Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gvsbdisco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
Hi Folks
Looking for a little guidance before I pull the trigger on purchasing an Apple TV.

1. Does anybody know how many movies are available for rental through iTunes in Canada? I couldn't find it anywhere through the iTunes interface but I must admit I am not that familiar with it. We currently use zip.ca for movie rentals (similar to Netflix but in Canada) and I wanted to get a sense of how the library size compares (I think zip has 7K movies).

2. I have two mac laptops and an imac networked through a Time Capsule at home. I want to be able to stream content from the network through the ATV to our tv (for example avi files..). It is my understanding that to do this I need a third party program like Boxee. Just looking for confirmation here. Is there other ways of doing this?

3. Also, I understand that b/c I am in Canada even though I load boxee I will still have content blocked (for example, hulu). I have also read that even if I use a program like Hotspot Shield, Hulu will still not stream. However, if I load patchstick before I load boxee then I can purchase a private vpn and then hulu, cbs and all previously blocked content should stream okay? Can someone confirm this

4. Do I need patchstick to use boxee on the ATV? If not, what are some of the advantages of purchasing Patchstick (beyond getting access to an integrated private vpn (additional cost)).

Thanks everyone.

Siriosys

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2007
New Zealand
gvsbdisco

I have just purchased an ATV a week ago and actually made use of the Patchstick.ca product to get my unit to a point I was happy with.

Like you, I wanted to stream all kinds of movie files that were stored on my Apple iMac and the patchstick product absolutely enabled me to do that very very easily. It also enabled me to use RSS Feeds, web browsing from the couch (CouchSurfer), FTP and SSH into my AppleTV etc etc. Sapphire is also a lovely piece of software if you're into TV series and want to have them appear on nice menus etc etc.

With regards to enabling content intended for only the US audience, I have not as yet attempted this, but I believe that Hotspot Shield can 'hide' your real physical location.

All things I've mentioned above come on the Patchstick product and are also possibly available with other alternatives including doing it all yourself.

By nature, I'm lazy and given that I work in IT all day, I don't want to come home and have to do it - so for me the Patchstick solution was ideal. The support I got from the guy was superb.

Cheers

Rob

ClassicBean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Torontoland
I use my :apple:TV pretty much exclusively for renting movies (I also stream music from my :apple:TV to speakers in another room from time to time).

The HD movie rental offering is pretty much identical to what's available on the US store. My only gripe is that some movies take a few weeks to go from for sale to for rent on iTunes (Canada and US). This isn't a huge deal for me because I have the patience to wait. If I really want to see a movie that's not yet out on iTunes, I'll go grab the blu-ray at Rogers or Blockbuster.

I don't illegally download movies, nor do I rip my own DVDs, so I don't see the need to hack my :apple:TV. And I'm not interested in streaming other internet video to my TV so the :apple:TV does exactly what I want.

neillevels

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2011
I would suggest you to go for dvdlink.ca. They have a collection of more than 22000 titles to choose from. The best thing about it being that they offer both movies and games at the same price.

quicksilver77

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2005
Nova Scotia, Canada
Live in Canada.

Hacked my 1st gen Apple TV with the free utility. Bought RemoteHD to use with my iPhone for keyboard input. Works like a charm.

I would not bother paying for the hack it is very easy to do with a google search.

I can stream all kinds of files wirelessly but do find some of my MKV rips do not play. For .avi files you should have no problem.

I gave up on using a vpn service because it was too slow for watching things when I have the time. I do not want to wait for things to buffer or have it stop in the middle of a video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.