Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MoodyM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
My iPhone 4 (4.1 firmware) has started rebooting constantly, never getting past the Apple logo.

Sometimes the "connect to iTunes" logo comes up, and plugging it into the PC tells me iTunes has found an iPhone in Recovery mode, but I can't get it to stay on long enough to Restore, it reboots all the time.

I thought about trying DFU mode, but I don't know how to get it into DFU mode when it's constantly rebooting.

Help appreciated.

polishmacuser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2007
Los Angeles
hold the sleep/wake button and home button for 10 seconds then release the sleep/wake button but keep holding the home button until itunes recognizes its in "recovery mode"(dfu). The screen wont show anything on the iphone, but iTunes will recognize it.

MoodyM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Thanks, yeah, I knew that was how to get it into DFU mode, but I couldn't, because during the "hold for 10 seconds", the phone would reboot.

I eventually got it into DFU mode (I knew because Windows said it found new hardware "Apple iPhone (DFU mode)", and the screen was black).

During the 15 minutes it took in iTunes to download the 4.2.1 update, the phone didn't reboot at all, so I though "great".

I did the Restore, and everything went as it should during a Restore (white progress bar on iPhone, iTunes saying the phone had been successfully restored at the end), but once it was done the iPhone rebooted and went back into the constant rebooting problem.

Any more ideas?

vachargerfan

macrumors regular
May 28, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sounds like you have a hardware problem. You will need to get apple to look at it

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
OP, you are leaving out some key details:

1. Are you running a jailbroken firmware?
2. Are you trying to restore to 4.1 without shsh backup?

If you are using the word DFU...all signs are pointing towards you are running a jailbroken 4.1 version of iOS. It could be corrupted and unless you backed it up, you will need to restore to 4.2.1 and lose your jailbreak.

vachargerfan

macrumors regular
May 28, 2008
OP, you are leaving out some key details:

1. Are you running a jailbroken firmware?
2. Are you trying to restore to 4.1 without shsh backup?

If you are using the word DFU...all signs are pointing towards you are running a jailbroken 4.1 version of iOS. It could be corrupted and unless you backed it up, you will need to restore to 4.2.1 and lose your jailbreak.

His other post says he downloaded 4.2.1 and restored it. He has a hardware problem with the phone. Should be able to get it swapped out at the Apple store

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.