Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samratm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2009
India
Hello,

I want to use my MacBook Pro extensively for my day to day use, so I don't think running my MBP on battery with the power cord plugged in is always advisable.

Is it possible to remove the battery and run my MBP with power cord plugged in ?

Is this safe??

iPhoneCollector

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2010
Home
its really hard to remove the battery (i.e you have to remove the whole bottom of the unibody). i would say its not that much of a problem to use the power supply. if your battery dies then just let apple replace it. no big deal.

samratm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2009
India
its really hard to remove the battery (i.e you have to remove the whole bottom of the unibody). i would say its not that much of a problem to use the power supply. if your battery dies then just let apple replace it. no big deal.

Apple doesn't replaces battery for free and my MBP is out of warranty.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
The battery cycles itself be letting itself uncharge to 95% and back up to 100% on a regular basis. If you unplug the MBP once in a while for an hour or two or if you bring it with you to watch TV on the couch it's fine.

You can keep it plugged in at all times without damaging the battery all that much, just try and think to unplug it for a few hours once in a while to keep the electrons moving and you'll be perfectly fine. My pre-unibody MBP has been plugged in 75% of it's life and the battery health still shows 80%.

Mabyboi

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2010
Ontario, Canada
The battery cycles itself be letting itself uncharge to 95% and back up to 100% on a regular basis. If you unplug the MBP once in a while for an hour or two or if you bring it with you to watch TV on the couch it's fine.

You can keep it plugged in at all times without damaging the battery all that much, just try and think to unplug it for a few hours once in a while to keep the electrons moving and you'll be perfectly fine. My pre-unibody MBP has been plugged in 75% of it's life and the battery health still shows 80%.

Thats what normal batteries do, but i remember seeing a video on apples website about their new batteries (the ones in the Macbooks now) saying that once the battery was at 100% it stopped charging the battery and just devotes the power to the computer when using it... ill see if I can find the video about it..

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The battery cycles itself be letting itself uncharge to 95% and back up to 100% on a regular basis.
That's not true. Read the FAQ (link in 2nd post in this thread) and play special attention to the section "CHARGING".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.