Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What size iPhone is most appropriate?

• 16GB

Votes: 52 32.7%
  • 32GB

Votes: 107 67.3%

• Total voters

brando123b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
I'm leery that this has not been debated, that being said I had no real luck finding the terms "16GB" or "32GB" in search.

I'm sure many of the new Verizon iPhone owners are going to be pondering this very question.

I plan to do quite a bit of gaming, some music, not sure about movies. 16GB sounds like a decent amount, but the last thing I want is to be in a situation where I am deleting apps to make room for new ones.

So...consensus?:apple:

Photics

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2011
I'm glad I got the 16 GB.

I still have 11.5 available... that's after putting apps and music on the device.

Some games can be a bit large, like Spider-Man: Total Mayhem... but other apps can be quite tiny, as there's the 20 MB over-the-air download limit.

TV shows and movies can take up a lot of space, but I don't bother with that stuff. I just use Netflix if I want to watch a movie. If you're going with Verizon, and there's an unlimited data plan, then it might not be as important to store video content locally.

THE dAY

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2010
SFV California
yes

get the 32GB

720p video size is no joke
+1, One of the main reasons to get the 32GB.

An hour of video recording will set you back 4.5GB easily.

FYI:
With the 16GB you actually get: ~14GB
WIth the 32GB you actually get: ~29GB

Better to have the extra space than none at all.

Pomeless

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
I'm going with the 32GB I know alot of people have told me that they have their iPod for music not their phone. But I love having the music whenever and wherever I want. I don't always have my iPod but I will always have my iPhone. Besides I may just be tempted to use that HD video.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
A couple of questions to ask:
How much music do you want to put on?
How much video are you going to transfer?
How big are your apps?

I have a small fraction of my music collection on there. The only reason I have 7GB free is because I've been judicious about what I put on my phone. If I had more space, I'd be using it posthaste.

applefan7

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2011
I would go with the 32GB because you never know when you need extra space. It's better to pay more and then you will hardly think about the space. The 16GB will be quickly filled up. :)

youknome

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
I currently have the 16GB 3GS which I hugely regret, I've got a little space left. So when I do upgrade to the forthcoming iPhone, I'm definitely going for the higher capacity one. 32GB or so.

JonathanK81

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2006
I was always upset with myself for getting the 32GB iPhone 4. I kept thinking I spent an extra $100 for no reason. I mean it's not the money, $100 won't kill me, but I hate to spend $100 when I wouldn't use the extra space. However, I've since gone way past 14GB (and this is just with music.) I also have a ton of apps, some books, and a few HD movies. I'm very glad I bought the 32GB. What swayed me in the beginning is what some have said here: It's better to be safe than sorry. If you can afford the extra $100, it's worth it.

Fugue

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2011
I will go with the 16GB. With applications like Pandora and Rdio having a large music library is getting less and less mandatory. Netflix streaming also solves some issues with video storage (granted, it is not the same quality and only works whilst on 3G or Wifi). Applications are generally between 1 - 20mb as well, not taking into consideration Infinity Blade of course.

That been said, if you play a lot of games, do not have a steady 3G or Wifi connection, or prefer to have a colossal collection of songs that you rarely ever listen to, the 32GB is for you.

MarximusMG

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2009
Denver
I'd go with the 32 GB. Though I haven't owned an iPhone yet, I can tell you that I easily filled my 32 GB iPod Touch. When I get my iPhone, I will definitely be taking many more videos than on my iPod, and so I don't want to be feeling cramped at all as far as space is considered.

Rodvette

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2011
Im going balls out 32gb lol.

But in all seriousness I think with 32gb you will yourself not having to ponder about not having enough memory if you are using it mainly for music/apps. If you are a big time movie junkie.....well then you probably would need a 64 gb iphone which doesn't exist.......yet?:D

bad03xtreme

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
Northern, VA
I was contemplating this exact thing and I think I am going to go with the 32gb model. I have a 1st gen. iPod Mini and it doesn't hold a charge so I am getting the iPhone as a phone and iPod replacement. I also plan on using the HD video since I have a 2 year old son that always has cute events that need to be taped and shown to the family.

ctbear

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010
You would want as much space as possible...especially when games are now 1.x GB each...

lanthom

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2011
I"ll be getting a 32GB. I've got about 11 GB worth of music and apps on my iPod Touch but my wife has already said that if I get me an iPhone the Touch becomes hers so I'm going to be getting the iPhone as a replacement for both my touch and my Blackberry Storm. I figured by the time I do any video or pictures the other 3 GB of a 16 GB iPhone would be gone.

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
I was considering this when I got my iPhone. When I come to buy the 16GB was out of stock so my choice became easy.

So glad I did get the 32GB as I've got 12GB left and it's nice not having to worry about the space.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
32 for sure. As long as I've had an iPhone I've always gotten the higher capacity, it's just a good idea, because your music/movie/app collection will always continue to grow but there's no way to expand the memory on your phone.

That being said, if you're going to stream all your music and movies (which I don't), then you might be able to get by on 16. But as others have said, an hour of HD video is 4GB+ and graphics intensive apps can easily be a few hundred MBs, if not over a GB (the two I have, BFBC2 and NFS: Hot Pursuit are 250 and 350, respectively). Also GPS apps tend to be 1GB+ as well.

Tony Stark

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2011
Parts Unknown
I'm going with the 16 GB as that is what size iPad I have and I haven't even come close to filling it and I have tons of apps, pics, books, magazines, comics, and some music...you only need 32 if you're putting movies, etc. on there...which I wouldn't recommend...

Onthelo

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2011
Santa Clara - Bay Area
IMO... I am purchasing the 32gb. I have the 16gb iPad and it's already full. My music alone in iTunes pulls almost 15gb..so I have only selected certain albums to put on my iPad. I have a few movies on there which take anywhere from 1.5 to 4ish gb..also music videos, books, photos and apps. I want to have all my music on my iPhone so I can use it in the car when I don't have my iPad. If you can get the promo price on the iPhone I would go 32gb can't go wrong with the extra space for only 100. :)

Rooftop voter

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2010
Unless you have a huge music collection, or plan on taking lots if pics and videos, you would be fine with 16, although if you could get the 32 you would probably be better off. I like not really having to worry about how much space I have.

mm1250

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2007
I HAVE THE 16GB model.

80 apps (Navigon itself takes 2GB)
527 songs
2 movies
421 photos

still have 4GB space left. . don't see why people need 32GB. . I never had to worry about space on mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.