare updating OSX.

Its a hassle....

pls go and read everything you can on the above website, then ask there if you are still way keen...

good luck

Chadalac2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
It may be a hassle, but its something I want to do. I did check the site before I posted and there was no good guide for an external hdd. I have my reasons for wanting to install osx on a pc.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Have you read everything on that link? If not, that's a great place to start. Your HP doesn't "support" OS X, though it may be compatible. If you've got one of the few non-Apple laptops that's fully OS X compatible, you're dang lucky.

Go the most legal route possible. Buy Snow Leopard (it's only $30) so that you have a legal copy, since in order to install it you have to download a patched version.

Also, this really isn't the place for a Hackintosh thread. There's a huge merged thread in the Mac OS X sub-forum, have you looked through that? I wouldn't be surprised if this gets merged with that one eventually.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
Check out insanelymac.com also. Lots over there. Also, unless you have one of the ones with weird USB quirks, then just install it the same as if the drive were internal. Mac isn't picky like that.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
I got a hackintosh notebook pc and it is working very well up until now. Updated to 10.6.6, "Snow Leopard" retail install. Got Mac App Store on it, and it's been running pretty well, maybe for a couple of years now, I have leopard on it before. It could boot on an external USB drive but it would be slow.

Creative One

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2009
Ontario
This is a Mac forum, for true mac owners. This is not a forum to talk about illegally installing Mac OS X on inferior hardware. Also, how do you even think the PowerPC forum is the best for OSX86?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This is a Mac forum, for true mac owners. This is not a forum to talk about illegally installing Mac OS X on inferior hardware. Also, how do you even think the PowerPC forum is the best for OSX86?

Its not illegal and there's lots of threads here MR talking about hackintoshes. This is the wrong forum and I suggest the OP search/mroogle them.

The success/failure of doing a hackintosh boils down to compatible hardware and the forums over at insanelymac should be quite helpful.

As for the crack about inferior hardware, my hackintosh is actually superior hardware. I have to notch components that exceed what apple provides. I'm running a Core i7 930 processor with a better case, memory, power supply and GPU then what apple provides. In fact my machine is compariable to the Mac Pro but was built for only 1,000 where as the MacPro costs 2,500.

If you want to pay for apple products, fine, but don't blindly and ignorantly claim non apple components are inferior. [/rant] :)

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
not illegal (in the criminal sense).
not necessarily inferior hardware.
definitely correct about it being the wrong forum though! :D

KadMac

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2009
As for the crack about inferior hardware, my hackintosh is actually superior hardware. I have to notch components that exceed what apple provides. I'm running a Core i7 930 processor with a better case, memory, power supply and GPU then what apple provides. In fact my machine is compariable to the Mac Pro but was built for only 1,000 where as the MacPro costs 2,500.

Not to be a jerk, but what case did you use? I have been looking for a good case to use as well and wanted to find a good quality case.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I purchased the Silverstone Fortress FT02b (black) case.

This is one of the best cases for air cooled setups
ft02b.png

Between the monster Noctua NH-D14 cpu cooler and this case, I have the Core i7 2.8GHz overclocked to 3.5GHz and my temps are constant under 34c.

The case has a great minimalistic industrial look like the MacPro, the positive air flow design moves some serious air across the components and surprisingly its not loud. I've had louder cases, in fact this replaced an antec 300 case which was much louder.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
The case has a great minimalistic industrial look like the MacPro, the positive air flow design moves some serious air across the components and surprisingly its not loud.
Interesting design. So any cables you attach to expansion cards plug in to the top?!?

The mini ATX version (FT03) is interesting too, but will only take a slimline ODD.

B

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There's cut outs on the case to route all cabling behind the mother board pan. This makes cable management much cleaner and keeps the air flow unimpeded.

KadMac

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2009
The case has a great minimalistic industrial look like the MacPro, the positive air flow design moves some serious air across the components and surprisingly its not loud. I've had louder cases, in fact this replaced an antec 300 case which was much louder.

This really does look like a great case. So you find the quality of the case compares to the Mac Pro? I have seen some PC cases where it just feels like a big metal box.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have seen some PC cases where it just feels like a big metal box.
And the Mac Pro isn't ;)

Seriously cases from Fortress, Corsair, LIAN LI and others have been pushing the envelope on design, looks and quality for a while now.

The great thing about building your own rig is you get to choose the components, I opted for an aggressive cooling path with a great case and the best CPU cooler out there.

If you do your home work before spending a dime, you'll have a great time building the computer.

I can see my core i7 lasting me many years because of the components I selected.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
And the Mac Pro isn't ;)

Seriously cases from Fortress, Corsair, LIAN LI and others have been pushing the envelope on design, looks and quality for a while now.

The great thing about building your own rig is you get to choose the components, I opted for an aggressive cooling path with a great case and the best CPU cooler out there.

If you do your home work before spending a dime, you'll have a great time building the computer.

I can see my core i7 lasting me many years because of the components I selected.

The Mac Pro is much more than a box - it has handles! ;)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The Mac Pro is much more than a box - it has handles! ;)

It needs handles because how else will the fork lift be able to grab on to it :eek:

Seriously, my current case is great with one exception. the absence of said handles. This makes moving it a bit difficult. While the need to move a tower case is rare, there are times that you need too.

For instance I need access to the filters to clean them out (yes this case includes filters to keep the inside case dust free).

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
It needs handles because how else will the fork lift be able to grab on to it :eek:

Seriously, my current case is great with one exception. the absence of said handles. This makes moving it a bit difficult. While the need to move a tower case is rare, there are times that you need too.

For instance I need access to the filters to clean them out (yes this case includes filters to keep the inside case dust free).

Your forgetting the most vital use of said handles - when using your Mac Pro as a foot-rest, it stops your feet falling off the end....or maybe thats just me.

Creative One

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2009
Ontario
Its not illegal and there's lots of threads here MR talking about hackintoshes. This is the wrong forum and I suggest the OP search/mroogle them.

The success/failure of doing a hackintosh boils down to compatible hardware and the forums over at insanelymac should be quite helpful.

If you want to pay for apple products, fine, but don't blindly and ignorantly claim non apple components are inferior. [/rant] :)

I am sorry if that came across as rather blind and ignorant. I will say there are many nicer PC's then Macs but, the majority of the OSX86 base (blind statement) many people running OSX86 do it because they cannot afford a real Mac. It is a hassle to do it (at least way back before I got a mac it was, from what I understand now it's a lot easier), and even myself, am going to get a PC in the spring just for the 3D capabilities Nvidia cards are offering. But all in all MOST Macs are better built, internally and most certainly externally then the average Dell/HP PC today.

Sorry for that off track/un-grammasized (new word) post, i've had a few.

KadMac

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2009

Can you list the exact hardware you used for your hackintosh in regards to the motherboard, ect?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Sure, here you go.

the only thing I think I could have improved upon was the motherboard. In my initial research I was under the mistaken understanding that the P6T would be an easy MB to load OSX on. There's two other P6T motherboards, an SE version and a deluxe. These are the ones that are better. Gigabyte motherboards are generally more compatible as well, but I perfer ASUS so I went with the P6T. My advise and search out insanelymac,com, there's a number of guides based on motherboards and you can see which ones have the features you want and how easy/hard loading OSX is on. You have to be careful about which GPU you choose because apple only uses a small number of video cards so you need to get one that's compatible.

CPU..............Intel Core i7-930
CPU Cooler.......Noctua NH-D14
MotherBoard......ASUS P6T
Case.............SILVERSTONE Fortress Series FT02B
PSU..............EarthWatts 650 Watt ATX 12V Power Supply
Ram..............Gold XTC 6GB DDR3-1600
Video............GeForce GTX 260
HD...............WD Caviar Black 500gb
HD...............WD Caviar Black 1,000gb
Optical..........LG DVD burner

KadMac

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2009
Sure, here you go.

the only thing I think I could have improved upon was the motherboard. In my initial research I was under the mistaken understanding that the P6T would be an easy MB to load OSX on. There's two other P6T motherboards, an SE version and a deluxe. These are the ones that are better. Gigabyte motherboards are generally more compatible as well, but I perfer ASUS so I went with the P6T. My advise and search out insanelymac,com, there's a number of guides based on motherboards and you can see which ones have the features you want and how easy/hard loading OSX is on. You have to be careful about which GPU you choose because apple only uses a small number of video cards so you need to get one that's compatible.

CPU..............Intel Core i7-930
CPU Cooler.......Noctua NH-D14
MotherBoard......ASUS P6T
Case.............SILVERSTONE Fortress Series FT02B
PSU..............EarthWatts 650 Watt ATX 12V Power Supply
Ram..............Gold XTC 6GB DDR3-1600
Video............GeForce GTX 260
HD...............WD Caviar Black 500gb
HD...............WD Caviar Black 1,000gb
Optical..........LG DVD burner

This looks great, maflynn! Thanks. :)

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
i did want something small and because my iBook 1.42 which i bought for the garden in summer just exploded last year ,so i bought a hackintosh netbooK the MSI wind running snow leopard back then 10.6.5 , performance was about in between the original MacBook air 1.66 and my iBook 1.42 ,but closer to the air

installing OSX was as easy as installing OSX on any Mac , some minor problems like getting a external display to work and such , but manageable without much knowledge and just like the real thing , looks like a small sister of the white MacBook for only a quarter of the price and lighter then a eMac to carry 3 floors down in the garden ,the main reason i bought it had been the still way overpriced iBooks available ,some ask as much for a iBook ,as i payed for the iMac core duo , but with not working batteries and other small things like not working usb/firewire a , so i thought better a full working refurb MSI wind netbook with warranty for £200 then a faulty 5 -6 year old iBook for £300...even if the faults are minor
downside the british summer always came when i was at work , so the hackbook did not get much use , at the end i sold it ,

would i spend money on a hackintosh again ...it depends for the reason above small netbook hackintoshed as second or third machine yes of course

but building a hackintosh as main computer from scratch sourcing all the hardware together to get something that might fail after the next update of osx ...no , then i would rather buy a PowerMac g5 dualcore 2.3 again , fast, reliable and runs osx without problem and without the fear "will the next update of OSX work "

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.