Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RebeccaL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
I have been using Rememberthemilk.

I am considering switching to this due to all the hype. But I am worried about them collecting and selling personal data (there is absolutely no revenue model currently and the app is made by a company not a single developer). Plus the PC version install the Titanium toolkit without a way to uninstall it.

RebeccaL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
The latest version of Wunderlist is making email registration obligatory.

That looks fishy.

jive turkey

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
It's the best free option for syncing tasks to your iphone, IMO. Not very powerful, but it works well at what it does. I'm not sure how it is now, but when I started using the app, there wasn't an email verification process or anything. I have a special email account that I only use for signups so I'm not worried about spam, as it is only checked when needed, but I didn't get any verification email, anyway. You could probably make something up.

It is worth looking at, but you might want to be safe and use a junk email. It isn't the greatest app in the land, but it does fill a need for free.

gks

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
It's a free app that will need to make money eventually. So, my guess is that there will be ads or a pro version soon enough.

It's a nice app but very limited. Sure won't be replacing OmniFocus.. but is a nice step above Things due to the ability to sync over the net.

robfern

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2011
I move a lot. Sorry.
I've just started using it and so far so good. I can't get used to the to do section in iCal. Wished it would work like this app. I need something that will give me a reminder when it is due by such time or day.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
Forget Evernote, Wunderlist is way better as a to-do list. Wunderlist is small so it opens quickly, which is what I really want in a to-do app, and they have an OSX app as well that syncs with the iPhone one.

Evernote definitely has its uses, though now I use Springpad for the same kind of stuff and prefer it. But both have the same problem IMO, they're too loaded down with features so they don't operate fast enough.

RebeccaL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
I just cheked that in the latest update they removed the obligatory registration due to complains in the Appstore. Looks like I'm not the only one worried. (I don't post or read reviews on the appstore, too much crap)

I am also using a disposable email address for the registration until these guys Post a clear privacy policy and explain how the make a living. The latest news in their site says they raised €500,000 ($680,850). Incredible for a free app with no ads!

About Evernote vs Wunderlist: They are totally different apps and I think they should not be compared. Evernote is great for note taking and webclipping. It can take text voice or picture notes in multiple notebooks and and convert picture to text. It is great. But it is not a dedicated todo list.

Wunderlist is a dedicated to do app. The best competitor would be RTM which is also a dedicated todo list that also syncs online.

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
About Evernote vs Wunderlist: They are totally different apps and I think they should not be compared. Evernote is great for note taking and webclipping. It can take text voice or picture notes in multiple notebooks and and convert picture to text. It is great. But it is not a dedicated todo list.

+1

I have no idea why Evernote and Wunderlist are being compared.
Sure they both have cloud syncing but thats about the only similarity.

RebeccaL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
+1

I have no idea why Evernote and Wunderlist are being compared.
Sure they both have cloud syncing but thats about the only similarity.

Thanks.

Yes these two apps are on a completely different category. A fitting comparison for Evernote is the recently released Onenote.
Still wondering how Wunderteam makes so much money w. the free app.

jive turkey

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
My guess it is brand building. They are making a name for themselves with free software, then will charge for the "next big thing" (as their website calls it) when they release whatever is next.

I know nothing about the company or it's revenue stream, but I figure this free app is all about promoting the brand name.

Edit: Just looked at the website and there is a blog post discussing the possibility of a more feature-rich paid version. Right now it appears all of their money has come from investors.

RebeccaL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
My guess it is brand building. They are making a name for themselves with free software, then will charge for the "next big thing" (as their website calls it) when they release whatever is next.

I know nothing about the company or it's revenue stream, but I figure this free app is all about promoting the brand name.

Edit: Just looked at the website and there is a blog post discussing the possibility of a more feature-rich paid version. Right now it appears all of their money has come from investors.

Brand recognition, that's similar to the 1 cent cases.

Investors. That makes sense. Still $680,850 is a lot of money to bet on a company that no one knows if is going to succeed or fail. Their next great program Wunderkit sounds similar in features to Google Wave. And Wave even being free failed.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
Investors. That makes sense. Still $680,850 is a lot of money to bet on a company that no one knows if is going to succeed or fail. Their next great program Wunderkit sounds similar in features to Google Wave. And Wave even being free failed.

That's really not that much. I read an article a month or two ago (which I looked for but can't find) that wondered if there was a 2nd "internet bubble" building. It cited case after case of companies getting 2, 3, 5 million dollar investments from "angel investors" that barely have a concept and only have a couple employees.

Case in point, look at Groupon REJECTING Google's offer of $5 billion. That's a ridiculous amount of money for a company that has been valued at more like $2-3 billion at most.

RebeccaL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
That's really not that much. I read an article a month or two ago (which I looked for but can't find) that wondered if there was a 2nd "internet bubble" building. It cited case after case of companies getting 2, 3, 5 million dollar investments from "angel investors" that barely have a concept and only have a couple employees.

Case in point, look at Groupon REJECTING Google's offer of $5 billion. That's a ridiculous amount of money for a company that has been valued at more like $2-3 billion at most.

Interesting. I should write a free App to see if a company gives me at least half a million. :D

On a serious note, yes it is looking a lot like that internet bubble that burst. Many start up companies with lots of cash to burn...

The more I read about Wunderkit the more it looks like the ill fated Google Wave but payed for instead of free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.