Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jps1012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
NYC
My iphone 4 is been sluggish lately. What's the best app to free up memory? I have read about iStat, System Activity Monitor, Memory Status and free memory. Most of them havent been updated in a long time so i am not sure if they still work well. Any suggestions? Thanks.

gks

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
My iphone 4 is been sluggish lately. What's the best app to free up memory? I have read about iStat, System Activity Monitor, Memory Status and free memory. Most of them havent been updated in a long time so i am not sure if they still work well. Any suggestions? Thanks.

No app frees up memory that a simple reboot won't solve. If it still remains "sluggish" wipe the phone and start new.

jps1012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
NYC
No app frees up memory that a simple reboot won't solve. If it still remains "sluggish" wipe the phone and start new.

I reboot everyday. Its weird it says I have 2gb free but i dont see how i have the rest used.

If I do a wipe, what will I lose even after I sync it up again?

gks

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
I reboot everyday. Its weird it says I have 2gb free but i dont see how i have the rest used.

If I do a wipe, what will I lose even after I sync it up again?

Ok, now you're talking different type of memory. 2gig free would be the result of putting files on your phone. Music, Movies, podcasts, photos, ebooks, whatever.

Check iTunes and see where the data is being used

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
deleting some files maybe music, photo's or video's is the only way to get more space. btw apps like Istat that actually did free up memory Apple removed the option. Devs can no longer support this. I never upgraded my Istat because of this and it still works 4.2.1 on a iphone 4. the app is completely different then the 1.0 version. people like myself were very pissed that apple forced them to remove the feature.

Last edited:

jps1012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
NYC
I have a question about music. When I download a new cd I bought to itunes it's like 550 mb. Is that right? Seems high. thanks

gks

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
I have a question about music. When I download a new cd I bought to itunes it's like 550 mb. Is that right? Seems high. thanks

Been awhile since I bought a new Album from iTunes but they shouldn't be more than 150mb unless it also includes videos. I just checked a 33 song compilation I purchased (iTunes Plus, so 256kbps files) and it's 254 megabytes for 33 songs.

jps1012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
NYC
Been awhile since I bought a new Album from iTunes but they shouldn't be more than 150mb unless it also includes videos. I just checked a 33 song compilation I purchased (iTunes Plus, so 256kbps files) and it's 254 megabytes for 33 songs.

Its weird the cd I imported to itunes is 13 songs, 51 minutes and 515 mb

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.