Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3dy.ro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
I'm using keyboard shortcuts for everything. If there is no shortcut for something, I make it.

Since I'm doing this, I removed the toolbars of all my apps. Sadly, Finder's toolbar still manages to appear 1 out of 10 times (well, mostly with new folders, folders I didn't open before, and disk images).

How can I tell Finder that I just want to get rid of the damn toolbar forever? It is obviously possible, but I don't have the slightest idea how to do it.

Also, hiding the toolbar also hides the sidebar (I'm on 10.5.8). I learned to live with this, but I'd like to hide only the toolbar if it's possible. And it is. I just meant... if any of you know. :D

Thanks a lot, and have a great day! Oh, that's my first post.

3dy.ro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
@GGJstudios
Because the toolbar size will just be reduced to 50%, but it will still take space and it will not be like it was hidden. Try it, you'll see what I mean. An empty toolbar eats a lot of space.

@Dalton63841
Simple Finder doesn't support keyboard shortcuts, selecting, CTRL+Click, I can't even copy and paste with it. Also, every folder opens in a new window.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Use one of the various tools such as Onyx to delete all of the .DS_Store files from your computer (this will remove any custom views that have been set for folders), then open a brand new Finder window, hide the toolbar, and immediately close it again. That should set the default for all new windows to open without the toolbar. The only exception will be if you download a DMG or a zip archive or similar that has any view preferences set, those will open however they were configured by the company/person distributing them, but shouldn't affect your defaults.

EDIT: Incidentally, I've not hidden mine but reduced it significantly. I rather like the look it produces, and it doesn't take up much space.

Screen%20shot%202011-01-28%20at%204.06.04%20PM.PNG

jW

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. I changed mine to small icons rather than text. The space it uses doesn't bother me that much, but it's nice to know how to customize it when I want to.

3dy.ro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
@Mal
I did it in the past, but:
1. It screws up all my folder-related preferences.
2. Opening DMGs, memory sticks, external HDDs, and anything else other than regular folders still displays the toolbar. And so do folder aliases... if I open a folder through an alias, it is shown with the toolbar. Even if I hide it, the next time I boot my Mac and open the same folder through the same alias, the toolbar is here.

Yes, that's 50% of the solution, but it still takes space and it is still useless.

@r0k
I do. I have a widescreen MacBook and every "vertical" pixel counts. I turned off the toolbar of every app I use, and none of them reverts the setting. Except Finder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.