Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamrawr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
New Jersey
hey guys.

main concern in title. using an iphone 4 silicone case i got from case-mate. it got a little loose, making the iphone too short for the case. the sides fit fine. i can slide the iphone vertically quite a few millimeters (not over 5) within the case. it's annoying cuz i gotta press a little harder to get the part of the case that covers the sleep/wake button to actuallty press the button and the rear camera is tucked in the case a bit until i push the phone upwards within the case :(

i700plus

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2010
I heard on several other forums that putting the case in the freezer for a couple hours will shrink it. I doubt this would be a permanant solution though due to it warming right back up. Heating it up would just make it more flexable and looser.

Austin M.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2010
Washington
hey guys.

main concern in title. using an iphone 4 silicone case i got from case-mate. it got a little loose, making the iphone too short for the case. the sides fit fine. i can slide the iphone vertically quite a few millimeters (not over 5) within the case. it's annoying cuz i gotta press a little harder to get the part of the case that covers the sleep/wake button to actuallty press the button and the rear camera is tucked in the case a bit until i push the phone upwards within the case :(

What I would do is put a SGP skin guard or something on the back to make it tighter. Trust me, when the back is tighter, the sides, top and bottom squeeze up tight. Sorry, that sounds kinda weird, haha. :p

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Yeah I read here of several people placing their Apple Bumpers in boiling water to make them fit tighter on the iPhone with success. I've never tried it myself, but from what I've read, it seems like a possible solution.

crowsNest

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
I have the same problem with my case. I am going to boil it tonight, remove with tongs, and then quickly put the case around the phone to shape it correctly. This is how mouth guards are done around our teeth, so I can only assume it will work the same.

I'll be back with results.

iamrawr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
New Jersey
I have the same problem with my case. I am going to boil it tonight, remove with tongs, and then quickly put the case around the phone to shape it correctly. This is how mouth guards are done around our teeth, so I can only assume it will work the same.

I'll be back with results.

silicon? how'd it go?

guccigucci88

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2010
Just boil some hot water, then take it off the stove and throw the silicone case in there for a few minutes. Take it out (dry it first obviously) and try it on, if still loose repeat until it works. Like someone said before, similar to rugby or hockey mouthgaurds you do the same thing to soften and mold them.

jasonmanning

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2011
Boiling water will do the trick, or you can use a hairdryer. Whatever you do: UNINSTALL before procedure.

ChinaAzzi

macrumors regular
i am seriously thinking about trying this i just dont have a really cheap case to try with

Good silicone should not stretch but good silicone is very hard to work with especially when making cases. The manufacture resolves this by adding a poor grade silicone so that they can trim the silicone easier. One of the properties of good silicone is that it always come back to the molded shape. That is why silicone is used instead of metal springs under your laptop keyboards. Also silicone can withstand 300 or more degress of heat so I don’t see how heat is going to solve your problem but you can try. As long as you don't put a flame to the silicone it will be ok. :)

kharn121

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2011
Good silicone should not stretch but good silicone is very hard to work with especially when making cases. The manufacture resolves this by adding a poor grade silicone so that they can trim the silicone easier. One of the properties of good silicone is that it always come back to the molded shape. That is why silicone is used instead of metal springs under your laptop keyboards. Also silicone can withstand 300 or more degress of heat so I don’t see how heat is going to solve your problem but you can try. As long as you don't put a flame to the silicone it will be ok. :)

The heat softens the rubber enough to shrink back to its original condition. Works a few times till it wears out.

jb642

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2011
Watch the Apple store to see when they start selling Apple Water-A Cupertino Valley Springwater blend to aid in reducing silicon bumpers to their original form!!!
It will $29 for 8oz but of course you'll need 16oz to do the job properly...

DJC631

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2011
Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Just boil some hot water, then take it off the stove and throw the silicone case in there for a few minutes. Take it out (dry it first obviously) and try it on, if still loose repeat until it works. Like someone said before, similar to rugby or hockey mouthgaurds you do the same thing to soften and mold them.

+1 for Rugby mouth-guards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.