Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hexley

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
I'm looking towards upgrading my mid-2007 iMac's 250GB to a 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD.

Any issues from anyone? SATA limitations of the iMac?

jpefjr

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
I'm looking towards upgrading my mid-2007 iMac's 250GB to a 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD.

Hexley, I'm considering the same upgrade and would like to know what, if anything, you've found out about putting the 1 TB Caviar Black into a mid-2007 iMac.

Thanks,
J.P.E.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I don't think there are any limitations of SATA on the iMac. If you're referring to what MacBook Pro users are experiencing, I don't think you're affected so this should just be a normal DIY upgrade.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
Woah Woah Woah.

I thought iMacs had Laptop parts (And thus having a Laptop Hard drive).

And I also thought that the highest laptop you can get is 500GB, so this 1TB Must be a 3.5", so it won't fit??:confused::confused:

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

I know that but some have reported that after the update, their HDD's weren't working and I was thinking maybe OP was referring to that.

Woah Woah Woah.

I thought iMacs had Laptop parts (And thus having a Laptop Hard drive).

And I also thought that the highest laptop you can get is 500GB, so this 1TB Must be a 3.5", so it won't fit??:confused::confused:

Nope, the HDD in iMac's use desktop HDD's. Only the Mac Mini and of course the portables use laptop parts.

iMac22

macrumors member
May 12, 2008
I upgraded recently.
Only thing I'll say is this drive runs hot. Pretty much at the high threshold of operating temp limit. Can get to 139 degrees F from just surfing the web and copying files.

BulletToothTony

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
no problems here at all.. i've been using it for over 2 months now.. read/writing speeds are waaay better...

It does run about 5 degrees hotter but i bumped my fans to 2,000 rpms with SMCFancontrol and it runs at 44 Celsius which is cooler than the previous hdd..

I love it.. pretty quite and super fast.. not THAT hot.. perfect imo..

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
you can get a BTO option for a 1TB HDD from Apple. and i think they use 3.5inch harddrives... at least the original intels do.. so i assume the new ones do too.
its about the only Desktop class thing in there. ;)

iMac22

macrumors member
May 12, 2008
I'm using smcfancontrol too.
check out my fan speeds and temps.
Running HD Fan at 2400 rpm just to keep it at 50 deg C
Also have an 8 inch fan blowing at the back of my machine. Been on for 4 hrs just basic web surfing.
I do agree that the machine is much snappier.

Attachments

• Picture 7.png
    Picture 7.png
    24.9 KB · Views: 5,950

BulletToothTony

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
I'm using smcfancontrol too.
check out my fan speeds and temps.
Running HD Fan at 2400 rpm just to keep it at 50 deg C
Also have an 8 inch fan blowing at the back of my machine. Been on for 4 hrs just basic web surfing.
I do agree that the machine is much snappier.

hey imac.. i know you were talking about this earlier.. seriously man.. i would get a replacement on that hdd.. it's going to brake very soon.. it produces way too much heat.. there's something definitely wrong with it..

At 2,400 rpm that thing should be on the low 40's maybe even high 30's.. i hope you're backing up your files.. cause it's gonna go bad soon

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 123

iMac22

macrumors member
May 12, 2008
hey imac.. i know you were talking about this earlier.. seriously man.. i would get a replacement on that hdd.. it's going to brake very soon.. it produces way too much heat.. there's something definitely wrong with it..

At 2,400 rpm that thing should be on the low 40's maybe even high 30's.. i hope you're backing up your files.. cause it's gonna go bad soon

Thanks for the advice BlueToothTony. This drive is in fact new. The first day it rocked to 139deg F. I'ts only been used for about 2 weeks. And for about 2-3 hrs a day. Think I should ask for a replacement?

Do take into account that my Ambient and room temp is about 6deg Celcius higher. That could contribute to it can't it? If this drive dies on me, I'm getting rid of this junk. 2 Drives...that's enough.

DavidR91

macrumors member
May 24, 2009
Bourne, Lincs, UK

Actually 50-55c is a tolerable (but certainly not desirable for the platter) operating temperature for a lot of hard drives. Whilst it may breach the recommended temps of the manufacturer (obviously that's model dependent though) I had a much smaller drive in an average PC running perfectly for eight years at an average of 50c.

The first day it rocked to 139deg F. I

Yeah, 60c is the max operating temperature for that drive, according to WD (which is risky, not only being the max. but the fact that a "safe" temperature to avoid platter warping should be a bit below max. operating).

DavidR91

macrumors member
May 24, 2009
Bourne, Lincs, UK
Sorry for the double post, but I've just received a new (replacement) iMac with a very similar 1TB WD drive in it

And I must say... it's impossible to keep this thing cool. I don't know quite what's going on - whether the temp sensor is wrong or something, but even blasting it at 4000RPM does nothing to reduce its temperature (mine is currently at 51)

Whilst 51 is tolerable, it should certainly drop under heavy fan level RPMs which is why I'm a bit worried - especially since getting this machine replaced is going to be a pain (I had an early 2008 machine with a 500GB drive, and got a "complimentary" 2009 machine as a replacement, with the 1TB in it. I didn't actually want this drive though, which is why I'm a bit peeved it also happens to be defective/cooking)

The temperatures are also inexplicable, because it doesn't even increase to this level under heavy load - any seek or read seems to up the temperature very sharply, which is very odd

BulletToothTony

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
that's weird.. all i can think of is maybe if your monitor's brightness is all the way up.. or if you don't turn the ac very low.. sorry to hear that..

My hdd doesn't go higher than 45 Celsius, unless i'm transferring over 60gb of files or something like that..

Try my settings smc fan settings..

And what do you mean with "similar WD hdd" the same one model # WD1001FALS ??

DavidR91

macrumors member
May 24, 2009
Bourne, Lincs, UK
And what do you mean with "similar WD hdd" the same one model # WD1001FALS ??

Yeah, it's a WD1001FALS-40K1B0 which probably isn't the exact same model, but most likely has an extremely similar set of specs (I couldn't find that exact model on google, but it obviously fits somewhere in the Caviar Black line)

jpefjr

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
I just thought I'd give a little feedback on the WD 1 TB Caviar Black (WD1001FALS-00J7B1) I've been running for the last two months. So far I am extremely pleased with the drive. It is very slightly louder when writing than the 320 GB hard drive that came in my iMac when I bought it but I can almost never tell because the stars have to be just right to be writing that much data that quickly. Certainly in day to day operation the drive is no louder than the original drive.

As for temps, I guess I've gotten lucky. My drive runs about 128 degrees fahrenheit (53 degrees celsius) which is well within operating temps. Would the drive last longer if it was cooler? Maybe, but I've also run drives for YEARS (5+ years) that ran much hotter. I'm fairly certain that my iMac 7,1 (2 years old now) will not be used by me for more than another 3-4 years.

PedroTex

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2008
1TB Caviar Black NOT INSTALLATION CHECKS FAILED?

just had the HDD installed after a failed HDD in my 07 24" Intel iMac. When I boot with the OSX (with TM external HDD connected via firewire) Disk 1 (10.5.2), it says "OS X can not be installed on this computer." I used disk utility to erase and checked mac-ext-journaled. I verified it and it was all green.

anyways, the startup log errors (line by line) are:
"Folder Manager is being asked to create a folder (cach) while running as uid 0"
same but (asav)
"Installation checks failed.
Installation check failures: This software cannot be installed on this computer":(

all that is logged before i start the utility. After I start the utility I get...

"CPSGetProcessInfo(): This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore.
CPSPBGetProcessInfo(): This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore.
DiskUtility Started"

Any ideas...I'm at my wits end as they say.

jonnymorris

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2006
North East, UK

I lost faith in Western Digital for hard drives a long time ago, I still read bad things about their products today so I'm very glad to have received a new iMac with a Seagate in it, even though it means I get that 'grumbling hard drive' sound. It's not audible with some background noise (radio, TV, cars driving by) anyway and is certainly not a fault.

How do I find out what my current hard drive temperature is on an i5 iMac?

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
Caviar Black's are very fast, but (IMHO) very loud. I would recommend a Blue, unless you're OK with considerably more seek noise. I wouldn't be - especially since the Blues are almost as fast, cheaper, and NOT noisy.

However, I recommend you check http://www.harddrivebenchmark.net to compare performance. The fastest 1TB drive I have found (for a decent price) is this one. It is considerably faster than the Caviar Black WD1001FALS.

iSKW

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2010
instead of starting a new thread i figured i would just post here. I have a WD Caviar black in my new iMac i3 and I noticed that the harddrive isnt as quite as some. Is this because they are performance drives and just seek more then lets say the seagate?

product26

Cancelled
May 30, 2005
My caviar black was just about as loud as the seagate before AAM.

I booted in to Windows 7 and ran a program called "HDDScan" this allowed me to select the "quiet" AAM setting which almost completely silenced my drive except for the platter spin noise.

I also ran a program to disable head parking on the drive to hopefully extend the life a bit.

instead of starting a new thread i figured i would just post here. I have a WD Caviar black in my new iMac i3 and I noticed that the harddrive isnt as quite as some. Is this because they are performance drives and just seek more then lets say the seagate?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.