Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tek210

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
Will be buying my first iPad when version 2 is release soon. Am looking for a case setup that has a Bluetooth keyboard with it. At least at this point, the 2 leading contenders are the ClamCase and the ZaggMate case.

I like how thin the ZaggMate unit leaves the ipad. The ClamCase is also nice basically turning the iPad into a netbook/small macbook.

Opinions and feedback on these 2 is appreciated. If there are any similar units out there to check out I am open to suggestions. Have a couple of months to find the best option.

PanAm-L1011

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Republic of California
Will be buying my first iPad when version 2 is release soon. Am looking for a case setup that has a Bluetooth keyboard with it. At least at this point, the 2 leading contenders are the ClamCase and the ZaggMate case.

I like how thin the ZaggMate unit leaves the ipad. The ClamCase is also nice basically turning the iPad into a netbook/small macbook.

Opinions and feedback on these 2 is appreciated. If there are any similar units out there to check out I am open to suggestions. Have a couple of months to find the best option.

Well, neither will likely be compatible with iPad 2 so you are better off waiting until iPad 2 is released then decide.

tek210

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
Well, neither will likely be compatible with iPad 2 so you are better off waiting until iPad 2 is released then decide.

Yeah I realize the current model will need a slight tweak, was not planning on buying until it is ver 2 compatible.

chriseh

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2004
Southwest
Right now the clamcase is "vaporware", there have been no reviews posted and the company is apparently taking money for the case with a promise to ship. Looking at both of these myself, but until the clamcase actually ships and is reviewed by someone, the zaggmate is the only one in existence.

tek210

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
Right now the clamcase is "vaporware", there have been no reviews posted and the company is apparently taking money for the case with a promise to ship. Looking at both of these myself, but until the clamcase actually ships and is reviewed by someone, the zaggmate is the only one in existence.

Did not realize that. I thought the backorder was for the second batch of units.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Did not realize that. I thought the backorder was for the second batch of units.
If any consumer has received a Clamcase, they are not posting here, Facebook or Twitter. The people who are posting are the ones who placed orders and are being told their Clamcase will ship 'sometime in January, 2011'. There have been 2 reviews of the same demo unit that was at CES. If ZAGG/mate and Rocketfish (similar keyboards) plus Sena, Brookstone and Kensington (similar, rubbery keyboards) can all get products out, why can't Clamcase?

hull22

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2011
Seattle, WA
received notification that my preordered Clamcase will ship next week. Will post a review after I receive it.

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
There are pros and cons of laptop style and stand style keyboard cases.

I decided I prefer the Zaggmate case.

Pros/Cons of laptop:

- Easy to use in landscape mode, just open and use.
- Solid protection all the way around.
- Using it as a tablet will be more cumbersome as the keyboard stays with it.
- No real vertical mode while using keyboard.

Pros/Cons of stand style:

- Separate keyboard means you can use as landscape or portrait when using keyboard.
- Easy use of tablet as a stand alone.
- Limited/no protection (Zaggmate is the only stand keyboard that I know of that is also a "case")

So it really depends on your usage scenario. For me, I like using the iPad as a reader a lot, so I really would rather have a naked iPad for that vs a huge case with keyboard included. So my decision was easy. :)

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010

If you are getting iPad revision 2, neither because nobody knows for sure about the revision 2 form factor.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Will be buying my first iPad when version 2 is release soon.

For the ZAGG/Mate, the only opening in the keyboard shell is for the dock connector. Keep in mind, if any aspect of the form factor changes, even the thickness, all cases will have to be redesigned. It's been almost 10 months since the iPad was announced and there are only 2 hard cases with keyboards available, while 4 have been announced.

You also have to determine how you will use the iPad the most. If stand alone, the ZAAG/Mate would be the better choice. If with the keyboard, the Clamcase, Crux360, or Rocketfish would be better, IMO.

tek210

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
Yeah this may be a multi stage deal, get one in April and then hope that it is not too long before the cases I really want are available.

Carter123

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2011
Definitely wait for a product to be reviewed. Give it a few weeks to be sure you have a good sample. I bought a case with all 5 star reviews (from about 5 people) on Amazon. Mine did not work. When I checked it again, 3 - 4 more reviews were out there with the same problems. I would not have purchased it had I seen them first. I sent it back.

I'm trying out a Zaggmate now. For the most part it seems to be a good product. The USB connection is somewhat flimsy - watch for that on all cases. The folks at BestBuy warned me that several had come back with collapsed USB ports. The keyboard quality is good and it remains paired, unlike my last case.

Surprisingly, it will cradle the ipad with the original Apple case I got with it. That makes it a little more secure and lets me use the back flap to stabilize it on my lap. Of course, you cannot store it in the Zaggmate with the Apple case on it. I'm keeping it this way because having a case on the ipad makes it much more secure to hold and carry when not using the keyboard.

My other gripe with the ZaggMate is not having protection for the ipad. They charge $50 for their Leatherskin and that it ridiculous. IMO they should include a Leatherskin with the case for a few $ more.

The clamcase looks really interesting. I hope it is a good product.

jcooper82160

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2011
is Clamcase ever going to ship

I was given a gift card for clamcase and ordered December 28th. The only thing I have seen is an email confirming the order. I have emailed twice asking for updates, and only get a reply that they will ship soon. I'm starting to feel like I've been ripped off. Has anyone actually received a clamcase?

LadyMacBeth43

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2010
I have the Zaggmate and I'm very happy with it. I can't speak to the usb thing as I haven't had to charge the battery. The case is not my primary case. I use the InCase Book Jacket close to 75% of the time and the Zaggmate the rest and which I chose depends entirely on how I anticipate using the iPad at the time I'm packing up. The Zaggmate does not let me use the iPad the way I tend to across the entire day when I am out and about which is why it is no good as a primary case. I do a lot of writing on the iPad, though, and some data entry here and there, and for that it's fabulous. For life out in the wild, it goes back into the Book Jacket. The Zaggmate offers zero protection when you are using it as a keyboard/stand combination.

If you don't yet have an iPad at all, my recommendation is actually to not get ANY case for a few weeks until you figure out how you are going to use your iPad. I *intended* to use mine just as a reading and writing tool, but it was so good at other things that I found many, many other uses for it. (I used a Domke camera wrap for protection until I made my initial case decision. A padded envelope will also work.)

By waiting, I discovered I hated the idea of having to open anything up (like a laptop opens), unzip, or unbuckle my iPad to check it for 30 seconds. Drives me nuts. Knowing that about my own habits would have easily eliminated some of the choices between cases you are trying to make for yourself, were I now trying to choose.

endressks

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2011
Still waiting

I ordered by clam case on 12/21 with the understanding that it would ship in Jan. On m
Jan 13 I got an email that shipments were starting the following week which would be the week of Jan 17. Not specifically that mine would ship. Now here we are 4 days until the last day of Jan and mine still has not shipped. I sent another email to sales so we will see what they say. I came here hoping someone in the forum had received theirs but I don't see that anyone has.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
A few people in the Clamcase discussion thread on Facebook have received theirs an have posted pictures. While not many, several of them have reported their Clamcase was DOA.

tek210

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
I have the Zaggmate and I'm very happy with it. I can't speak to the usb thing as I haven't had to charge the battery. The case is not my primary case. I use the InCase Book Jacket close to 75% of the time and the Zaggmate the rest and which I chose depends entirely on how I anticipate using the iPad at the time I'm packing up. The Zaggmate does not let me use the iPad the way I tend to across the entire day when I am out and about which is why it is no good as a primary case. I do a lot of writing on the iPad, though, and some data entry here and there, and for that it's fabulous. For life out in the wild, it goes back into the Book Jacket. The Zaggmate offers zero protection when you are using it as a keyboard/stand combination.

If you don't yet have an iPad at all, my recommendation is actually to not get ANY case for a few weeks until you figure out how you are going to use your iPad. I *intended* to use mine just as a reading and writing tool, but it was so good at other things that I found many, many other uses for it. (I used a Domke camera wrap for protection until I made my initial case decision. A padded envelope will also work.)

By waiting, I discovered I hated the idea of having to open anything up (like a laptop opens), unzip, or unbuckle my iPad to check it for 30 seconds. Drives me nuts. Knowing that about my own habits would have easily eliminated some of the choices between cases you are trying to make for yourself, were I now trying to choose.

Really like this idea of this combo. Think I would agree with the expected usage and protection needs. Good thing is they should have this iPad 2 compatible at launch. Won't have to deal with the likely redesign time for the other 2.

tek210

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
A few people in the Clamcase discussion thread on Facebook have received theirs an have posted pictures. While not many, several of them have reported their Clamcase was DOA.

For me this locks down the choice. While not perfect have heard mainly positive stuff on Zaggmate. Think I will hold this in a neoprene sleeve and the iPad in the Incase convertible book case for main use.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
My trip to Macworld SF, sold me on the Zaggmate. I even went to the demo (3) times, and the third time was with my wife b/c she kept yacking about the clamcase. Just a perfect match for our iPad; hopefully they'll have something in line for iPad 2 in April or thereabouts when my wife purchases her iPad 2...:cool:

JeffShahan

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2011
Clamcase = DOA

Well folks, I have finally received my Clamcase and I sit here hunting and pecking with my index fingers on my iPad. "Why?" you ask...

While I was nervous this was a Kaiser Soze scam (except convincing the world the Clamcase actually did exist), I finally received it yesterday (2/3).

Upon unpacking, I was skeptical as the material felt a bit cheep. I could get past this if performance didn't match feel, but I am sad to say I am utterly disappointed. I MAY VERY WELL BE THE EXCEPTION, but after charging mine for two hours (packaging says charge indicator light will turn from amber to green upon charge completion in about 90 mins) the amber light was still on.

I went out and grabbed a bite to eat for dinner and came back to find no difference. I figured if the package says full charge in 90 mins, it should be safe to give a spin after four hours. I unplugged, pushed power and ......... NOTHING. The freaking thing does not even power up. I tried to push, push and hold for one, two, three, four, five, and ten second intervals and still nothing. Grrrrrrrr! I checked out the packaging and it says that you can check the battery life by pressing a key combination and the indicator light (the ever-amber light) is supposed to blink from one to a few times. The more blinks, the more juice. I got nothing.

You can imagine my frustration. "You can $h*t in a box and slap a guarantee on it, but all you are getting is a guaranteed piece of ..."

Now for a relatively objective review of the equipment itself... As I said the material feels cheap but the iPad fits very nicely into the case. When the case is closed, it feels very sturdy and I would feel very comfortable throwing it in my bookbag and traveling or going to class. It has nice rubber feet which provide a good grip on surfaces - if it ever does work, this will be nice for typing. When you open the case, you have to use two hands holding the bottom down. No biggie. The range of motion is such that you can view as a notebook/laptop, you can fold it so that the lid (where the iPad is stored) lies flush with the keyboard (both facing the ceiling), and you can keep going until the top outer cover meets the bottom outer cover (meaning the iPad is exposed and the keyboard is exposed (as if you turned the closed configuration inside-out) and anything in between.

The range of motion is good, and the hinge mechanism is not bad. I would prefer it a little stiffer to give me a little more confidence, but it feels like the lid on a two year old Dell. A little loser than one would hope.

When use the iPad on your lap or a table, or even to open it 270+ degrees as shown here---> (*.*) /_

The keyboard is now facing the surface upon which it sits. It also has low-profile grippy footpads (which also protect the iPad from directly touching the keyboard in the closed position), but I am not crazy about this design. When you hold it as a tablet with your fingers at the back for support, you are touching keys and it doesn't quite feel right.

The keys themselves are not too bad although they have what look like iron-on stickers for the characters and commands on the keyboard.

When sitting open in the laptop position, the ipad portion is considerably heavier than the keyboard side. When you pick it up, gently supporting it from the bottom, it's a bit top heavy and somewhat unnerving. If you continue to hold as you would a laptop and create inertia toward the floor (by nothing more than walking), the monitor/iPad side will rotate downward (again, lacking in my opinion, a stiffer hinge).

Getting back to the basics, it would be nice if this $120 POS would simply turn on. I have written Clamcase Support, and will update when/if I hear back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.