Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imacky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Guys, my first expensive purchase of the year, Apple iMac, is finally here. You folks do/should know how it feels… heavenly awesome!

I've been closely tracking the iMac universe, thanks to the MacRumors forum and YouTube videos. I was feeling daft after a while and wanted to really buy the machine -- instead of drooling over the videos and the pics everyday.

Given the fact that I am from India, and the device was purchased from an Apple reseller (no official Apple store), this big guy was expensive. Really expensive. I had to shell out nearly 1 Lakh -- around $2200 -- inclusive of tax and the discounted offer that is applicable only for students. What I received in return was a massive 27" display bundling i3 processor and buckled with the rest of the standard specs that most of you already know of.

I'll cut to the chase and throw in my short review:

First thing you’ll notice is the high-end LED screen, the 27 inch adds enough space for you to browse the web, listen to music, watch movies and play with the docks. The screen and the keyboard is still wrapped with the plastic cover, but I’ll have to admit both the Keyboard and Mouse are super-nice.

I gleaned the information from the internet that using the magic mouse wouldn’t be easier for newbie users, but that didn’t stop me from trying it. In fact, Steve Jobs deserves two thumps up for coming up with this innovative mouse. It is perhaps the best mouse that I have used in my life.

Lots of application were pre-installed, and out of all those, I loved playing with the iSight camera -- especially the Photo Booth which is now my favorite time-pass tool. The iMac, simply put, is mesmerizing. Like someone said on the forum, once you have the iMac in your room, you’ll be tempted to renovate the whole room and this is exactly what I am going to do right away.

Should you (non-iMac owners) buy the device?

Why not? I believe there are a lot of Indians in this forum, too. Yes, it is pricey, but I took the initiative because... because this is an one-time investment. Really worth it. You can also go with the 21" model, but really... 27 inch beats the **** out of all the machines. Final verdict: Save money... and go with the 27" model (i3 or i5, depends on you).

I had to repack the device because I am getting a new table that can hold up the iMac and my 22” PC (any suggestions? I have planned for a L-shape table). I don’t have a Digital Camera yet.

These pics were taken when the iMac was on my bed (no kidding!). Never intended to show them off on the Internet, but because this forum has given me loads of info, I decided to make a thread and here are the blurry pics (you should know it was taken from Nokia Phone).

I'll update the pics once I get hold of a decent camera. :)

PS: I am a Windows XP user from past seven years and the iMac with the Mac OS is able to provide a cut-above the rest experience in computing. And I am absolutely loving it.

33w1441.jpg

Last edited:

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
Congrats man on your purchase looking at the plastic on the glass brings back memories of the freshness of a brand new apple, my imac is about to turn 1 year this june, it has also been almost a year since i used windows which I'am never going back to.

esfrost

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
Looking good, mine looks the same. :) Less than 1 and a half month since i purchased mine. I still feel the pure joy, and smell the "new machine", when i arrive home after work, and its a pleasure to sit down, and use it after a full day of work on a 17" tft with winXP on it. The display is the best part for me, i just cant stop watching it, so vivid, and so clear. Have fun with your new mac and take care of it. :)

imacky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Congrats man on your purchase looking at the plastic on the glass brings back memories of the freshness of a brand new apple, my imac is about to turn 1 year this june, it has also been almost a year since i used windows which I'am never going back to.

Thanks man! Still learning the ins and outs of the Mac OS -- took me a while to understand. Gotta admit the stylishness of the iMac makes my colorful room look dull. Hopefully, the new table should add the flying colors. :)

Looking good, mine looks the same. :) Less than 1 and a half month since i purchased mine. I still feel the pure joy, and smell the "new machine", when i arrive home after work, and its a pleasure to sit down, and use it after a full day of work on a 17" tft with winXP on it. The display is the best part for me, i just cant stop watching it, so vivid, and so clear. Have fun with your new mac and take care of it. :)

Smell...
that's something I have done with my iMac as well. :D Really... the joy in bringing an expensive device to your room knowing that you are the owner of this beast is truly awesome.

I have been unpacking and repacking it again and again. God... can't wait for this to sit on the new table along with my LG 22" screen, which will now be my secondary PC. :D

imacky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
YOu guys are talking about the smell here i see. I miss it. They should really release a perfume with that smell... :D

Perhaps we need a new Apple cologne and apparels store. :D

Jeez! I can feel the fanboyism in me... ready to drop the bomb on anyone else who thinks Windows is better than Mac. :D

Maltkvist

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
Sweden
Happy to read your review of your first iMac! I know the feeling, got mine last september and i'm having a blast with it :)
The unpacking was kind of magical for me. hehe

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.