Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

1Password is awesome. I wish the iPhone and iPad app weren't separate purchase though.

The Phone app works just fine on the iPad. I too made the same mistake but mine was on the day it was released.

magentawave

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
I've been using Lastpass for over a year now and couldn't imagine being without it. Actually I can because I don't have it on my Android phone. Does anyone know if Lastpass has an app for the Android and if its any good?

Thanks
Steve

Big D 51

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
Mobile, AL
Obviously you all think 1password is very secure since most of you are using it. Is it almost impossible for someone to get this data?

I am interested but seems to scary to me to think if one was able to get the file, they would have it all.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I've used both 1password and Lastpass. I prefer Lastpass. It integrates with the web browser, Safari, Firefox and it OS unspecific. So I use my same account at work on my Win7 PC and at home on my iMac and MBP.

Caleb531

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
I've been using Lastpass for over a year now and couldn't imagine being without it. Actually I can because I don't have it on my Android phone. Does anyone know if Lastpass has an app for the Android and if its any good?

Thanks
Steve

According to the LastPass site, they do as part of a Premium account (which is $1 a month).

Mic360

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2009

Thanks
Steve

Yea they do, it is part of the premium membership wich was said above. I love lastpass and now they own xmarks (which also has a app). Cant go wrong with that combo.

MovingWater

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2010
Canada
Strong vote for 1Password. 1Password exists for Macs, iPad, iPhone, and Windows. They have a Macs+Windows bundle. 1Password syncs with Dropbox. You can use 1PasswordAnywhere to access your 1Password file when on a computer not having 1Password installed (there is a short video on
http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/1passwordanywhere.html). 1Password can be used to store much more than just passwords, e.g. secure notes, account information, credit card information and other stuff one may carry around, software licenses. It's an app that just works! Beautiful and reliable. Highly recommended.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
+1. I don't use the anywhere feature because I want to control that data. Just don't trust cloud systems yet. 1Password though lives on my home computer, iPhone and iPad and I've had no issues yet.

Strong vote for 1Password. 1Password exists for Macs, iPad, iPhone, and Windows. They have a Macs+Windows bundle. 1Password syncs with Dropbox. You can use 1PasswordAnywhere to access your 1Password file when on a computer not having 1Password installed (there is a short video on
http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/1passwordanywhere.html). 1Password can be used to store much more than just passwords, e.g. secure notes, account information, credit card information and other stuff one may carry around, software licenses. It's an app that just works! Beautiful and reliable. Highly recommended.

jrock2004

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2008
PA
I love 1Password but the only issue I see with any management tool like this is you are locked into them. When I mean is after using it for a little while and making such great passwords you are stuck if you cannot access the app. My example is in Linux or at work PC. Yes you can use the anywhere part of it but just a pain.

Well worth it I would go 1password all the way.
:apple:

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
Used to use 1Password but got tired of waiting for windows and WebOS version at that time. Asked them in forums couple of times if there is going to be any other mobile client besides iOS. Got a canned reply "we are concentrating on iOS". I had enough pay over $60 for upgrades and mobile iOS version and ended up switching to lastpass. Works great, never had a problem, was able to import all my info from 1password and its $1 a month for mobile access which works great on my android phone. Finally agile came around and released windows and android beta apps. But guess what, too late for me and switching these types of apps is a pain. One thing that lastpass did for me was kind of "force" me to create one password per site. I couldn't do this with 1password because I din't have an iphone/ipod as my mobile device so I had to actually remember my passwords. Now everything is handled with complex password via lastpass and with their security check built in none of my sites have same password anywhere.

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
1password is awesome. Add my vote.

Just be sure you're willing to buy into their ecosystem. It means using it on Macs and iOS devices, and syncing with Dropbox. I primarily use Macs, I have an iPhone, and I already use Dropbox, so it was a natural fit for me.

joemtc

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2009
I've been using 1password for more than a year. And I find it a very good program. Their customer service is top notch via their forums. If you have a problem, it has been probably been posted, replied by a 1password rep, and solved promptly. If it hasn't your post will most likely be replied within 12-24 hours (speaking from experience).

I don't know much about lastpass, but 1password's customer service is worth every penny.

Also, in conjunction with Dropbox, I use it between an iMac and two Windows 7 PCs flawlessly.

magentawave

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
Is anyone experiencing problems with LastPass with Firefox lately? Just asking because it was bullet-proof reliable the last couple years but its been kind of funky lately for some of my sites.

Steve

digitaldave

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2006
I've installed the trial version of 1Password, and whilst it was a bit of work to change all my passwords to new ones and get them saved in 1Password properly, I really like it. So much so that I'll be paying for a license, and possibly one for my Windows PC as well. I've even bought the iPhone version as well, and the Dropbox syncing is great.

Thumbs up!

MovingWater

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2010
Canada
I slowly changed my passwords over a 1 year period. Whenever logging into a site where I hadn't yet stored the password in 1password, I changed it using 1password's strong password generator. I found this slowed down migration had at least three advantages:

1) if I made any mistakes as I grew into 1password, it would only involve a single entry, not my whole digital life. I have since made it a habit to immediately test every entry as they are added to 1password. For instance, if I add them in Firefox, I test in Safari, and vice-versa. I have caught a few issues that way.

2) I saved time not having to spend some hours porting my data from previous solutions.

3) If I changed my mind about 1password after say a few months, it would have been relative easy to go back. (Of course I never did, and now my 1password consists of hundreds and hundreds of entries.)

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
I like your migration idea, MovingWater. I've trialled, purchased and been on the point of starting to use 1Password but was hesitant about the best way to make the leap with so many existing passwords. Thanks to all for the useful and constructive posts.

sp99drac9r

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2011
I've been using 1Password for many years. It is evident that they care about quality and service and continually improving their offering. That said I am glad that competitive pressure (LastPass in particular) is forcing them to up their game especially when it comes to cross platform support.

I read the posts from Lastpass users with interest. I have a hard time with the idea of having to enter a different password for every site, or becoming absolutely dependent upon a tool to be able to log into any particular site. There are too many situations when I want to be able to access my accounts when and where I want, no matter if I have my laptop or smartphone. I generally keep a set of passwords that I use for different categories of sites and change them regularly. 1Password is my backup for when I forget, especially for those sites I visit infrequently. I know this makes my security more vulnerable, but it's a tradeoff that I've been willing to live with.

1Password has been continually adding features over the years and as a result, with the growing number of data forms for "wallet" items and secure notes for everything else, it has become the virtual, encrypted lockbox for all my confidential and/or vital information. Routing numbers and other info for bank accounts, lot numbers for real estate, VIN numbers for vehicles, padlock combinations, all the stuff that used to be scattered around my computer or physical files in horribly unprotected places.

But given how precious this lockbox, I just don't feel comfortable leaving it anywhere on the internet, including Dropbox. I just have an Android phone and laptop to worry about, so physically syncing works just fine for me.

magentawave

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
I use LastPass and you don't have to use a different password for every site. You can choose to let LastPass generate a password for you...or use your own password...its your choice. And you can change that password anytime you want.

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
Love LastPass, I use it everywhere. $12 a year is a steal IMHO, though maybe a "Lifetime Subscription" would be viable to compete with flat-rate alternatives.

My main gripe with LastPass is their iOS apps SUCK. They're buggy as all hell.

Does 1Password have a *Native* iPad app? I don't want to run 2X mode in portrait to access it.

ender land

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010
After a depressing number of years using lame passwords (like six characters long!) I got 1Password as part of a mac software bundle and have been using it for a while now.

I like it a lot, though my concern is what happens if I lose my laptop or something similar happens such that I do not have access to my saved passwords - I'm going to have one hell of a time getting all my passwords back. My email password is as a result somewhat less secure (but memorable) than a 1pass generated one but I think this is important in the off chance something happens with 1Pass.

Is there a good way around this? I guess I never really bothered to find a solution which very well may exist.

WillEH

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2011
United Kingdom
LastPass is the ultimate master password application/program. Honestly, the features it gives are next to none. Even a iPhone app so you can use all your passwords on your iPhone! I do have to admit, with Apple's restrictions it makes the iPhone App a little bad, but nevertheless it's still a great way to have all your passwords on the go. $12 a year for premium is again a bargain.

islandman

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2006
I've used both, and ended up with LastPass

I used 1Password for many years and loved it. I only switched to LastPass because it offers cross-platform support (I use it on all of my Macs and my PCs), and also cross-browser support (IE, Safari, and Firefox). It also works great on my Android. I couldn't live without it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.