Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stuartm

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
I currently have a G4 1Ghz with additional 120gb hard drive and 4 x 512MBDDR SD ram cards.

It cant now take 10.5 or 6 and is really slow at watching streamed video on iPlayer etc.

Ive been offered a G5 1.8ghz single processor but its hard drive is small and its memory too is a bit lacking. But Im assuming that this will help my iPlayer viewing better than my g4 as it has a slightly faster processor? but is my memory cards and hard drive on my G4 transferable to the G5 so I can add the memory and the HD that I already have?

Any help would be appreciated, would love to go to latest mac models but budget never allows.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
I currently have a G4 1Ghz with additional 120gb hard drive and 4 x 512MBDDR SD ram cards.

It cant now take 10.5 or 6 and is really slow at watching streamed video on iPlayer etc.

Ive been offered a G5 1.8ghz single processor but its hard drive is small and its memory too is a bit lacking. But Im assuming that this will help my iPlayer viewing better than my g4 as it has a slightly faster processor? but is my memory cards and hard drive on my G4 transferable to the G5 so I can add the memory and the HD that I already have?

Any help would be appreciated, would love to go to latest mac models but budget never allows.

If your G4 is a single 1Ghz, youll see a big boost (50% extra speed from the CPU and probably more from the internal speed boost from faster HDs etc) - The G5 cannot take your G4s HDDs unless they are SATA - if you need to transfer data you can use the Optical Drives connection as far as I know (Not sure tho) - luckily SATA drives are quite cheap. Also, I think the RAM may be different (unless its a Mirror Drive Door in which case I think its transferable).

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
If it's free, sure. Otherwise you'd be better off trying to get your hands on a used Intel Mac Mini, depending on price.

stuartm

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Thanks for the replies. Im in luck it seems as yes its a mirror door and also the HD on my G4 are of the SATA type. transfer of stuff should be okay via my external WD drive,

stuartm

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
This may seem really obvious but how can I tell if my old G4 is dual or single processor.
Im assuming that if I go to "about mac" and its showing cpu:1 then thats a single processor?

Also does anyone know if the G5 single processor 1.8ghz can take OS 10.5.5?

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.