Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Politis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
- I have a Macbook Pro 15 hi-res, matte. I use my laptop mainly for word processing and way behind, for some picture editing.
- I have around 2,000 files on my PC lap top in 'Microsoft Office Student Edition 2003', and XP. I also have around 5,000 pics.
- I need to transfer all that to my Mac without losing any of the formatting (font, size, columns, highlights, etc). In other words :) what I see and print from my PC lap top I would like to see exactly the same on my Mac.

Possibilities:
1/ Bootcamp: keep 20% for MS Office, and the rest for whatever word processing choice I make for Mac.
2/ Page (downloaded it from App Store), on its own or in bootcamp
3/ Office for Mac: either on its own or have it in bootcamp.
4/ All or some of them and jump around... boing-boing-boing...

Danekero

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2011
To keep all your formatting, definitely go with office in bootcamp or Office mac. Pages is nice, but the majority use office and if your files have any complex formatting it can easily get ruined. Office in boot camp is the best choice compatibility wise, but for ease of access and use I'd get Office mac.

Politis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
To keep all your formatting, definitely go with office in bootcamp or Office mac. Pages is nice, but the majority use office and if your files have any complex formatting it can easily get ruined. Office in boot camp is the best choice compatibility wise, but for ease of access and use I'd get Office mac.

Thanks, or even iWord for Mac?

PurpleMarmalade

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2010
Possibilities:
1/ Bootcamp: keep 20% for MS Office, and the rest for whatever word processing choice I make for Mac.
2/ Page (downloaded it from App Store), on its own or in bootcamp
3/ Office for Mac: either on its own or have it in bootcamp.
4/ All or some of them and jump around... boing-boing-boing...

Goodness, this could get confusing. To clarify:

1) You could use Bootcamp, or Parallels/VMWare, and thus use Office for Windows. But if you're going to be in a word processor all day, it makes sense to find one in OSX that will fit your needs (see below). You bought a MacBook Pro, after all.

2) Pages won't preserve your formatting to perfection, by any means. It's not what you want.

3) Office for Mac 2011, yes. Word 2011 is an excellent word processor, and I have yet to come across any problems with compatibility between Office 2002/03/07/10 on PC and Office 2011 on Mac. Fully recommended. I do not recommend Office 2008 for Mac.

4) No. That would be illogical, a waste of time, and awfully frustrating to work with. Pick one (No. 3) and stick with it.

Oh, and I have no idea what 'iWord for Mac' means.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.