Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcesilaus264

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2010
Workflow Max

Workflow does look interesting, but I don't like the monthly fee, $15 for a single user ($180/year). If you think of using something for 2 or 3 years, you can buy a lot of other software for $360-$540. Merlin also looks good, but as someone said, pricey at $210. Billings3 is only $49.95 (or less), but I don't know if it will do everything I need. I have multiple projects (with several clients) and each project can take a month or more, with anywhere from 30 to 500 documents generated by me. I basically do everything, so there are no other designers etc. involved. At least there are a lot of repetitive tasks. If anyone has any other suggestions or a favourite for the kind of work I do, I would appreciate that very much, especially if there's just one tool rather than a whole bunch of things to deal with.
Cheers,

johngrese

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2010
Billings / Daylite

I have been using Billings to create estimates, track my time spent on each section of projects, and create/track invoices. It is working pretty well.
In addition, I have downloaded "Daylite" to start to track my projects more closely. It has good task, contact, and business opportunity managers. It also allows you to take your business opportunity / project and export it to billings for time tracking. It is by 'marketcircle' which is the same developer as billings. They seem to integrate nicely. Daylite also has a nice interface. Both of these apps have very useful iphone apps.
Daylite takes a little set-up time and used to, but once everything is running smoothly, it seems like it will be very useful.
The thing that I really like about it so far is the ability to manage my business opportunities. This way, I can remember who i've already contacted, and then take the opportunities and turn them into projects.
Hope this helps.

Link to billings: http://www.marketcircle.com/billings/
Link to Daylite: http://www.marketcircle.com/daylite/

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
what about openproj? (google it)

I'm using OpenProj right now on a short-term project spanning multiple work teams in 3 different countries. It WILL work but it has bugs. If all you need is to create a simple workplan, the bugs are manageable. But you will find the reporting features via the 'free' version to be woefully inadequate and buggy as well.

I'm not sure Serena is on top of things....half the time I try to access their Open Proj website for the more robust demonstration version, it hangs or bombs entirely.

Not my recommendation for professional, billable work. But its liveable as a small project planner.

I'm toying with buying Merlin. I still use MS Project in Parallels for the most part (only reason to really have Windows running on my Mac really...that and Visio). But if Merlin works as advertised, I may jump entirely to OSX apps for my business.

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
I'm using OpenProj right now on a short-term project spanning multiple work teams in 3 different countries. It WILL work but it has bugs. If all you need is to create a simple workplan, the bugs are manageable. But you will find the reporting features via the 'free' version to be woefully inadequate and buggy as well.

I'm not sure Serena is on top of things....half the time I try to access their Open Proj website for the more robust demonstration version, it hangs or bombs entirely.

Not my recommendation for professional, billable work. But its liveable as a small project planner.

I'm toying with buying Merlin. I still use MS Project in Parallels for the most part (only reason to really have Windows running on my Mac really...that and Visio). But if Merlin works as advertised, I may jump entirely to OSX apps for my business.

If you're planning on buying things, please have a look at omniplan. I have never used it, but I'm a big fan of OmniGraffle. And their support and update schedule is good.
(about freeware: I take it you have already looked at the ganttproject? I used it some time ago. It was slow then, but perhaps things have changed)

sugardrum

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2010
ClockingIT

Not sure if it's been mentioned here yet but I use clockingIT to keep track of the various web design projects I work on. It's a free web based app that includes multiple clients, projects, tasks and todo lists.

http://www.clockingit.com/

I also use Billings for invoicing and Things to keep track of minor todos.

netbeans

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2010
iTaskX

I'm using iTaskX. Great app. Tried using Merlin, OpenProj, and OmniPlan. After a while, I fallback to itaskX.

ProjectManager

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2010
Project management software Fengoffice

Why a Project Manager choose Feng Office

The mission of Feng Office is “provide the best virtual office”. Feng Office is the main competitor of Google Apps. This article describes the advantages Feng Office has over Google Apps and other alternatives like Harvest or FreshBooks for hackers and other IT freelancers.

What are we doing in an IT office ? Mainly:

* tracking the time spent by hackers
* document management
* calendar management
* project management software
* granular access management

Time tracking

Google Apps has nothing cool for time tracking.

FreshBooks allows time tracking, but the only way to show it to the client is to make a detailed invoice.

If you just want to report 7 hours per day and bill monthly, Feng Office is the only solution.

In addition, Feng Office allows to create beautiful and detailed time reports which can be converted into bills.

Document management

Back before OpenOffice 3, Google Documents was the most performant document editor.

Nowadays, Google Documents is bloated, slow, and quite buggy. On the other hand, Open Office 3 starts in a matter of seconds on a common cheap netbook.

One will conclude that the best online document manager knows how to manage versions and permissions for documents edited with Open Office 3. And that’s exactly what Feng Office does.

Instead of sending documents versions and comments by email, Feng Office allows to track it all and manage locks and conflict.

I think you should try it. :apple:

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
I think you should try it. :apple:

I checked out the video tour and demo on the website. It looks cool, but I have a question about time tracking. It looks like it is still dependent upon the user to actually start, stop and manage their time logs. Is that the case? The solution that I'm really after is for a time log to be automatically generated depending on the tasks being performed and removing the user from having to remember to start/stop and switch clients. RescueTime – as far as I've seen – comes the closest to doing that so far.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
If you're planning on buying things, please have a look at omniplan. I have never used it, but I'm a big fan of OmniGraffle. And their support and update schedule is good.
(about freeware: I take it you have already looked at the ganttproject? I used it some time ago. It was slow then, but perhaps things have changed)

I was using ganttproject to track one of my larger projects. It worked pretty well. I did very basic reporting with it and I put it on a computer that everyone had access to so everyone who needed to could add or subtract from the time line etc. It worked very well.

fuzzybear2

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2011
I am looking for somthing to do my costings then turn it into a quote then email to client and then do the project managment through to invoicing.I am kitchen & bathroom installer I design sell & install as well as contract work for another studio who I also project manage their jobs as well.
Not asking for much I know:D
and it all needs to syn well with ical and be easy to use, I like the look of Daylite + billings or bento 3 so far has any one got any better sugestions?

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
Microsoft Project 2010.

Now I realize that not everybody at MacRumors is working on a Mac, but ...

Microsoft Project 2010 - Operating system: Windows XP with Service Pack (SP) 3 (32-bit), Windows Vista with SP1, Windows Server 2003 SP2 and MSXML 6.0 (32 bit Office only), Windows Server 2008 or later (32-bit or 64-bit), Windows 7 operating systems.

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
Definitely check out Tom's Planner as well.

http://www.tomsplanner.com/

I own and have used OmniPlan, but don't use a fraction of the features (resource scheduling, etc) so Tom's Planner might work well for you.

I also use Basecamp with my team which works well for collaboration with others.

PiotrPM

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2011
Hello!

For someone who needs a complicated project management software with Gantt charts support etc there is for example dotproject.net for free. For smaller project you can try, also for free (basic plan), projectino.com, what is more for online collaboration, personal project as well as for less complicated project in your company. Both softwares are SaaS, so you can use them with many people,wherever you want - only what you need is internet access.
I hope this info will be helpful for you.

strixstrigoi

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2011
Hi, I advise eTaskamn.com. It's convenient in term of instruction and place. I mean it's a FREE web-based and has non-complicated functionality. Due to my job, I rarely stay in the office so when I need to assign a project or task to my subordinate, I access this site wherever I am. You can try it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.