Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

exilekiller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2011
Ok, picked up a powerbook g4 a1106 a month ago bought some new parts for it and went to boot her up.

Now I had a spare dmg image of leopard on an external hard drive I was going to try since I lost or misplaced the original disk somewhere.

I boot it up and nothing happens. Just a white screen. So i tried the apple option O F at start up and it wont go into Open firmware.

It just keeps giving me a white screen. I even tried resetting the PRAM.

Please help me get this puppy working.

Thanks

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
When you say you had a spare DMG, do you mean just the DMG file?
You can't restore from a DMG. You have to restore the DMG to a hard drive via disk utility or similar, then boot off of that image.

exilekiller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2011
ok if i was to get that bootable image would it just come up?

I cant even get into open firmware, thats my main problem I think

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
ok if i was to get that bootable image would it just come up?

I cant even get into open firmware, thats my main problem I think

Once youve created an install DVD, hold C and it should "just come up" as long as the Mac is ok inside (This is the first step to a diagnosis if it is a hardware fault, which I doubt since its likely just the software thats missing).

exilekiller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2011
Once youve created an install DVD, hold C and it should "just come up" as long as the Mac is ok inside (This is the first step to a diagnosis if it is a hardware fault, which I doubt since its likely just the software thats missing).

I hope, if theres no software it is normal for it just be a white screen and no open firmware?

Last edited:

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
I hope, if theres no software it is normal for it just be a white screen and no open firmware?

No, Its normal to go to a question mark on a grey screen, however what youre describing could also be achieved through a bodged OS X installation (At least the white screen) - although Open Firmwares background is white... so it may be half entering that instead, hence the need to get an OS X disc and try and get OS X working as it will show us where its bust/if its even working at all.

exilekiller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2011
alright, a friend is shipping me his disk of leopard, guess I will see and revive this thread in a few days

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.