Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue001

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2010
Just watched The Descent, highly recommend to you guys if you still have not watched.;)

littleman23408

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
The most recent movie I watched was The A-Team. Action packed, and overall a pretty cool movie. The movie went by real fast and was funny also. I will easily watch this movie again.

I liked how the music in the movie was not thrice as loud as the dialect. So it was nice not have to keep changing the volume on the movie.

dbales

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2009
It's not really a movie. It's the entire third season of Avatar: The last Airbender. I made the mistake of watching M. Night shaywmatchucallits version. I'm trying to erase the memory of it. Hopefully.

Avatar the series. What a fantastic experience that was. :)

Contrast it with the abomination that was Shamalangadingdong's version. :rolleyes:

dbales

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2009
The most recent movie I watched was The A-Team. Action packed, and overall a pretty cool movie. The movie went by real fast and was funny also. I will easily watch this movie again.

I liked how the music in the movie was not thrice as loud as the dialect. So it was nice not have to keep changing the volume on the movie.

The A-Team was really, really fun. Highly recommend it.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Just saw True Grit. It was better than the original, but Jeff Bridges pronunciation bugged me a little. Thumbs up.

I just saw True Grit last night and I thought it was very well done. Bridges, Damon, etc., did a great job, especially the little girl who played the main character.

Mitchelino

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Last movie I saw was Observe and Report. Bought it on sale from iTunes a few days ago. Worth the sale price, or rental price, but not that good of a movie; it had a few good laughs, though.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Book of Eli- Although I really don't believe God would go out of his way to save any particular holy book, I found this movie intriguing. Don't mess with Eli! ;)

Last edited:

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Book of Eli- Although I really don't believe God would go out of his way to save any particular holy book, I found this movie intriguing. Don't mess with Eli! ;)

I don't think it's really about "God" in itself. If you noticed, the young ppl don't even have a concept of what God is...or religion even. It can be interpreted that "faith" is what binds people together and gives them hope...especially in times of despiration like in that apocalyptic world. After all, he did die...under "God's protection". That's the reason why that villain wanted it. Because with those words from the bible comes power. He can use it to bring the "word of God" to his ppl which would like in the past, united them under his banner granting him a sort of leadership similar to how kings were. In a way, his intentions were noble, but he just went about a ruthless way of doing it. To reunite mankind in a big country, so to speak, needs the "higher power" to fear and love and follow.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I don't think it's really about "God" in itself. If you noticed, the young ppl don't even have a concept of what God is...or religion even. It can be interpreted that "faith" is what binds people together and gives them hope...especially in times of despiration like in that apocalyptic world. After all, he did die...under "God's protection". That's the reason why that villain wanted it. Because with those words from the bible comes power. He can use it to bring the "word of God" to his ppl which would like in the past, united them under his banner granting him a sort of leadership similar to how kings were. In a way, his intentions were noble, but he just went about a ruthless way of doing it. To reunite mankind in a big country, so to speak, needs the "higher power" to fear and love and follow.

I agree with you that the bad guy wanted this book for the purpose of controlling people, a tradition in religion. :) Regardless of how you feel about God, this was definitely a movie portraying God's protection of an individual on a mission from God. There are too many factors that come into play, especially when you take in consideration the physical limitation of Eli. I'm getting into spoiler territory now so I'll stop.

We (the wife and I) just watched an oldie and some might call a goodie (my wife did not like it), Clockwork Orange a highly stylized film with an interesting concept for controlling bad individuals in society, the morality of choice or immorality of having no choice all sprinkled with a high degree of sexual imagery for 1971, so much so, that originally a knee jerk reaction by the film board rated it "X". About half way through I said, hey that's the guy from Star Trek! :)

A-Clockwork-Orange-a-clockwork-orange-323590_719_430.jpg

MV5BMTkyNDg3NzMzOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTQwNTExMw@@._V1._SY314_CR7,0,214,314_.jpg

Age is so cruel. I say this as I look in my own mirror. ;)

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Recently watched:

Inception
Dinner for Schmucks
The Social Network
Salt
Edge of Darkness
Unthinkable
Green Zone

All fantastic movies. Inception and Edge of Darkness are particularly well done.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
I watched Inception recently and I thought it was unconvincing drivel. No character development, tacky effects and holes in the plot you could drive a truck through.

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Most movies suck these days. They just do a small twist on a played out story that was successful in the past when film was first invented, add some special effects, hire some hot actors, and call it a hit. Either that or remake a comic book now that technology makes it possible to add better graphics to the same crappy storyline. :p

JulesNYC

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
I just saw True Grit last night and I thought it was very well done. Bridges, Damon, etc., did a great job, especially the little girl who played the main character.

I just saw this a couple of days ago and I totally agree. I especially enjoyed Matt Damon's and Hailee Steinfeld's performances. I'm looking forward to seeing the original with the Duke (recently added it to my Netflix queue), as well as reading the novel.

Shakko

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2008
I just saw Kick Ass last nigh and it was hilarious. From the trailers, I always thought that there would be more super heros, but it was still pretty funny to watch. I definitely didn't expect so much blood in there caused by the little girl.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Over the weekend I watched an interesting movie called The Joneses. I must say it has a very interesting plot line that makes you think. Of course there's a love story thrown in as well, but that's not the part that interested me. I don't even remember the movie being in the theatre, but I'd say it's worth watching.

applemike

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Recently downloaded and watched a load of movies, have over 120 in my digital collection. Just been watching Repo Men, a lovely very gory (rated 18) movie about men who retrieve organs from people. full IMDb Link Here. others just watched,
Hot Fuzz,
Memento,
The expendables,
Snatch,
revolver

Going through a bit of a Jason Statham phase, seem almost all of his movies.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I heard Ms. Portman might win an Oscar for her performance. Likely?

Just saw The Girl Who Played With Fire (foreign)- mostly true to the book, but it was lacking. Wait for the Hollywood version.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.