Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hey Apple!

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2007
I help run a Minecraft server. It's a very addicting game indeed. Welcome to the minecraft community.

gmcguinn

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Hey,
I was thinking of buying Minecraft for my MBP...
I have the 13" 2.66GHz core 2Duo model.. Is that good enough to run Minecraft on the highest settings without any lag?

And another question... I know that Notch came out and said that those who bought the game in Alpha wouldn't have to pay for any updates that come out in the future... Does that mean that if I buy the game now (in Beta) that I will have to pay for each and every little update that he brings out for the game during Beta and afterwards?

quandmeme

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2006
No, if you buy in Beta you get (i) all the updates in beta (ii) the full released game (iii) AND all updates to the full game.

If you had bought in Alpha the you would also have (iv) free expansions (if any).

If you wait until full release you will have to buy all the subsequent version of (iii). So if he goes from 2.0 to 3.0 you are not guaranteed to get that free if you only bought the full release.

My warning is that SMP ruins you for solo play. It used to be so rewarding to play in my own world. Then my daughter and I found an awesome server but when the updates take it down, we don't play much solo.

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
My warning is that SMP ruins you for solo play. It used to be so rewarding to play in my own world. Then my daughter and I found an awesome server but when the updates take it down, we don't play much solo.

I agree with this. What really ruined it for me was firing up my own server that myself and friends could play on. It's still fun, then you want to start an epic building project, so you start using the server commands to give yourself a bunch of free crap.

Suddenly you realize how pointless the digging around in the ground is farming for stuff when you can just type a simple server command to give yourself the stuff.

jlw2387

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2010
Hey,
I was thinking of buying Minecraft for my MBP...
I have the 13" 2.66GHz core 2Duo model.. Is that good enough to run Minecraft on the highest settings without any lag?

You will be fine, I have the 2.4gHz 13" and its great. There really aren't many settings, and it's a very un-demanding game.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
You will be fine, I have the 2.4gHz 13" and its great. There really aren't many settings, and it's a very un-demanding game.

It's very demanding! Uses up a whole single core on all my multicore computers. It uses a lot of CPU and memory. Not so much GPU.

gmcguinn

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Just downloaded last night!
I spent a full 5 hours building up my own little house... Love this game! Also thanks for the warning.. I wasn't going to connect up to a sever. I like the idea of having to rummage for you stuff. Like for example I was mining for a good hour yesterday and I only managed to find 1 piece of Diamond! lol
I have that one piece in it's own double storage unit! I will not let it out of my sight!

jlw2387

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2010
It's very demanding! Uses up a whole single core on all my multicore computers. It uses a lot of CPU and memory. Not so much GPU.

We are talking games here. Minecraft is demanding for an application, but not very demanding as far as games go. It doesn't even cause my fans to kick on.

gmcguinn

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
We are talking games here. Minecraft is demanding for an application, but not very demanding as far as games go. It doesn't even cause my fans to kick on.

I agree. My MBP 2.66 can handle it fine but my fans are definitely working overtime. Works fine though!
Really great game to pass the time.
Starting to go around college now too... if you sit at the back of the lecture you can see 5-10 people playing the game.... :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
After having my arm twisted, I searched the MR Game forum and resurrected this old Minecraft thread for the purpose of asking just what is this game? Is it basically a sandbox MMO? Are there quests or is it mostly building? Can it be hosted at home and played on a home network? Thanks! :)

swartzfeger

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2012
After having my arm twisted, I searched the MR Game forum and resurrected this old Minecraft thread for the purpose of asking just what is this game? Is it basically a sandbox MMO? Are there quests or is it mostly building? Can it be hosted at home and played on a home network? Thanks! :)

Yeah, sandbox MMO... no quests, all building and exploration. And you can run your own server. My nephew is flat out addicted to it and spends his time making sure others can't break into his house and steal his stuff.

I get it, but I don't get it. My nephew has tried explaining more advanced concepts like building mob grinders. And I think ok... you grind all these mobs, and collect their loot at the end of the chute... and the point of this is?

Just seems like the game is a solution looking for a problem. I don't think I have the itch the game is trying to scratch.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yeah, sandbox MMO... no quests, all building and exploration. And you can run your own server. My nephew is flat out addicted to it and spends his time making sure others can't break into his house and steal his stuff.

I get it, but I don't get it. My nephew has tried explaining more advanced concepts like building mob grinders. And I think ok... you grind all these mobs, and collect their loot at the end of the chute... and the point of this is?

Just seems like the game is a solution looking for a problem. I don't think I have the itch the game is trying to scratch.

Thanks for sharing!

Say a couple of people want to play this over a home network. Are there pre-made worlds, must you start from scratch, or your choice? If starting from scratch, I imagine there would be no exploration to speak of. I realize I'd have to play to really see, but it seems like a non-focused environment to hang out in and build stuff. I've heard of mob grinders. I suppose they add a little action into the game? I've watched a couple of videos and it looks like you can arm yourself with an elongated board and whack things with it. Do boards come in different strengths? ;)

I realize the beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I'd much rather be in a Skyrim setting than surrounded by blocks. Why not build a realistic environment like Skyrim and turn it into a sandbox? That is what I'd prefer even though, probably, there would be less ability to change the landscape in Skyrim then there would be in a Lego style building- block setting

swartzfeger

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2012
Thanks for sharing!

Say a couple of people want to play this over a home network. Are there pre-made worlds, must you start from scratch, or your choice? If starting from scratch, I imagine there would be no exploration to speak of. I realize I'd have to play to really see, but it seems like a non-focused environment to hang out in and build stuff. I've heard of mob grinders. I suppose they add a little action into the game? I've watched a couple of videos and it looks like you can arm yourself with an elongated board and whack things with it. Do boards come in different strengths? ;)

I realize the beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I'd much rather be in a Skyrim setting than surrounded by blocks. Why not build a realistic environment like Skyrim and turn it into a sandbox? That is what I'd prefer even though, probably, there would be less ability to change the landscape in Skyrim then there would be in a Lego style building- block setting

IIRC, you can generate a random world based on a template ('desert', etc) and then mod it from there. Also, I think running your own server allows you to operate in God mode.

You can craft swords etc of various strength using different material -- wood, stone etc.

One idea, if you have iOS, is to grab the Minecraft mobile edition. While missing a big chunk of the minecraft experience, it gives you a flavor of what to expect.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Minecraft can nearly be summed up as playing as a LEGO minifig, except everything is blockish and you can die. There are weapons, you can fight other players, but that depends on the server. I play to build things with other people, to create cool structures and zones and see what other people make. If you're not good at coming up with your own goals, Minecraft will be a hard game to play.

A mob grinder gives you some extra pieces to make more exotic things with – if you're really interested, you can check out the Minecraft wiki and see more about the game.

justmealison

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2011
USA
How to install mods

Hi there - my kids LOVE Minecraft, and we are all on macs. I have tried several different ways to install Mods for them, with zero success. (I found a few tutorials on youtube.)

Specifically, we're trying to install Mo' Creatures with Minecraft 1.2.4.

I'd love some advice, please in the simplest wording possible! I love my macs and am pretty good at navigating, but this install process has totally baffled me.

I'm not averse to buying a program if that's required, I just want to know before I buy that it will actually work!

Thanks in advance!

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Second resurrection of this thread... :p

After my grandson begged me to play with him, yesterday we went split screen coop on a single Xbox box. After all my negativity towards this game, I think I all most got hooked, except for one thing... what a huge time sink! I mean huge. We started out on survival mode and after I got killed twice, suggested we convert the game to creative mode, to take some of the pressure off and allow me to see what you can actually do if your not having to go out in the world to find stuff, nor have to run for your life. ;)

One thing I like about creative mode besides all materials are available in your inventory, is that you don't have to dig holes in the ground to get rock. I realize in the other mode, you could make a very small hole and expand as you go down for minimal disruption of the terrain. I also like that when I cut down a tree for wood, usually I get a sapling that falls out of the tree for replanting. Nice conservation. :)

After playing 4 hours or so on the creative setting, the next day I started a solo survival mode game. I'm sure many of you all know this already, but it changes the entire nature of the game. Night is very dangerous to be out in the wilds. My GS usually starts out by digging a hole to hide in at night until getting established. That was not my cup of tea. On the solo game I simply made a climbable dirt tower up to tree level and hung out in the tree canopies for a couple of nights until I could get a platform built. That was just to get me started. Once I fell off and spent the rest of the night running. Fortunately night only lasts about 5 min. Anyway this game scares me regarding the amount of time one could devote to it, tweaking this and that just to get it all just right. :p

Regarding the monsters (creepers?) that blow up when they get close to you. Is it as simple as lighting up your residence at night or doors to keep them out without blowing up?

I noticed on the iPad, the PE Edition is not nearly as impressive as the xbox version, obviously smaller screen and world and I don't care for controls. There is a "realms" server that is in testing. I'm not so sure I'd like to be on a group server, if other people can mess with your stuff?

Anywho, it's interesting, but I see the danger of getting hooked. I think I can resist and remain a casual player just because of the time involved.

sol1.jpeg

Wow!

Last edited:

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I have never had creepers blow up my house. I don't think they can do it while you sleep.
I always make a fence around my house tho.

I would suggest getting a map add-on, makes it a lot more fun to play.
This way you can set way points on the map, so you can find back to your house when you run around to explore.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have never had creepers blow up my house. I don't think they can do it while you sleep.
I always make a fence around my house tho.

I would suggest getting a map add-on, makes it a lot more fun to play.
This way you can set way points on the map, so you can find back to your house when you run around to explore.

That was one my most frustrating experiences in the game, getting killed and then respawning in another place and having difficulty finding my way home. I'll have to see if mods are available for the xbox version. My previous experiences with PC vs xBox games is that they won't be. :-\

I get the feeling creepers only blow up when they see a player. If I had one in my house, I think I'd run out the back door and make it follow me, but better if they never get in. :) Right now I have too maps running, one I designated survival, and the other creative peaceful. The peaceful map, I don't need a house that looks like an armed fortress, however I am researching "redstone", reading articles like Minecraft Wiki Redstone Circuits and figuring out how to make retractable bars, but I'm having some trouble in this regard.

For making a row of blocks that pop out of the floor to create a barrier, my impression is that this row can only be 1 block high. If I make it 2 blocks high, the top block sticks in the extended position. Also having trouble running the circuits to each piston block. This description may not be clear, but it appears that I can't have the circuits adjacent to each other or they form a closed loop and no longer go to the blocks. I've got 5 actuator piston blocks in a row, and it seems like I can't power all 5 easily, having to alternate the circuit hitting each block from the opposite side.

Update: I figured out how to make the circuits. It involves repeaters... :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.