Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

I got it while I was waiting to pick up my daughter at Denver International Airport. A sign from a local bank had QRcodes for 3 different books for free, and that is the one I chose. I'll pick up the other two later this month.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Currently reading "Inkdeath", prior to that "Inkspell" and "Inkheart", all by Cornelia Funke.

Wonderful books, but I think that the last was the weakest of the three.

Oh, and book update on me. I'm reading The Amber Spyglass for the third time. After that I'll jump to The Extended Phenotype by Richard Dawkins.

Last edited:

timerollson

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2005
heretothere
2nd book of the Stieg Larsson trilogy:

The Girl Who Played with Fire.... [Was it the writer's intention to make Lisbeth Salander so ****ing annoying? She's quite possibly one of the most unlikeable protagonists I've ever read.]

Damn this trilogy is boring. I want to read them all before the US remakes hit the theaters.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
2nd book of the Stieg Larsson trilogy:

The Girl Who Played with Fire.... [Was it the writer's intention to make Lisbeth Salander so ****ing annoying? She's quite possibly one of the most unlikeable protagonists I've ever read.]

Damn this trilogy is boring. I want to read them all before the US remakes hit the theaters.

I found the first one slow. I thought the second and third were livelier reads. I wonder if the author's writing improved as time went on or they got a better translator for the later books? While I think these stories had huge potential as a mystery thriler, especially surrounding the conspiracy against Salander, as they are, I am honestly puzzled how these stories have remained at the top of the best seller lists for so long (at least a year). For anyone thinking about them, I'd say give the first one a shot and see if it grows on you. Here's hoping that Hollywood can produce something better.

timerollson

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2005
heretothere
I found the first one slow. I thought the second and third were livelier reads. I wonder if the author's writing improved as time went on or they got a better translator for the later books? While I think these stories had huge potential as a mystery thriler, especially surrounding the conspiracy against Salander, as they are, I am honestly puzzled how these stories have remained at the top of the best seller lists for so long (at least a year). For anyone thinking about them, I'd say give the first one a shot and see if it grows on you. Here's hoping that Hollywood can produce something better.

Yes. It took me MONTHS to get through the first book. I would start and stop and restart because the narrative moved so slowly.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
I have just re-read Tiger Tiger/The Stars My Destination, by Alfred Bester, written in 1956, for the first time in thirty years. What an incredible piece of work! I can't imagine why nobody has made a film of it: it would be absolutely stunning.

If you have not read it, do so. Probably the best science fiction book ever written.

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
I just read a blurb about this in Entertainment Weekly. Should I read it? What kind of reader would this appeal to? :)

I just finished the audiobook and I really liked it. From Goodreads:

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by 12 outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of 12 and 18 to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

It's considered a "young adult" fantasy and moves along at a good pace. Don't let that stop you. I'm 45 and enjoyed the book. I've now started Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I have just re-read Tiger Tiger/The Stars My Destination, by Alfred Bester, written in 1956, for the first time in thirty years. What an incredible piece of work! I can't imagine why nobody has made a film of it: it would be absolutely stunning.

If you have not read it, do so. Probably the best science fiction book ever written.

That's quite a recommendation! I just ordered it via Amazon.

EDIT: Okay, obviously patience isn't one of my stronger points - I loaded my Kindle with the book so I'll have it to read while in Vegas tomorrow. ;)

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I just finished the audiobook and I really liked it. From Goodreads:

It's considered a "young adult" fantasy and moves along at a good pace. Don't let that stop you. I'm 45 and enjoyed the book. I've now started Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann

Thanks, I'll put this on my to-read list.

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
I ended up not reading Let the Great World Spin. Instead I listened to Murder in the High Himalaya by Jonathan Green. It's a true story of a Tibetan nun murdered by Chinese border guards while trying to flee to India. A good, but sad book.

I've now started on The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley. It's a mystery that features an 11 year old girl as the crime solver.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
On my iPad, I'm reading Decision Points by George W. Bush and Reversal by Michael Connelly.

Just finished Jeffrey Deaver's The Burning Wire. Love his Lincoln Rhyme series.

After Bush, Im going to read Keith Richard's Life.

Absolutely love reading on my iPad.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
While you're at it, get The Demolished Man, by the same author.

What's with The Stars, My Destination at Amazon? it's listed for $24 for a paperback. It must be out of print.

I'm a slow reader. Any Honor Harrington fans here? I'm all most done with Basilisk Station. I plan on continuing the series. Thumbs up.

Barnes and Noble has it for $8. This might make a good movie. CAUTION: "This" is one big spoiler if you have not read it.

OnBasiliskStation.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.