Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benjaminwood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
This may be elsewhere on the forum, but I couldn't find anybody that had a solution (for me anyway). I ended up figuring it out myself. After jailbreaking with seasonpass and installing XBMC, all I got was a black screen after tethered-booting. I could use the remote and hear the clicking sounds... but no video.

Here's what fixed it for me. Let me know if this works for you.

1. SSH into the apple TV from terminal. Example: ssh root@192.168.0.11 (Password will be alpine if you haven't already changed it)

2. Type "ps -ax" and look for AppleTV.app in the list. Make note of the number to the left.

3. Type "kill" and the number to the left that you made note of from step 2. Example: kill 26

That's it! If you're experiencing the same problem I was, your AppleTV will reload it's GUI and you'll have picture!

Hope this helps somebody. My apologies if if this is common knowledge and has been discussed elsewhere.

-Ben

finaluser

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2011
It Works For Me Thank You

Thanks,

The solution Works for me. Thanks for the post.

Apple TV 2, 4.1.1
XMBC (Seas0npass)

jefesupremo

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2011
I joined this forum tonight after encountering this same problem. I found your suggestion just when I was about to give up and put the atv2 back in its nice little box.

Well, I tried it and it fixed my problem.

Thanks!

OptyCT

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2008
I think some of the problems may exist due to some vague instructions on how to boot tethered. I was able to find instructions for this on one site and it has worked flawlessly over multiple reboots. When Seas0nPass asks you to "Connect USB, POWER, then press and hold...", you should first connect the USB. Then, wait for the white power indicator light on the ATV to blink rapidly (around 5-10 seconds). Only after it is blinking rapidly should you plug in the power cord. After the power is hooked up, proceed to hold the MENU and PLAY/PAUSE button for seven seconds and let Seas0nPass do its thing.

cadeucsb

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
man, this is a problem on the atv2? I am running xbmc 10.0 on my atv1 and was going to upgrade to the atv2 for 1080p and the resolution of this same black screen issue over hdmi (can hear xbmc working, but cant see it). I didnt have the issue over component.

glad there is a fix, but come on xbmc devs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.