Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
I did discover Burnout Paradise which seems pretty awesome, although it uses real cars. Handling, although not realistic, IMO, is very stable, very playable, fun, and a rush!
Yea, that game is ace. I have it for PS3, and even to this day, I think it is one of the best looking current-gen games. Very arcadey, but that type of game is a blast. The online free-roam multiplayer mode is great fun, just racing around the city crashing into other players, setting quick sector times, etc. Great fun.
When I first started it up using the first car, I had an immediate flashback to Steve McQueen in Bullet, driving a 1968 Ford Mustang GT 390 probably the best car chase ever filmed. He was chased by a 1968 440 CID/375 bhp Dodge Charger. I'm getting chills...
Love that movie. It is right up there with "Le Mans" and "Two Lane Blacktop" in my list of great car movies.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yea, that game is ace. I have it for PS3, and even to this day, I think it is one of the best looking current-gen games. Very arcadey, but that type of game is a blast. The online free-roam multiplayer mode is great fun, just racing around the city crashing into other players, setting quick sector times, etc. Great fun.

I've not played the full version yet. It looks like it has splitscreen offline coop, fingers crossed! Yes it's arcadey but I'm not looking for a racing simulator, as they are too much work and I don't plan on buying a steering wheel so this is perfect.

Love that movie. It is right up there with "Le Mans" and "Two Lane Blacktop" in my list of great car movies.

The first time I saw that movie, after the chase, I was like, "when is the next car chase??!!" but that was it... ;)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I played a little of Sacred2 coop. It's a mediocre game. I mean it's ok, but nothing special to write home about. Definitely not an Oblivion, but you can't coop in Oblivion. ;)

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
It's very disappointing for a game like Burnout Paradise, Team Xbox lists it as having coop in green and when you get it is listed as 1 player and find out that no it has no offline coop. :(
Wow, that is a bummer, because that game is a total blast. My only guess is that with the crazy speeds that you race at, and with all the crap flying around on screen, getting local co-op was just too hard for them to get decent framerates with. The online co-op is great, if that is any concession for you.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Turns out there is an add-on for Burnout Paradise for 800 credits (approx $10) that does not add coop but it adds turn based challenges where you swap off. I guess I'll have to think bout that, but maybe I will. :)

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2004
OK, time for the perennial co-op thread-bump :p

I'm going to recommend the original Perfect Dark on XBLA for a variety of reasons:

- The controls/auto-aim make it a bit easier for people who don't have as much experience with modern FPS games.

- Lots of stuff to do: Solo mission co-op/counter-op, Co-op Challenges, and a million ways to mix it up in the combat simulator*.

- Tons of stages/weapons/items to choose from, as well as multiplayer stages + weapons from the original N64 Goldeneye.

- It's fun! Get a bunch of people on Live and play free-for-all, in teams, or band together against waves of cpu-controled enemies.

- It's cheap! Only 800 points for a game with an incredible amount of replay value.

Back in the day, I preferred Goldeneye over Perfect Dark due to frame rate issues on the latter. Now that everything runs smooth on the 360, all of the extra multiplayer options + Live play make PD really come into its own. Have fun!

*Tip: Before customizing your own matches in the Combat Simulator, play through as many Challenges as you can. Doing so will unlock a lot more options/gear for when you do your own custom matches.

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2004
Yup, they were both made by Rare. Zero came about many years after the original Perfect Dark, which was released in 2000 for the N64 (back when Rare still worked for Nintendo). So yeah, the game is pretty old :D. They updated the graphics (HD resolution, and all that) for the XBLA release, but not too much. It doesn't look like a modern FPS graphics-wise, but I was never big on realistic shooters, so it's a plus in my book. Given the space limitations of N64 cartridges that Rare had to work with, the story mode is incredibly short by modern standards, but it's really the combat simulator where you'll have lots of fun with friends.

As for controls, they've been updated be dual-analog friendly. There are a bunch of presets that mimic the layouts of modern FPS franchises, as well as a classic mode for people like me where Goldeneye was the last FPS I played :p.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Lately I've been playing Monday Night Combat (Xbox Arcade game). It's ok, it reminds me of Ratchet and Clank although it does not have hardly any environmental depth as compared to R&C. From what I've seen so far there are just main arenas, not sprawling levels.

MNC_screenshot01--screenshot_viewer_medium.jpg

MNC_screenshot04--screenshot_viewer_medium.jpg

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
Anyone know if Halo Reach and COD Black Ops will have 3-4 player campaign co-op? I've read different previews and I'm not sure...
I don't know about COD, but I know for sure that Reach DOES have 4-player co-op. You can do 4 players for campaign over XBL, or 2 player local on the same Xbox. Same for Firefight mode as well.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Played about 5 hours of Halo Reach coop this weekend. OK, so the game has grown on me. :) We enjoyed the flying missions and just got to the Chapter called Pillar of Autumn, a sentimental name for any true Halo affectionato. :p Anyone know how close to the end of the game we are? Not that we want to be, just figure we are approaching the end.

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2004
I've only played Halo once before, but Reach sounds very co-op friendly, so I might have to check it out.

In other news.... Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game is very fun to play co-op, even if you're like me and haven't read the comics or seen the movie. Unfortunately, it's local co-op only... no Live for now.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Offline co-op (same screen):

Borderlands
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2
The side missions in COD:MW2 (not the campaign)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Looking for a good coop shooter with ideally a good campaign, maybe something along the lines of Gears of War.

Red Faction: Armageddon or Rage, by iD a company whose past games have been very enjoyable. strengths and weaknesses? What do you guys think? One or both? ;)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I am pissed. As Rage has not been released, we purchased Red Faction:Armageddon which clearly states on the box offline coop in green. Bullxxxx! There is no offline coop. Is there something I'm not understanding about xbox game markings? $60 is too much to spend on a mistake.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
I am pissed. As Rage has not been released, we purchased Red Faction:Armageddon which clearly states on the box offline coop in green. Bullxxxx! There is no offline coop. Is there something I'm not understanding about xbox game markings? $60 is too much to spend on a mistake.

You could return it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.