Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
Paperless is still the one and only TO-DO list that I use.

Question for our dear developer, will there be any chance of a future snapshot/photo integration? :)

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Question: Is the data stored in a sudo database on the device itself? If so is there a way to export that data to run reports etc? I am thinking more along the lines of having the exported file integrate with another product? This is why I ask.

I know there was mention of having an iPad version, is this still in the works and if so will you be able to sync your notes back and forth to each device? IE complete something and mark it off on the iPad and then it syncs with your iPhone and it marks it off the iPhone as well?

Thanks

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
Paperless is still the one and only TO-DO list that I use.

Question for our dear developer, will there be any chance of a future snapshot/photo integration? :)

I'm glad you still find it useful. :) The ability to add images to notes is something I have thought about, along with maps and sound recordings... but with the way data is currently saved in Paperless it wouldn't be that feasible.

So, at some point I either need to change that (which I may need to do to implement syncing anyways), or build a new app that can handle those things.

I haven't decided what to do yet though, and either way I wouldn't be abandoning Paperless. I'll know more after I explore syncing with Dropbox further (since that will guide how I change the way data is saved, plus I'll have a better idea of how much data is reasonable to transfer wirelessly while syncing).

Question: Is the data stored in a sudo database on the device itself? If so is there a way to export that data to run reports etc? I am thinking more along the lines of having the exported file integrate with another product? This is why I ask.

I know there was mention of having an iPad version, is this still in the works and if so will you be able to sync your notes back and forth to each device? IE complete something and mark it off on the iPad and then it syncs with your iPhone and it marks it off the iPhone as well?

Thanks

The data isn't stored in a way that would be readable by other applications.

What other product would you want the data in (to run reports, as you mentioned)? I see that Excel supports a simple XML format... I could potentially export data in that format if that's what you had in mind. (although, it would be a low priority right now)

I am still planning an iPad version, which will come after I get syncing in place.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I'm glad you still find it useful. :) The ability to add images to notes is something I have thought about, along with maps and sound recordings... but with the way data is currently saved in Paperless it wouldn't be that feasible.

So, at some point I either need to change that (which I may need to do to implement syncing anyways), or build a new app that can handle those things.

I haven't decided what to do yet though, and either way I wouldn't be abandoning Paperless. I'll know more after I explore syncing with Dropbox further (since that will guide how I change the way data is saved, plus I'll have a better idea of how much data is reasonable to transfer wirelessly while syncing).

The data isn't stored in a way that would be readable by other applications.

What other product would you want the data in (to run reports, as you mentioned)? I see that Excel supports a simple XML format... I could potentially export data in that format if that's what you had in mind. (although, it would be a low priority right now)

I am still planning an iPad version, which will come after I get syncing in place.

If I could get the data in an xml file that would be great. I am thinking along the lines for work to keep track of my notes and then being able to sort and track them in a database that I can import them into. Almost like a sudo project management program for my thoughts and notes on a project. I am in the field a lot and this would be a good way to keep track of what I need to get done and if there is a note that I attach to the task I want to be able to sort and filter those notes.

I was just curious if this was possible.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Just picked this up, the email feature seems to be what I need. My wife and I are always trying to stay in sync. Yes this isn't perfect, but at least it is a step in the right direction. Being able to email her my list for XYZ store would be good, maybe good enough.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
Paperless 2.0 is finished, and I'll be submitting the update to the app store today. The biggest new features are:

- a proper full screen interface when run on an iPad (it's a "universal" app)

- automatic backup and syncing between devices via a free Dropbox account

Lots more info and screenshots in this blog post.

Attachments

• paperless2_ipad_l2.jpg
    paperless2_ipad_l2.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 111
  • theme_paperless.jpg
    theme_paperless.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 87

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
Version 2 was just released (it's showing in the app store for me now, but may not have propagated everywhere yet).

Appshopper.com's Marianne Schultz has the exclusive preview!

This is a free update for existing users, and makes the app "universal" so that it has a proper full screen interface when run on an iPad - plus automatic backup and syncing via Dropbox and other new features.

More info is available on the new website, and the aforementioned blog post.

Thanks, more to come. :)

Last edited:

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
Last edited:

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I'm looking for a way to have a ToDo list that shows up in Notification Center. Is there a way to have Paperless display a list of items, or a ToDo list in Notification Center?

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
I'm looking for a way to have a ToDo list that shows up in Notification Center. Is there a way to have Paperless display a list of items, or a ToDo list in Notification Center?

Since Paperless doesn't currently have notifications, it can't do that... but I like the idea and will look into it. Thanks (again) for the useful feedback.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
Since Paperless doesn't currently have notifications, it can't do that... but I like the idea and will look into it. Thanks (again) for the useful feedback.

Thanks. I was thinking it would have to have notifications to work. But maybe if there was an option to have certain lists that would have a notification anytime you added something to it? I just like the idea of swiping open the Notification Center and seeing my ToDi list.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
Thanks. I was thinking it would have to have notifications to work. But maybe if there was an option to have certain lists that would have a notification anytime you added something to it? I just like the idea of swiping open the Notification Center and seeing my ToDi list.

That would tie in well with the way the number badge system currently works. I'll need to do some research/experimentation though, as I'm not sure if there would be a clean way to update the notifications after you modified a list item, or put them in a different order.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
That would tie in well with the way the number badge system currently works. I'll need to do some research/experimentation though, as I'm not sure if there would be a clean way to update the notifications after you modified a list item, or put them in a different order.

Thanks for always keeping our ideas in mind, that's why I love this app.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008

Not sure if this is a good option, or even an option at all, but I just saw this app that seems to be able to add items to your Notification Center in the same manner that I was thinking. Just thought you may be interested in checking it out:

App Switcher
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id480240316

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
Just wanted to drop a note here and mention that today Paperless will reach $100,000 in revenue, since it was first released in March 2010. That's with over 60,000 paid sales, and over 146,000 downloads of the free version.

I've written a little more about that in this blog post.

I know that much of Paperless' success has stemmed from MacRumors forum members checking it out, and I really appreciate it.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
Just wanted to drop a note here and mention that today Paperless will reach $100,000 in revenue, since it was first released in March 2010. That's with over 60,000 paid sales, and over 146,000 downloads of the free version.

I've written a little more about that in this blog post.

I know that much of Paperless' success has stemmed from MacRumors forum members checking it out, and I really appreciate it.

Thats awesome. Congrats:cool:.

Now we need a good way for Paperless to show your lists in the Notification Center:).

maeyo

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2012
Sunny Southern Cal
Awesome App.

Got the Lite version yesterday and the full version today after DAYS of researching To-do Lists! Yay! I'm using it for a To-Do list AND to Keep track of the workflow I follow for each of our clients. It works perfectly for that, although I'd love to have the ability to have sub-tasks AND be able to use it on my laptop or desktop. Other than that ... I can't imagine any other features that it needs. Well, maybe if it did laundry and made dinner that would be awesome!

Thanks again for you app!

Maeyo

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
Paperless is on sale for just $0.99 this weekend only, and is currently ranked the number 4 Productivity app in the App Store in the U.S.! :)

In addition, my other app Scout Camera is absolutely FREE this weekend only.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
Paperless 2.1 has been released, full details are available here. :)

• added the ability to select multiple lists to merge or delete
  • added the ability to select multiple list items to move/copy/delete
  • now includes over 450 icons, with many new ones that were requested by people like you
  • support for adding an item or list via a URL scheme
  • added style sheets to the XML files that Paperless writes to Dropbox when syncing - so, if you view a list from the Dropbox website it will be in a nice readable and printable format
  • added an option to show lists that need to be synced in red text (may be useful for troubleshooting syncing issues caused by a poor wifi/cellular connection)
  • improved search (if you search starting from the main screen, that search term is carried over into the list view)
  • when using the "Import Items" feature, unnecessary dashes/bullet points are now removed
  • new lists are now added to the top
  • fixed a rare problem on an iPad where the main screen of lists could be shown partially offscreen
  • many other small improvements and bug fixes.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
My main problem with this app vs, say, Pocket Lists, is that there is no way to make indented lists (where some items are "daughter-items" of other items)

Add this option please...

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
Paperless 2.2 has been released with an all new design for iOS 7, plus the ability to print lists, post lists to Facebook, send lists via iMessage and more. Here are the details.

paperless_isometric.png

device1.png

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
Can I make sub-categories for a checklist.

I want to setup a packing checklist, but I'd like a main category, Camping, then under that subcategories, like clothes, food, supplies, etc. Then checklists under each category.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.