Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmazzamj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
The title says it all: Installing VMware Fusion (3.0) made my Air boot time 10" slower? How could that be? I need an explanation, please! Are these the first effect of Windows, the worst virus ever?

Please help me out!!

Thank you.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
The title says it all: Installing VMware Fusion (3.0) made my Air boot time 10" slower? How could that be? I need an explanation, please! Are these the first effect of Windows, the worst virus ever?

Please help me out!!

Thank you.

Are you starting a Windows virtual machine at boot time? If so, why?

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
VMware (regardless if your virtual machine is Windows or not) installs some extensions that runs at boot, and these can make the boot time longer. It's just how it is.

However, you CAN fix this by manually starting these extensions when you want to run VMware, although this is more cumbersome.
http://communities.vmware.com/thread/129698?start=0&tstart=0 I'm running the terminal command each time I want to run VMware, I just hate unnecessary processes in the background.

jmazzamj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Thanks for the info guys.

Luckily my Air has come back to normal boot times after several boots, perhaps installing VMware triggered a sort of caching system or something.

Poobear, thank you but that is not an option, too technical.
Let me explain: I'm not going to use Windows in my life ever again (sadly my current work relies on XP) BUT As my sister is new to Macs, I installed it on her Air just in case she needs to run a software I don't know a replacement for while I'm not at home or she is abroad. You don't know my sister...

I'd really really like you to share some more insight about software starting unnecessary processes, I really hated that when I was a Windows user and I DID know how to get rid of them.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.