Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theNEOone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
NYC
I just got an email from Mozy saying that they were getting rid of their unlimited storage plan and bumping their prices. This isn't the service I signed up for, so I am canceling Mozy and getting another service...the first one that I found was Carbonite, but would like to know if anyone has any other suggestions....

Thanks.

=|

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I just got an email from Mozy saying that they were getting rid of their unlimited storage plan and bumping their prices. This isn't the service I signed up for, so I am canceling Mozy and getting another service...the first one that I found was Carbonite, but would like to know if anyone has any other suggestions....

Thanks.

=|

Woa, I didn't see that one yet. I'll leave too which sucks because I just spent months backing up roughly 400 gigs.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Woa, I didn't see that one yet. I'll leave too which sucks because I just spent months backing up roughly 400 gigs.

Same here, I was upset when I got that e-mail. I think the days of unlimited backups are over though. I'm sure Carbonite will follow suit.

theNEOone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
NYC
Same here, I was upset when I got that e-mail. I think the days of unlimited backups are over though. I'm sure Carbonite will follow suit.

Why? Storage space keeps getting cheaper and cheaper. There's no reason to charge more. Someone smart enough will come up with a business plan that can provide what we want (unlimited storage at an awesome price) while still turning a profit. That company will win in the marketplace while these other clowns disappear. Good riddance.

=|

ortuno2k

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2005
Hollywood, FL
I am also a Mozy user, and was quite shocked when I read the email this afternoon.
I'll be canceling my subscription soon, since I'm in a month-to-month model, and my monthly payment would skyrocket!
I can deal with a slight price increase, or even an OPTION to give users unlimited space, but no... instead, they start with a 50 GB plan and rise the price.
Now, I understand about the bandwidth costs, limits and caps... I've been managing my usage for the past few months to avoid going over the limit with Comcast (250 GB, S FL)

It's true that we are backing up more and more, and files are growing in size, but hard drives and Internet pipes have also been adjusted to somewhat compensate for that... Storage is extremely cheap these days. The "storage cost" line isn't such a good reason.

Oh well, I'll be canceling my plan soon, and continue to back-up to an external hard drive while I find another unlimited and well-priced off-site (cloud) back-up solution.

skp574

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2005
greenwich.london.uk
One word: Crashplan. They are currently signing up Mozy users with a 15% discount until 15th February.

I used to be a Mozy user a couple of years ago and found the service terribly slow to upload. I moved to CP about 18 months ago and haven't looked back. I've successfully uploaded over 300GB to their servers and not had a problem.

CP supports Mac, Windows and *nix so you've got all bases pretty much covered for backing up.

Last edited:

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
One word: Crashplan. They are currently signing up Mozy users with a 15% discount until 15th February.

I used to be a Mozy user a couple of years ago and found the service terribly slow to upload. I moved to CP about 18 months ago and haven't looked back. I've successfully uploaded over 300GB to their servers and not had a problem.

CP supports Mac, Windows and *nix so you've got all bases pretty much covered for backing up.
Does Crashplan do TRUE unlimited backup? I have close to 1TB and tried both Mozzy and Carbonite. Both started out fast but after "seeing" how much data I had they both throttled back to about a GB a day making a complete backup all but impossible. So I'm sure Mozzy and Carbonite have an unwritten policy that if a backup is over a certain size they just go so slooow you won't sign up.

chriskzoo

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2005
That email pissed me off as well.

Carbonite is still offering unlimited so I think I'm going to sign up for a 3-year plan there and get locked in while I can. If 10% of users are "power users" eating up massive amounts of storage, focus on those customers - I can't see where any normal user backing up what is important (videos, pics) wouldn't use up at least 50-100GB of data.

As much as A I wasn't a fan of AT&T lowering their data plans, at least they got it right in offering a CHEAPER lower plan and throttling the "premier" plan to the point where 95% of all users would not see a change.

Mozy is hitting everybody.

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
I personally haven't used Carbonite but my dad uses it. He says its quite good for the price its offered..

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Does Crashplan do TRUE unlimited backup? I have close to 1TB and tried both Mozzy and Carbonite. Both started out fast but after "seeing" how much data I had they both throttled back to about a GB a day making a complete backup all but impossible. So I'm sure Mozzy and Carbonite have an unwritten policy that if a backup is over a certain size they just go so slooow you won't sign up.

Backblaze doesn't throttle like Mozy and Carbonite both do. I have more data than you, and it's been uploading at 700 KB/s for a month. Very unlike Mozy and Carbonite.

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Carbonite is still offering unlimited so I think I'm going to sign up for a 3-year plan there and get locked in while I can.

If you have more than 300 GB of data, please don't do this. Carbonite throttles you severely over 200 GB data uploaded. You'll be uploading as fast as your connection allows, then when you hit 200 GB or so, they throttle you so your upload speed is 2 KB/s. Makes the "unlimited" storage space useless.

chriskzoo

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2005
If you have more than 300 GB of data, please don't do this. Carbonite throttles you severely over 200 GB data uploaded. You'll be uploading as fast as your connection allows, then when you hit 200 GB or so, they throttle you so your upload speed is 2 KB/s. Makes the "unlimited" storage space useless.

Thanks, I'm testing out BackBlaze right now. Any thoughts on that vs. CrashPlan?

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
Also got that crap e-mail and I will not be renewing my account. I think they are going to lose a lot of business.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I just trying to figure out how to get rid of the red spot on mosy to only see my 190 or more gigs of backup are gone. it shows 402k backed up. my wife's account is fine. I know it was not me I have not changed anything. but everything is deselected. I was wondering why my backup cost was lower then expected with the rate hike.

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Thanks, I'm testing out BackBlaze right now. Any thoughts on that vs. CrashPlan?

Crashplan looks pretty cool, but its unlimited space seems to be yearly only. With Backblaze, I liked that I could drop $5 and test their service. I'm not committing to anything yearly until I know it's solid.

blueruck

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2008
Mozy user since 2007 - I had 1 year on my Mozy package when I got the letter.

Canceled my account received a full refund to my cc, and signed up with Crash Plan (Family plan for 4 years of unlimited). Cost my Mozy refund amount plus $30.

Thanks Mozy I scored a much better deal for my 4 computers and 400GB of backup data.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Crashplan looks pretty cool, but its unlimited space seems to be yearly only. With Backblaze, I liked that I could drop $5 and test their service. I'm not committing to anything yearly until I know it's solid.

I pay monthly for crashplan and it's unlimited - what made you think unlimited space is yearly only? I've got the Crashplan+ Family unlimited and pay $12 a month to backup 5 machines - seems like a bargain to me :)

Yes I read that...thats why I was asking...
For free, Crashplan will backup to external disk or another computer: You pay if you want to backup to their servers

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
I pay monthly for crashplan and it's unlimited - what made you think unlimited space is yearly only? I've got the Crashplan+ Family unlimited and pay $12 a month to backup 5 machines - seems like a bargain to me :)

For free, Crashplan will backup to external disk or another computer: You pay if you want to backup to their servers

Thank you, seems dumb to use the free when you have time machine :)

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
Just cancelled my account. So not worth it and to be honest they seem to be threatening folks. I logged into my account and was met with a warning stating that my files would be deleted. That was the last straw... I have enough storage space to backup locally for now and will look at some of the other options.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Thank you, seems dumb to use the free when you have time machine :)

With the free option you can theoretically back up to a friend's computer (and vice versa) and have "offsite" storage of your backup....that's different than a time machine backup. The whole point of these services IMO is to have offsite storage for disaster recovery of your files in case of a fire or flood or whatever...not because your hard drive crashed.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Why not go with a portable external drive. You back up your computer with it and take it offsite. You have a one time cost and the backing up/restoring is much quicker.

I use two sets of external disks. One that I keep in my home office where I back up regularly, and then monthly or so take my portable drive and back up. That way if something happens to my office, fire/theft/etc I have my data.

I think the cost of online services would exceed the cost of external drives plus recovering from a problem would be much quicker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.