Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doxavita

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
I have a 5th generation iPod. Simple question:

If I can't finish fully recharging it (like if the power goes down), can I just continue recharging it later on?

doxavita

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Here's what happened: I pressed the off switch in the power bar so the ipod stopped recharging, then I turned the power bar back on, so the ipod kept recharging again (this was during the first 5 minutes of the recharge cycle), then when there were about 50 minutes of recharge left (the ipod takes about 2 hours to completely recharge) I turned the power bar off again, when I turned it back on the ipod said it was completely recharged!
Does that mean I just have to wait for this cycle to completely uncharge?
No damage done , right?
When I recharge from zero again, the cycle should be complete again?

Last edited:

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
The device charges whenever it is connected to a power supply, regardless of if it is on or not.

This doesn't damage the battery in the slightest. Other than being good for calibration once in a while, there is absolutely no reason you have to constantly do a full charge/discharge cycle.

doxavita

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
The device charges whenever it is connected to a power supply, regardless of if it is on or not.

This doesn't damage the battery in the slightest. Other than being good for calibration once in a while, there is absolutely no reason you have to constantly do a full charge/discharge cycle.

OK, good to know, what I'm saying is the iPod showed the icon of fully charged (that plug icon). Obviously it wasn't fully charged, does that mean it was still charging? (regardless of the icon?)

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
OK, good to know, what I'm saying is the iPod showed the icon of fully charged (that plug icon). Obviously it wasn't fully charged, does that mean it was still charging? (regardless of the icon?)

Ah, that could just have been a bug in recognizing battery levels. That kind of thing happens with all sorts of gadgets when you plug and unplug them from time to time. No biggie.

If it was plugged in and the battery wasn't fully charged (regardless of what the software says) it will still charge.

doxavita

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Ah, that could just have been a bug in recognizing battery levels. That kind of thing happens with all sorts of gadgets when you plug and unplug them from time to time. No biggie.

If it was plugged in and the battery wasn't fully charged (regardless of what the software says) it will still charge.

Great!, I think what I'll do is just drain the power a bit and then see if it recharges for whatever time is necessary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.