Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

naujoks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
London, UK
Just installed it on my MBA 11" and it's running really well at the native resolution with High details.

I'm so impressed with this machine! It's really unbelievable that such an oh so "underpowered" machine can do all these things.

I HEART MBA!

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
Very interesting. Another major show of how well the 320M performs on games. Though, to be fair, the 11" Air is technically in the *more powerful* list of ulta-portables. That is, ones that actually *count* as ultra portables. (That alienware brick doesn't count)

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
The 320m really carries this thing. I was playing CIV 5 for the afternoon yesterday on my 1.4/4GB and it was quite smooth and responsive.

Of course, the fans run at high speed the entire time which is annoying but expected given it's size.

naujoks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
London, UK
The 320m really carries this thing. I was playing CIV 5 for the afternoon yesterday on my 1.4/4GB and it was quite smooth and responsive.

Of course, the fans run at high speed the entire time which is annoying but expected given it's size.

... but once you plug your earphones in, which is really what you want to do when playing a horror first person shooter, then you can't hear the fans any more! :)

chris-013

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2011
Someone with the 11" or 13" can make a video and post it on youtube ?
Thanks !

Edit : If you can use fraps to see the FPS !

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
New York
Well, the 11" has a smaller resolution, so the GPU goes farther in that system natively than it would in a 13". Keep in mind todays games are generally made for the Xbox 360 and PS3, both having now 6+ year old GPU technology, so it's no surprise that the 320m can handle these games fairly well.

naujoks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
London, UK
Well, the 11" has a smaller resolution, so the GPU goes farther in that system natively than it would in a 13". Keep in mind todays games are generally made for the Xbox 360 and PS3, both having now 6+ year old GPU technology, so it's no surprise that the 320m can handle these games fairly well.

Very true.
And it shows what lamentable state PC games are in at moment.
Graphically no improvement since Crysis (3 years old) because everything has to run on consoles as well.

omni

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
Just installed it on my MBA 11" and it's running really well at the native resolution with High details.

I'm so impressed with this machine! It's really unbelievable that such an oh so "underpowered" machine can do all these things.

I HEART MBA!

Are you using a wired 360 controller?

and umm...where did you get it? searched app store, steam and amazon and didn't see any mention of it.

Last edited:

St. G

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2010
Are the mouse controls better in DS2 than the first one? I bought the first one on Steam during the sale a week or so ago, in order to try it on the MBA (played it on PS3 first go around) and while the MBA was up to the task, I found the port to have a really weird feel to the mouse controls.

chris-013

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2011
Ye the first one got a bug with the mouse controls if you don't disable v-sync in the option !
Dead Space 2 don't have this problem.

Last edited:

St. G

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2010
Disabling Vsync is pretty much the first thing I do with any game, and I don't turn it back on unless I see screen tearing (and the framerate is reliably high). The controls still felt weird.

St. G

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2010
I'd be surprised. I think what they did was to treat mouse movement the same way they treated right analog-stick movement, which is to say, the further you move in a given direction, the faster your view changes. Most games have a linear response for mouse look (at a given sensitivity), rather than this more logorithmic approach. It's not so much a bug as just a really bad decision.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Did this come out for Mac as well? It seems like it did but I can't find it anywhere.

I'm probably gonna install windows, but the longer I can hold off the better, damn small SSD!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Very true.
And it shows what lamentable state PC games are in at moment.
Graphically no improvement since Crysis (3 years old) because everything has to run on consoles as well.

So your criticism over the lamentable state of pc gaming, and yet the oxymoron of such stands in direct opposition to those views you make in your first post...

I HEART MBA!

??????

naujoks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
London, UK
So your criticism over the lamentable state of pc gaming, and yet the oxymoron of such stands in direct opposition to those views you make in your first post...

??????

Looks like I need to explain myself:

I wish my powerful desktop PC would be used to its full potential by current games.

I'm happy when my laptop can play 2 to 3 year old games alright. I would never demand or expect a laptop to play current games at full details. The fact that this is possible at the moment is an added bonus, but I'd really like graphics to move forward.

chris-013

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2011
I tried to run Dead Space 2 on my new MBA ultimate 13" with Parallels Desktop and the game runs great !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.