Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yurena

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2011
Based on past OSX upgrades, should my SL programs/apps (including antivirus) be working after the upgrade? If I do a fresh OSX install, will I be able to install SL programs on Lion? I'm quite new to Mac... Thanks in advance.

yurena

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2011
Thanks for your prompt reply. It's not AV that I have but a security suite with instrusion prevention and firewall.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Thanks for your prompt reply. It's not AV that I have but a security suite with instrusion prevention and firewall.

What is the name of that software?
Btw, Mac OS X has a firewall built in and the router you use maybe even has a firewall too.
Most often extra security software is not necessary.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
If it's from a well known company then Apple would most likely have included them on private beta distribution that seems to have already.

Given there seems to be a short developer window between Developer Conference and summer release Apple must be pretty confident they aren't breaking any major software. There will be software that does break and is hopefully fixed in that time window.

The developers of productive software should all release a compatibility statement when Apple lifts the NDA on the beta. So in the week before the release you should expect to see something from them.

If yours is a machine you rely on for productivity then hold off installing (or install on second partition) until you see statements one way or the other. Always wait till your off your critical path and make sure your backups are up to date and always install on to another disk first give it a day or two to see if it feels right. At least for the first machine in the office.

If you have a friend with the same working profile get them to do it instead of you.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
Getting back to the original question: They should be, I havent had an update to Mac OS X break anything more than utility software like OnyX - anything I actually need to get work done has worked seamlessly, and this is over 10.0->10.1->10.2->10.3->10.4->10.5->10.5Intel->10.6, so I expect this to work for 10.7 as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.