Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

St. G

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
There are a lot of questions about will this or that game run on the Air.

As I a) have an Air b) am a gamer and c) am a videographer, I'm in a postition to do the testing and post the resulting video for others to see.

So help me start a list of games that people are curious about.

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; nb-no) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Starcraft 2 medium and low settings native res.
Counter strike source
Left for dead
Wow (make a trail)

Now I don't expect you to showcase all of this but some would been great. Debating I I want a new mbp or MBA.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Call of Duty 4 is one im pretty interested in

I also don't expect you to make videos, but some benchmarks would be nice :)

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
XBOX is 199 and done...all games work, xbox LIVE, etc, serious games are better off left on consoles or gaming PCs, but I agree its interested to see if the macs can actually run that game.

St. G

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
Cool story bro.

XBOX is 199 and done...all games work, xbox LIVE, etc, serious games are better off left on consoles or gaming PCs, but I agree its interested to see if the macs can actually run that game.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011

I don't think anyone is suggesting the MBA be a dedicated gaming machine, however it would be nice to know what it's capable of for those occasions that you're out of town, in a hotel room and want to play a quick game. I'm mainly a PC gamer myself and have about dozens of games through Steam but have found the MBA to be adequate enough for games like CSS or even TF2. It's certainly never going to replace my desktop for games, but I can't exactly take my desktop with me everywhere I go.

Last edited:

St. G

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
Exporting Borderlands and Civ 5 demos now. My fiancee and I tried to go to the roller derby, but it was too crowded to see anything, so my Saturday night is suddenly free. SHould have them uploaded in a couple of hours. It takes a while for CS5 to chew through HD footage on the Q6600/GeForce 8800GTS I've got in this machine.

Icebreaker117

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2011
Can you post some videos of multiplayer on games like Team Fortress 2 and maybe the COD4/MW2 or blackops. I have seen lots of videos of single player games, but not of multiplayer. I have used an Air at my work (1.4ghz, 2gb) and played Team Fortress 2 in OSX. I had about 25FPS when spawning and low action, when there was a lot going on it dropped to an average of 10 to 15 FPS and was rendered unplayable. i want to know how much difference the 4GB makes against the gameplay. Any info would be great please.

rubberwheels

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2010
Is 2GB ram enough for most games? like the newer games coming this year. Like Rift, GW2, Diablo 3, etc...

ZenoVT

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2009
I want to know if the Air can run Crysis. I'm want to get Crysis 2, so the most comparable benchmark would be running the Crysis. Wouldn't mind running everything on low.

size100

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; nb-no) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Starcraft 2 medium and low settings native res.
Counter strike source
Left for dead
Wow (make a trail)

Now I don't expect you to showcase all of this but some would been great. Debating I I want a new mbp or MBA.

im running starcraft2 in osx. It struggles when things happen. I'll do more testing later. I'm running lots of low and medium shaders because from low to medium shaders is a huge graphic update.

I'm not sure if its worth it to install it on windows 7. I'd like some comparison benchmarks before I use the bandwidth to d/l the client.

If ya post a replay i'll tell you if it can play at certain settings.

Last edited:

size100

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2010
I don't think most current games would run too well on 2GB of ram personally.

Quite a few do. Starcraft uses like 1.1gb though so it gets iffy. Fallout3 and Fallout NV def good enough with 2gb.

zoogme

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2008
im using new 13"MBA 1.86 2GB and plays COD4 flawlessly. @1440X900 AA off

zoogme

Icebreaker117

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2011
@ ST G,

After watching all of your video's I have been messing around with our display model 1.4ghz 11inch Air with 2gb RAM at my work and thought i would try a version of Modern Warfare 2 in bootcamp. I turned AA and sync every frame OFF, soften smoke edges OFF and bullet impacts OFF, textures on automatic and everything else turned on, then jumped into a multiplayer game. I was getting no lower than 35 FPS, often an average of 45FPS. And it was really smooth, no lag.
Just thought i would let you know as i was quite suprised with the outcome, especially with only 2GB RAM. If you have a copy of MW2, give it a try on both single player and multiplayer and see if you get the same result, i would be interested to know your opinion!

Cerano

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2010
Can you post some videos of multiplayer on games like Team Fortress 2 and maybe the COD4/MW2 or blackops. I have seen lots of videos of single player games, but not of multiplayer. I have used an Air at my work (1.4ghz, 2gb) and played Team Fortress 2 in OSX. I had about 25FPS when spawning and low action, when there was a lot going on it dropped to an average of 10 to 15 FPS and was rendered unplayable. i want to know how much difference the 4GB makes against the gameplay. Any info would be great please.

hmm im running TF2 on the 11" ultimate and it runs smoothly all the time with most of the settings on high

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.