Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TommyMacBrown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
Hello.
Power Mac G5
Lost internet connection, and can't get back. I have other computers, both Mac & PC, and they are connected. I rebooted the modem and the router, as well as the computer. I switched the ethernet from one port to another on the Mac. No Luck.
Could I have inadvertently changed some setting? Clicked something I shouldn't have.\?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
Does another computer get an internet connection on the same port of the router/switch with the same cable? Do any lights turn on when connected to the G5? That is, does the router/switch recognize that it's connected to an ethernet port?

TommyMacBrown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
Connections

Thanks for your reply Detrius.

the cable is connected to the modem. The modem is connected to the router. Both the PowerMac and the Dell are connected to the router. Macbook via Airport card. The Dell and the Macbook work fine. The PowerMac says it is not connected. ?

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
What I'm saying is that it's possible that the ethernet cable or the port on the router could be bad. You need to try connecting that cable to another machine.

All I can deduce from what you've said is that your internet connection is working and that the router is configured properly. You could still have software issues on the G5, hardware issues on the G5, a bad ethernet cable, or a bad port on the router.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.