Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
Basically my girlfriend finally asked me to marry her a few days ago and i said yes. Now i wanna buy her a really cool engagement ring and ill be honest i dont really have much spare money.

My main idea so far is "downgrading" from my current Late 2009 model iMac (with 8GB ram, extra Magic Trackpad, remote and Applecare) by selling it and buying the cheapest mac i can for my needs.

I love my current iMac to bits it does everything i need, but i guess sometimes you gotta sacrifice things. Has anyone else ever done anything like this?

The cheapest i could find were G4 powermac towers and they dont look too bad (about £100-£150 for a good one, would anyone recommend them?)

I do have a late model 1Ghz iMac G4 with a gig of RAM but i use it as a kitchen hifi due to its limited networking speeds (i copy alot of data around at home e.g network backups, moving large video files etc) so i dont think it would be suitable.

any thoughts appreciated! :)

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
Congrats mate!!!! on getting engaged...

yeah you should be able to pick up a Dual G5 for pretty cheap, there good boxes and will run rings around the G4's
oh and what are the basic needs?

that said, mate with a wedding to plan and a ring to buy, no doubt you will be needing every last cent over the coming 12 or so months...

hope you have a slush fund. lol (i know what your going to be going through, did the very same thing last year myself)

congrats again and good luck with it all :)

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
Congratulations :D - If you need an Intel Mac, look for a Mac Mini (early one) - they can be had for $300 or so, just avoid a Core Solo model because that is less powerful than the Dual G5s.

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
Thanks Guys :D

An intel Mac would defiantly be preferable as i could boot it from a clone disc of my current one, strangely i hadn't considered a Mini

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.