Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amnost

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2010
United States
Just bought an 11.6 inch MacBook Air. Today I started having an issue with the display.

On the first day, when I lift the screen of the computer it comes on like it's supposed to (instant-on). But, as of today, when I lift the display the screen does not come on. Sometimes I have to restart using the power button to get the display back on. Other times I have to push a button on the keyboard, which makes a slight buzzing noise somewhere, and then it comes on after a couple seconds. Sometimes pushing a keyboard button doesn't work at all. Maybe this is related to the screen problems they've been having, because the display did flicker one time when I opened the computer, and then went back off. But, I thought that was already fixed in the most recent software update.

Any help? :(

Last edited:

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
It's been a hit or miss for me too, even after the Software Update. Luckily, it hasn't happened all that often (come to think of it, I haven't experienced it at all in the last couple weeks).

For me, it appears that the backlight does not come on. I simply close the Air, wait a few seconds, then reopen and it usually does the trick.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Had this happen the first time today. It was the backlight that didn't turn on. I could still barely see the screen. Closed and reopened and it was fine. Sounds like a software and not a hardware issue.

It's been a hit or miss for me too, even after the Software Update. Luckily, it hasn't happened all that often (come to think of it, I haven't experienced it at all in the last couple weeks).

For me, it appears that the backlight does not come on. I simply close the Air, wait a few seconds, then reopen and it usually does the trick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.