Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DudeMartin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
Hey!

I'll get right to the point - let's say I have a 1.86GHz MacBook Air, 13" 2010 and I want to play a game that has like 2.2GHz for requirements. I am pretty certain that the MBA can run it... but according to reqs, it doesn't meet them. So would I get installation errors like "your computer does meet the requirements?"

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
No, it will install. You just might drop frames (if it's a game), or it might just run slow if it doesn't have enough horsepower.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
LFD2, COD4, and StarCraft can all run on the base model 13" and 11"
The flash makes up for the CPU
Not really sure what you mean by the "flash will make up for the CPU"

Having the SSD only helps with loading objects, maps, etc. When the game is actually running, the GPU is the most important factor. Then the CPU, RAM..etc.

To answer the OP's question, yes the game will run, but as said, you might drop some frames due to the CPU being a bottleneck, but the SSD does not have any affect on gameplay.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
It probably won't run very well. They are called MINIMUM requirments for a reason.

And no, the SSD does not make up for a CPU

iExpensive

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2010
Las Vegas
It probably won't run very well. They are called MINIMUM requirments for a reason.

And no, the SSD does not make up for a CPU
Then please explain to me why a computer running the same specs without the flash memory has less performance?

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Then please explain to me why a computer running the same specs without the flash memory has less performance?

It has less performance for anything that relies heavily on the hard drive. What that means is that while an SSD may load the game and a map quicker, once you're actually IN the game, the benefits of the SSD are gone and you're relying on your processor/video card from there on out.

Cerano

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2010
he's right. however, the 320m is surprisingly powerful anandtech claims it is essentially an integrated GT325m

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.