Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BikerAlley

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2011
Shreveport LA
New Imac on the way

ordered iMac 27-inch 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 processor

27-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
4GB memory
1TB hard drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Radeon HD 5670 graphics with 512MB memory
Built-in iSight camera

what I would like to know is how many of you use Anti-virus?
This is my first one so I'm a real newbie..

Ever pc I ever bought never last me over 3 years before they crap out.
Cost me a bit more but have decided to give a Mac a try.
First thing I read here is I don't need Anti-virus.. Whats up?

So how many of you use it, and who don't?

Nov 28, 2010
located

As there are no viruses for Mac OS X, AV software will only scan for Windows viruses and eat up CPU cycles.
There are some (less than a dozen) active trojans or other malware, but you have to install them yourself to actually make them work.
Mac Virus/Malware Info

If you want to enhance your Mac's security, read Mac Security Suggestions compiled by munkery

Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

I don't know if you are referring to the iMac or AV software, but you will not get an objective number here, as the majority of posters registered here will not post in this thread.

A more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses. (see rule #3 under How do I get help with a hardware or software problem)
To edit your thread title, just click on the
edit.gif
button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

Have you also taken a look at MRoogle, since that question may have been asked several times?

ruvil

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2010
ordered iMac 27-inch 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 processor

27-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
4GB memory
1TB hard drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Radeon HD 5670 graphics with 512MB memory
Built-in iSight camera

Congratulations on your iMac! I just got my high end (quad core) iMac this monday and i completely love it! :D

I do not use an antivirus, yet, but i have been thinking about it. Since most people say that it's okay to be without... i will probably do just that.

BikerAlley

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2011
Shreveport LA
Thanks for the fast reply and the links.
Will have to read it when I have my Mac in front of me.
Sure seems there will be lots to learn for an Old PC guy.
PC is all I have ever used but I have always wanted A Mac,
Just never had the funds.
Its hard to pay $1700 for A Mac when you can get A PC for so Little.
Hope I made the right choice.

ee4life

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010

I've had the 27" iMac for about five months now and I have been very happy with it. I also faced a very similar feeling to yours when I first switched four years ago. The sticker shock will hopefully wear off, and some years down the line you will either have a great secondary computer, an awesome hand-me-down system for a loved one, or a chance to upgrade for a lower price when you sell your current rig for much more than you would get for an equivalent non-Apple PC. The cost may not balance out to be completely even, but I always figure if I was happy with the system then the resulting difference is unimportant. Good luck with your new computer!

DNSDj

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2011
Calgary / Alberta / Canada
congrats ive got the same machine

i use mine for photo editing - im a photographer.

my 1tb is almost all full..
and ive got 2 - 2tb externals.. 1 running my time machine and 1 as another hdd.. lol

love the machine..

at the end of this year i will be doing a full clean up of it.
deleting old work and etc.

jamesdmc

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2007
Cittagazze
I was *this* close (holding my index finger approximately 0.5mm from my thumb) to purchasing a 27" refurb a few weeks ago. The 2007 C2D 24-incher is getting a little slow. But since Applecare has expired on it, I decided to spend $550 in parts instead and crack open the shell to put a SSD/HDD combo in there (removing the CD drive completely). Gonna do it this weekend.

I went to the Apple store last weekend to pick up a copy of Snow Leopard for my upgrade and played around with a 27" iMac before leaving the store. Had serious second thoughts about what I'm going to do this weekend, then shrugged it off.

But congratulations on your iMac. I'm sure you'll enjoy using it. If my upgrade is successful, I should get another 3-4 years of service out of mine.

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
New York

You can get it refurbed for 1430. I would look into returning if no fee and buying refurbed. Same warranty, 260 cheaper.

matt3839

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2011
Mac OS X has a low market share, attributing to the fact that very, very few computer companies write their own operating system and the "Apple Tax" on Apple's products, so very little malware exists for the operating system. Mac users are also more inclined to pay as opposed to pirate compared to Windows users, so script kiddies mostly aim for Windows. Companies like McAfee and Norton offer antivirus programs for OS X, but it's a complete and utter waste of money.

Viruses, spyware, etc. are just a small part of security though, so be sure to properly configure your firewall and to back up your computer regularly with the Time Machine application.

Macs are a low-maintenance investment but still require care. Use your head before clicking, and you'll have a wonderful time with your new computer! :)

meb91

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2010

Congrats on the new iMac! A comparable PC to your iMac would cost about the same if you included the cost of a 27" IPS 2560x1440 resolution display, which alone goes for around $1000 right now. Really your 27" iMac is a $1000 monitor + a $700 computer, which is why the price might seem so high at first. But for what you get it really isn't any more expensive than a PC. So enjoy!

BikerAlley

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2011
Shreveport LA
You can get it refurbed for 1430. I would look into returning if no fee and buying refurbed. Same warranty, 260 cheaper.

It is a refurbed.. cost was $1,439.00
Then I added Apple Care $169.00
They charged me Tax $132.66
Order Total $1,740.66

Not sure if I needed the Apple Care, But since it will be my first one I thought I may be calling them more then normal HA!HA!

But it is what it is :apple:

BikerAlley

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2011
Shreveport LA
Congrats on the new iMac! A comparable PC to your iMac would cost about the same if you included the cost of a 27" IPS 2560x1440 resolution display, which alone goes for around $1000 right now. Really your 27" iMac is a $1000 monitor + a $700 computer, which is why the price might seem so high at first. But for what you get it really isn't any more expensive than a PC. So enjoy!

This is a better way to look at it, In the past I never had to buy a monitor.
The PC I'm using now has two 21 inch wide screen monitors on it now.
Not sure what I will do with them.
I Take that Back!!! Im sure my wife has plans for one of them. LOL

(Santi)

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2011
Sup!

So... It took me a good while trying to decide if I wanted to g PC or Mac for my next purchase. I'm a Graphic Design student / Photographer so Mac should be my default, however money was short so I decided to get a PC. A new XPS 8300 with the new* Sandy Bridge 2600. Why am I telling you this? Well, this morning, I go check my order status, and it was cancelled, did some research and found out all the 2600 i7's we faulty and dell was cancelling orders left and right. I got kind of upset, and took it as a sign that maybe PC's weren't for me, and that spending the extra change would be worth it. haha. This solidified my decision to go Mac, and I just ordered a i7 2.93 27" iMac. So stocked.

:D

Cue "Cool Story, Bro" comments. haha.

Jeevster

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2011
My AT&T bill is $75/month for the iphone, i have the cheapest available of everything, 450 minutes, unltd nights and weekends, 1500 txt messages, no tethering, 2gb data/month max.

Jeez, your phone plans are expensive over the water, i pay £65.00 and i get unlimited minutes / texts and data for my iphone 4 32gb

Agizor

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2011
First post! Received an email on Friday the 4th saying my "RFB IMAC 27"/2.8QC/2X2GB/1TB/5750", aww yeah! Went refurb only becuase it would of cost me slightly more to get the same Mac with an i3, instead of i5.

After reading a lot of first hand encounters with refurb items from Apple on this forum and others, it looked like a semi low-risk investment ;)

First Mac though, needed the know-how for work as I'm a computer tech.

Just wanted to introduce myself and share the excitement! Haha, geeks and their electronics. :D

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I got i3 RFB IMAC 27"/3.20/2X2GB/1TB/512video/

It cost me $1400 and change. Also bought 16gb of ram from newegg.

Awesome! Couple questions...

1.) what date did you order it?

2.) can you put the link for the newegg ram?

I just ordered a 27" myself last night. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.