Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VR4ownzU

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
I'm looking to buy an iPhone through Verizon. Question I have is. Is the iPhone 5 going to be available through Verizon when it is first launched? Or do we have to wait till Feb of 2012? Seems stupid to buy an iPhone 4 next month only to have the iPhone 5 come out 4 months later. I'm willing to wait 4 months for a little bit better of a phone if I have to keep it atleast 2 years. If anyone has the inside track on this I would appreciate it!

amnost

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2010
United States
Apple finally has announced the iPhone on Verizon ... because of this, I highly doubt that they'd anger Verizon customers again by releasing their latest phone only on AT&T. Trust me, Apple's not that dumb.

The next iPhone that is released will be available on both Verizon and AT&T. No need to worry ;)

VR4ownzU

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
Well I've waited this long for an iPhone. I can wait 4-5 months for the 5. Think of all those people with Verizon iPhone 4's bitching and trying to trade in for a 5.

VR4ownzU

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
Apple finally has announced the iPhone on Verizon ... because of this, I highly doubt that they'd anger Verizon customers again by releasing their latest phone only on AT&T. Trust me, Apple's not that dumb.

The next iPhone that is released will be available on both Verizon and AT&T. No need to worry ;)

Available at the same time though?

Remmnever

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2011
Available at the same time though?

Nobody knows. I would think Verizon would be crazy to release the Iphone 5 four months after the Iphone 4 on their network. It will make everyone who bought an Iphone 4 so mad. But people will also get mad if At&t gets an Iphone 5 exclusive deal for a few months.

You can either take the risk and get an Iphone 4 the day it comes out and hope they don't get the Iphone 5 shortly after. Or take the risk and wait for the Iphone 5 and hope it's released early summer. It's a gamble either way.

I'm personally going to buy the Iphone 4 the day it comes out. Then when the Iphone 5 is released I'm going to buy it also because my other phone upgrade should be available by then. Then I will give the Iphone 4 to my wife (she doesn't care about all the updated tech stuff anyway). Win/Win either way for me.

rjbruce

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Nobody knows. I would think Verizon would be crazy to release the Iphone 5 four months after the Iphone 4 on their network. It will make everyone who bought an Iphone 4 so mad.

On the other hand, I think it would be crazy for Apple to maintain two product lines for the iPhone based on carrier. It's such an inexpensive part to create two product lines, although they seem to be doing it with the iPad if the rumor/dev build is true.

Someday I hope they do come out with a phone that can go between the networks, that you can purchase without subsidy, and we as consumers demand an unsubsidized rate. If I keep my phone for 3 years why should I continue paying the phone subsidy in my plan?? :confused:

Yes...never happen...I know...

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
I'm looking to buy an iPhone through Verizon. Question I have is. Is the iPhone 5 going to be available through Verizon when it is first launched? Or do we have to wait till Feb of 2012? Seems stupid to buy an iPhone 4 next month only to have the iPhone 5 come out 4 months later. I'm willing to wait 4 months for a little bit better of a phone if I have to keep it atleast 2 years. If anyone has the inside track on this I would appreciate it!

If you plan to wait because a better product will be available in the future, you will be waiting forever.

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010

Correct, they can't do it this year and they won't because iPhone has everything by today's standards...

Andeavor

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
I doubt Verizon is going to offer No. 5 so soon after just starting with No. 4. this year. I was holding out, too, waiting for the white iPhone 4 release but with all those delays and rumors I gave Apple the finger and went and got the black iPhone 4 and I couldn't be happier.

gglockner

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
Bellevue, WA
There is no such thing as an iPhone 5 ... yet. So decide what you need more: to have an iPhone right now, or to wait for something at some unknown future date that could be better.

In computers and electronics, tomorrow will always bring something that is better, cheaper or both. You have to decide when you absolutely want/need the item, then be satisfied with your purchase.

The only thing that has changed in the last decade or so is that we now have online places like Amazon, Craigslist and ebay where we can easily sell used gear.

Monkey194545

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
The poeple who say "if you keep waiting for something better, you'll be waiting forever" annoy me. You have a logical question, not everyone wants to settle. And to the people who say the iphone 5 does not exist, well, you are also wrong. There's evidence of it in the latest ios 4.3 build. The next iphone is listed as 4.1 and 4.2 (the current model is 3.X, the original was 1.x and 3 and 3gs were listed as 2.x).

The only tough question is when it will come out. I could see it both ways. Apple may release an iphone 5 only on att and verizon may have to wait or both may be released in june at the same time.

The way I look at it, you lasted this long. Wait another 5 months, if it doesn't happen, just get the iphone 4. You would've only waster 4 months.

iPhoneCollector

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2010
Home
man buy the iphone 4. it is so cool and imo iphone 4 sound cooler than iphone 5 or iphone 4s or whatever. but hey i'm not you so if you feel like waiting then wait. any way i hope you won't regret you desisting afterwards.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Any answers you get about the iPhone 5 will be 100% speculation. If you bank on that then I'd like to see your stock portfolio as well. ;)

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Hold out for iPhone 6.

Just remember that old proverb, "A potentially really cool bird somewhere in the bush is worth two, maybe even three or four, real but imperfect birds in the hand".

HuggyLowDown

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2010
Northern Virginia
I bet the iPhone 5 will be released on Verizon's network on the release date. Apple wouldn't do that to their customers. It'd just piss people off!

Looks like we're in the same situation. I'm eligible for an upgrade on April 22, 2011 but I think I can wait till summer to see what happens.

Vice92

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2009
I was thinking about this as well. I mean, we've waited long enough for the iPhone to be available on Verizon, might as well wait another few months to see if the newer one will come out during the usual summer refresh.

Luckily (or unluckily), I can't upgrade until August so I'm waiting either way.

T-bag

Jan 20, 2011
Why are you even considering waiting 5 months? It's just a phone! The world has gone mad. Just get the phone you want and don't look back. If you decide to wait 5 months to get the latest one you don't really need it. I have the iPhone 4, and more than happy with keeping it for 2-3 more years. Don't wait because the new one is going to be better - then you'll always be waiting. Wait because you find the iPhone 4 not being good enough. Everyday you wait is a day you don't have your new iPhone. What if you get hit by a bus in 2 months? It's just a phone!

look35

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2011
What made my mind to buy the Verizon Iphone 4

The reason I made up my mind to buy the Iphone 4 rather wait for another 5 month's is the data package plan which is "UNLIMITED " for Verizon..I read from one of the speakers of Verizon they don't know if they are going to "KEEP" the "UNLIMITED" data plan anymore they might pull it by then, and who ever has it has it, then you are on the grandfather plan and who ever is upgrading to the Iphone 5 in a few months or is a new customer won't have that data plan and will be exactly the way AT&T is. So that's what made up my mind now to buy the Iphone 4 now then wait for 5 months or more...Thank You.

Remmnever

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2011
Yeah I don't like the idea of tiered data plan for myself. It would probably be fine for my wife though because she didn't use the data on her current android phone much. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the options are.

frocco

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2009
Well I've waited this long for an iPhone. I can wait 4-5 months for the 5. Think of all those people with Verizon iPhone 4's bitching and trying to trade in for a 5.

trade in for a 6, 7...

Where does it end?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.