Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

budster23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
Samsung 6000 series LCD with internet@TV (I live outside the UK)

Now the theory goes that I should be able to use a VPN to connect my Samsung TV (as I do for my Mac where I can watch BBC iPlayer etc in Holland) to a VPN (via the router specifying the TV's IP address) and then I should be able to get BBC iPLayer and other UK widgets for Samsung internet@TV.

Has anyone tried this method? I would love to know if it works - as I have no idea how to set up the VPN router side (I normally just connect through my Mac).

Advice would be appreciated. Cheers.

budster23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
Thanks for the reply. I will PM you once I get 5 posts. (the minimum posts before you can pm a member).

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2004
UK
Samsung 6000 series LCD with internet@TV (I live outside the UK)

Now the theory goes that I should be able to use a VPN to connect my Samsung TV (as I do for my Mac where I can watch BBC iPlayer etc in Holland) to a VPN (via the router specifying the TV's IP address) and then I should be able to get BBC iPLayer and other UK widgets for Samsung internet@TV.

Has anyone tried this method? I would love to know if it works - as I have no idea how to set up the VPN router side (I normally just connect through my Mac).

Advice would be appreciated. Cheers.
I thought there were reports that the BBC was going to introduce a paid-for iPlayer service for people abroad. That might help.

Also, just wondering if you pay a UK TV licence fee? If so, and you have a home in the UK, you could set up a Slingbox for access abroad, although obviously that wouldn't enable your Samsung TV to access iPlayer on its own.

budster23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
I thought there were reports that the BBC was going to introduce a paid-for iPlayer service for people abroad. That might help.

Also, just wondering if you pay a UK TV licence fee? If so, and you have a home in the UK, you could set up a Slingbox for access abroad, although obviously that wouldn't enable your Samsung TV to access iPlayer on its own.

Yes, I currently have full access to iPlayer through my Mac with a VPN. Unfortunately I don't have a home in the UK so slingbox wouldn't really work. I'd welcome the paid for service as it would probably be cheaper than paying for the VPN - and probably more reliable too.

StivVid

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2011
Looking for the same solution...

Hi, budster23. I've got a Samsung telly too and have been trying to find the same solution you're seeking here. Have you had any luck? I'm in Ireland and would like to use the BBC iPlayer and LOVEFiLM through Internet@TV.

lafirzaman

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2011
Samsung Inernet@TV iPlayer not found

Hi guys,
I live in UK and got Samsung TV with Internet@TV, I can find Lovefilm.com and other new Apps but I'm not getting BBC iPlayer.
Can anyone tell me why and how can I find it.

I searched Samsung Apps page and there are many Apps but not iPlayer
Thanks

peteknopp

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
Vpn

Budster - I'm in same boat in Portugal and have iplayer via VPN but the VPN only hides your address in Safari or a browser, not in mail programs or anything else. I too would like to hide my whole identity so I can use iplayer on my samsung. Pls let me know if you get a fix. ps I use Netshade at 21€ a year to hide my mac

AshMan

macrumors regular
May 1, 2010
I would start by looking into a router that may support making the vpn connection and allowing it to be shared over the router. Perhaps a router with DD-WRT, or tomato or one of the other custom firmwares can do this...

That way the router makes the vpn connection and passes the data from the connected device to the vpn...

Just a thought.

tiberius72

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2011
I would start by looking into a router that may support making the vpn connection and allowing it to be shared over the router. Perhaps a router with DD-WRT, or tomato or one of the other custom firmwares can do this...

That way the router makes the vpn connection and passes the data from the connected device to the vpn...

Just a thought.

I am thinking that this is probably the only way as well. I live in the US and pay a UK License fee.

Now how can we have the router automatically create and keep this connection.... Setting up openVPN is not a problem.

Thoughts anyone ?

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
I am thinking that this is probably the only way as well. I live in the US and pay a UK License fee.

Now how can we have the router automatically create and keep this connection.... Setting up openVPN is not a problem.

Thoughts anyone ?

Depends on the routers firmware of course, so you'll have to be more specific.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
You could create an AdHoc network between your PC and TV, then set up Internet sharing with a proxy (I don't know if Windows can do this, but OSX can)

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
You could create an AdHoc network between your PC and TV, then set up Internet sharing with a proxy (I don't know if Windows can do this, but OSX can)

I tired something like this; had my iMac going through a VPN/Proxy service but couldnt get my Roku or PS3 to connect to my iMac and use its internet shared access, wired or wirelessly.

donbrown

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2013
Is great to finally see Television sets that are actually intelligent enough to carry VPN connections, finally sticks it to the cable companies having the monopoly on things. Ive been using http://www.changeipvpn.com for BBC iPlayer & HULU in the Carribean, works fine on my iPad, would love to know how to set it up on this TV though and where I can buy in in Bahamas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.