Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Alright thanks a ton guys will fold for a long long time.

alright! thanks! let us know if you have any problems or issues and we'll try to help you out.

we just got passed by another team, so we are now #61. and we will get passed again in less than a month. we have got to get more people involved!

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
alright! thanks! let us know if you have any problems or issues and we'll try to help you out.

we just got passed by another team, so we are now #61. and we will get passed again in less than a month. we have got to get more people involved!
Or current people getting bonus points. I'm busy today, but maybe I could write up something tonight, time permitting.

RiskyMr

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2009
The title of this thread made me think there was an origami competition. :)

Anyway, I just joined the MacRumors team.

RiskyMr

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2009
I'm on a Core i7 860 @ 2.8GHz 8GB mem running Windows 7.

I'm 9% through my first task running on a single core. (I'll figure out how to use more cores later...)

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I'm on a Core i7 860 @ 2.8GHz 8GB mem running Windows 7.

I'm 9% through my first task running on a single core. (I'll figure out how to use more cores later...)

You'll have to speed up your CPU more (ie overclock) in order to deliver results faster and get a higher PPD rating.

Also, which client did you download or are you using the Command Prompt? If you are using the command prompt, write the following:

-smp 6 -bigadv -verbosity 9 -local

This will dedicate 6 of your 8 threads to the Folding. Editing how many threads you dedicate can be done by upping or lowering the number after -smp

RiskyMr

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2009
I downloaded the Windows XP/Vista/7/2003/2008 Console client version #6.23.

It didn't recognize the -bigadv option, but the client I have has a -advmethod option. Also, when using the -smp option I get an error message saying that "mpiexec is not recognized".

I'll run a few more using a single core each and try to make some sense of this in the morning. (And it's all for a good cause, right...) :) :)

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
The title of this thread made me think there was an origami competition. :)

Anyway, I just joined the MacRumors team.

thanks for joining our team! let us know if you have any questions. just start a new thread and someone will try and help you. that i7 you have will fold great, and it is a good cause.

as for my folding output, i'm in the process of moving (first time home buyer!) and probably won't have much output in the next week.

lozanoj83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2006
Southern California
I just got a 2.8 i7 Quad Core iMac, and I wouldn't mind helping out if someone would outline the steps for me. I already installed seti@home, but the application is only using one core, which really bugs me. I wont be able to dedicate my machine 24/7, but on the down time, or when I leave the room I wouldn't mind leaving it on.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I just got a 2.8 i7 Quad Core iMac, and I wouldn't mind helping out if someone would outline the steps for me. I already installed seti@home, but the application is only using one core, which really bugs me. I wont be able to dedicate my machine 24/7, but on the down time, or when I leave the room I wouldn't mind leaving it on.

thanks! your iMac should fold nicely. start here at our own folding FAQ.

basically, there are 2 types of folding clients: a console (terminal) and one that runs in system preferences. most people here run the console client, mainly b/c you have more control.

are you familiar with running things in terminal? if so, all you do is download the client, extract it, move into that folder, and start the script with some options. here would be an example for you:

Code:
fah -smp 8 -advmethods -verbosity 9 -local

and you can stop that when you want by typing control+c.

please let us know if you have any other questions

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Congrats to the team! Well more like encouragements :cool:
We reached 400k PPD which isn't great in itself except that this is without twoodcc's help, so when he will come back, we should reach our highest average yet.

Still we need more firepower. We still crunch at #65 average PPD, meaning we will be loosing ground again. Also the release of the new Sandbridge chips will hurt us. Non overclocked 4 cores single CPU can do 30k PPD with bigadv, or about what a 8 core 2.26Ghz Nehalem does. Seeing that Mac Pro won't get Sandbridge until 2012, this is going to be tough. Also NVidia releases the 560 ti for mid range with good performance for GPU Folding, which can't be done with Mac OS X...

Ultimately, the Macs make less and less sense for Folding.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Congrats to the team! Well more like encouragements :cool:
We reached 400k PPD which isn't great in itself except that this is without twoodcc's help, so when he will come back, we should reach our highest average yet.

Still we need more firepower. We still crunch at #65 average PPD, meaning we will be loosing ground again. Also the release of the new Sandbridge chips will hurt us. Non overclocked 4 cores single CPU can do 30k PPD with bigadv, or about what a 8 core 2.26Ghz Nehalem does. Seeing that Mac Pro won't get Sandbridge until 2012, this is going to be tough. Also NVidia releases the 560 ti for mid range with good performance for GPU Folding, which can't be done with Mac OS X...

Ultimately, the Macs make less and less sense for Folding.

Yet, I think here, many of us Folding aren't using Macs ;) for instance, the Macross. Full HD 5850 folding (only one of them currently) and 7 threads dedicated to CPU folding on a 3.8GHz i7-930.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
I am folding in windows with my gpu for the next week or so, or until twoodcc gets back, then I'll go back to os x. We will have crazy ppd (for us anyway :p) when he returns!! As least jav6454 is back now. :)
If all goes to plan, I will be building an Ivy Bridge computer when the chip comes out. But who knows when that is actually going to happen.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
I am folding in windows with my gpu for the next week or so, or until twoodcc gets back, then I'll go back to os x. We will have crazy ppd (for us anyway :p) when he returns!! As least jav6454 is back now. :)
If all goes to plan, I will be building an Ivy Bridge computer when the chip comes out. But who knows when that is actually going to happen.

Ivy Bridge ain't got nothing on Bloomfield! :D:D:eek:

*sobs to death at realization of Ivy Bridge outdating Bloomfield*:eek::(

At any rate, once twoodcc gets back I'll put in my remaining 5850 at -bigadv units at maximum clocks.

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
My 2007 MacPro 2,1 could use a boost also. Sadly it would make sense to replace it with a 27'' iMac with these new 3.4Ghz SandyBridge chip whenever it comes out. I can't really justify buying a 12 core machine just for Folding...

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Yes it does! And my 27" iMac is crunching 24/7 since I'm back from a holidays. And getting bonuspoints now, doing about 9000 ppd with the advmethods. This is a huge improvement for me, but don't know if I keep folding 24/7 because of the electricity bill... Cheers guys!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well guys i'm finally moved into the new house, and finally got internet going today. but the internet is terrible here, no cable - just DSL @3.0 mbps.

i just got 4 x 260's folding at the moment.

i will crank up some of the other rigs during the week or weekend.

during the move, for some reason my hard drive crashed on my main folding rig. i had to replace the hard drive, and i got it running as a hackintosh at the moment (while i didn't have internet; just to play around with) but i still have to install windows on it and get everything setup.

looks like everyone has been folding well while i've been out the last couple of weeks though. great job everyone! :)

we are now #62 overall though. hopefully we can continue to get better.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Welcome back twoodcc!!
Also, just saw that I'm the #16 folder of the team, always nice to know! :)
Willbe going for the #10 spot in the next couple of days, so be warned :):)

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Welcome back twoodcc!!
Also, just saw that I'm the #16 folder of the team, always nice to know! :)
Willbe going for the #10 spot in the next couple of days, so be warned :):)

thanks! even though it might take awhile to get back to where i was. but every little bit helps!

nice! sounds good! keep it up! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.