Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deadfrog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2004
UK / Bournemouth
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a good, prefferably cheap, dvd burner for a G4 (digital audio) tower.

Is it worth the hassle changing the internal drive? or can you get cheap external ones (firewire case) that will be fully compatible with itunes / idvd apps...

would like to spend around £20 - 30 range prefferably. hopefully be able to pick up a bargain on boxing day....

thanks.

rich

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
i agree on the suggestion on getting the Pioneer DVR-108. I personally have the 107D, but i have herd nothing but good things about the 108.

it is really easy to install/replace the optical drive. all you have to do is turn off your computer, open the side of your tower. Then, unplug your IDE and power cords from the optical drive, and zip drive if you have one. Then all you need to do is push on the small graphite tabs, which are for the faceplate, push them in and push toward the front of the tower. Once the faceplate is off, then you can unscrew the tray that holds the drives, side it out and unscrew the drive, then just replace it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.