Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 13, 2010
Can you give me some feed back? Do you miss your iPad at all? Or MBA just rocks?

I am thinking about selling my iPad and just buy MBA 11.6.

Good or bad idea?

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Can you give me some feed back? Do you miss your iPad at all? Or MBA just rocks?

I am thinking about selling my iPad and just buy MBA 11.6.

Good or bad idea?

Well, I'm 15 and just recently sold my iPad so that in about 2 months, I'll have enough saved up to buy myself a MacBook Air 13.3" (I also sold it because the iPad 2 is said to be announced in the coming weeks and if I were to sell my iPad after the iPad 2 were announced, I was afraid people wouldn't buy it after they found out that the iPad 2 was going to be released in the coming months), and while I do miss my iPad, I just keep thinking to myself "I know that in the end, I'll know I've had made the right decision in selling the iPad."

So yeah, I think you should sell it. I sold mine on Craigslist for $400 which is pretty good, I think.

Hope I was of some help. :)

Jman14

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I feel that the MBA 11" seems to be like an iPad that operates on OSX, rather than iOS. I personally think if you can afford it, the MBA is much more "useable" than the iPad. To each his own though..

iCheddar

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2007
South Dakota
I ditched my iPad about a month ago, and picked up an 11" Air a few weeks ago.

I've been very impressed with my Air so far, it's light, it's powerful, and gets great battery life (around 4.5 hours). While I really loved my iPad, the Air is better in my opinion. It's amazing how refreshing it is to have a full fledged machine when I'm out and about.

I do miss the form factor of the iPad and its battery life of FOREVER, but having had both, I'd much rather have the Air with me every day. The iPad is a great machine, but I never felt like I could get too much accomplished on it, I always found myself saying "I'll just do that when I get home", but now that I've got the Air, I just do things on it.

The air is good enough that I'm honestly considering ditching my desktop (a quad core hackintosh) and moving only to using the Air.

Don't hesitate for a moment, sell your iPad and pick up an Air.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I'll be the devil's advocate on this one.

I had been planning on replacing my old Core Duo MacBook Pro with a new MacBook Air. I had already passed my MBP on to my wife, and had been using her Core Duo MacBook as my primary portable while I worked on selling my PC desktop to buy the Air.

A co-worker had expressed interest in buying my desktop, but needed to save up more money first. He then won an iPad. I made the mistake of mentioning these two facts to my wife in near-proximity, and her response was "Oh, really?" Needless to say, I promptly sold him the computer and got the iPad as partial payment. (Still shrink-wrapped.) If my wife wants an iPad, so be it, I can always save up a little more, sell something else, to buy the MacBook Air.

Well, in the two weeks since then, my wife's interest in the iPad has waned, and I have found that, especially when used with my Apple Bluetooth keyboard, I nearly never need the full-blown MacBook. So I bought myself the ZaggMate keyboard case, and have forgotten about the MacBook Air. Smaller, lighter, does 99% of what I need to do on the go. I'll take the money I had been saving for the Air and get a new desktop sooner. (I'm waiting for the update to the Mac mini, then, hopefully they'll have a quad-core model as an option, and I'll get the mini server to be my desktop.)

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
I did. I've owned an iPad three different times, and each time it just doesn't cut it. My 11 MBA is awesome, it honestly doesn't lack anything, and I even got the base model. It is exponentially more useful than any iPad.

atr

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2009
I kind of did. I had a MacBook Pro and a 3G iPad. I loved them both. The MBP stayed at home (use a PC at work) and the iPad plus bluetooth keyboard went to work with me. I actually used the iPad to do at least 90% of my work (task management, documents, spreadsheets, research, project management...) I was very happy with it with one exception. Most of the apps that I used on my iPad were great (Daylite, Devonthink, Microsoft Office, Pages, Numbers, etc.) but were the companion apps to the more powerful full application on my MBP. I would sync everything when I got home at night and then would spend 30 minutes or so on my MBP finishing everything that the iPad apps couldn't do.

I have taken up photography as a hobby and put Aperture on my MBP to work with but it runs a little slow and decided to upgrade to a new iMac for a larger screen and faster processor. At the same time I decided that a MacBook Air would work better for me at work so I wouldn't have to do the 30 minutes or so every evening to finish things up.

So, I sold my MBP and purchased an 11" MBA. I gave my 3G iPad to my wife who now loves it - she had a wifi iPad but NEVER used it. She gave her iPad to me and I use it as a book reader and that's about it. I'm saving up for the iMac.

I haven't looked back. The MBA is perfect for work. Portable, fast, powerful. I saved myself the 30 minutes every evening finishing work stuff, and now I spend that time doing fun stuff on my MBA (never seem to put it down). I still think the iPad is a great tool and really fun to use, but since work was my primary use the MBA just does it better. I miss the touch screen though.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

I did...and I was glad I did it too, much more useful. Then I returned the air and got a macbook pro and that was an even better decision. If you want portability at the cost of function iPad is king. If you want function at the cost of portability (compared to the ipad anyway) macbook pro is best. The air falls somewhere in between as a crappier laptop than the pro and a crappier portable computing device than the ipad. imo if you need a computer to move around with you the ipad is the best, if you need a computer to do work the macbook pro is the best and if you need a computer to say you have the newest thing the air is the best until the new macbook pros come out then everyone will complain the air sucks

Hoxer

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2011
Denmark
The only thing the MacBook Pro wins in is the CPU and thats it. The MBA has a better harddrive, which is much faster than the one in the MBP. Plus the much better screen. The MBA doesen't suck at all it's a very fast computer and portable one too, which feels much faster than the MBP. So until the new MBP's will be released the MBA is more than superior compared to the MBP in my world. The iPad is in a league of its own, and I don't think you can compare it with a full Mac... at all. If you need to make documents of some sort the iPad won't cut it. The MBA and the MBP are good in both their ways and I don't think none of them suck.

The only thing is the price both the MBA and MBP are overpriced. If you cry about the price and you want a computer with very high specs then spend your money on a darn PC with windows ffs. When you buy a computer from Apple you also buy great quality, and the brand aswell. 30% of the price you pay for and Apple product is for the brand alone...

You can compare cars aswell. Take Mercedes-Benz they cost alot, but again you get a brand full of prestige and a high quality car. If you buy a car from an American brand it may be much cheaper, but it's a POS compared to Mercedes... (no offence)

Last edited:

xxRONNIExx

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
California
I just sold my 64GB iPad on ebay last week. Added a few more dollars and ordered a MBA yesterday. I loved my iPad but couldnt get much work done on it. I will miss the games i have on there I'll just have to play them on my iPhone..

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I've seen a bunch of similar threads over the past few months. Pretty clear that to a subset of us the iPad is a fun toy but not much more than that. I haven't sold my iPad, but I've given it over to my significant other who uses it for movies, TV, games, etc. The iPad just doesn't have much a place in my world of iMac, MBA and iPhone.

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
I sold my iPad to buy my 13in MBA. Don't regret it at all. The iPad is a great device, fun to use and play on, but it ultimately is a consumption device. As a student I just found it too annoying to get work done on. I loved my iPad for presentations though, it really did well at running Keynote presentations.

The MBA really isn't all that different in portability, usability, and battery life. You gain the benefits of OS X verse iOS. It is really the way to go unless you are just doing incredibly basic things.

If I could afford it I'd still have a iPad for using around the house while watching TV, but I can't afford that right now. Between only being able to have one the MBA is a obvious/easy choice.

Jman14

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2008
I didn't expect this many people to sell iPads for the MBA. I just might sell my iPad (I hardly use it) if this many people have and not regretted it.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
The only thing the MacBook Pro wins in is the CPU and thats it. The MBA has a better harddrive, which is much faster than the one in the MBP. Plus the much better screen. The MBA doesen't suck at all it's a very fast computer and portable one too, which feels much faster than the MBP. So until the new MBP's will be released the MBA is more than superior compared to the MBP in my world. The iPad is in a league of its own, and I don't think you can compare it with a full Mac... at all. If you need to make documents of some sort the iPad won't cut it. The MBA and the MBP are good in both their ways and I don't think none of them suck.

To be fair the Mbp is upgradeable. I just put in a 120gb ssd vertex 2 and 8gb ram for a total of $270. Only thing I wish I had was the air's screen resolution although the color gamut of the Air is not as good as the Pro's 13 or 15". And thin and light :)

Last edited:

mattpreston11

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2007
Had the 16gb Wifi, sold for £400, bought mba for £720ish.

Don't regret my decision one bit. MBA suits my needs, superb bit of kit.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

The only thing is the price both the MBA and MBP are overpriced. If you cry about the price and you want a computer with very high specs then spend your money on a darn PC with windows ffs. When you buy a computer from Apple you also buy great quality, and the brand aswell. 30% of the price you pay for and Apple product is for the brand alone...

You can compare cars aswell. Take Mercedes-Benz they cost alot, but again you get a brand full of prestige and a high quality car. If you buy a car from an American brand it may be much cheaper, but it's a POS compared to Mercedes... (no offence)

macbook pro has

better cpu
more base ram, more upgradable ram, user upgradable ram
more disk storage space in the base and more expandability of storage space if you want to replace the HDD
superdrive
firewire
ethernet
longer battery life
better screen (other than lower resolution which I prefer having owned both, but regardless it looks better to me from a color standpoint)
swapable HDD for SSD or bigger HDD with ease
backlit keyboard
ambient light sensor
kensington lock hole (if you care about that)
included cleaning cloth (lol)

macbook air has

SSD (for cost of air over pro you could put an SSD in the pro easily)
uh oh yeah and its slightly thinner and lighter

I have owned both, including 2 base 2010 pros, one base 2010 air, one base 2009 pro and I greatly prefer the pro...just personal preference I guess

Also you may want to look at quality reports of Mercedes cars LOL

Hoxer

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2011
Denmark
I prefer the MBA over the MBP end of story it's a personal preference as you say.

I don't know if you have read the last reports regarding Mercedes cars. The quality of the cars have suffered a bit through the last 10 years or so mostly rust and corrosion wise. Because they began to work together with an American car brand, Chrysler. They have dumped them now so now they are going to be even more superior than most other cars.

And even under DaimlerChrysler Mercedes cars were light years ahead of the American cars. Most people in America consider their car for being worn out when it has 100,000 miles on the clock. My dad has MB E320 CDI from 03' with 250.000 miles on the clock and are stil going strong. Years ago he had a W123 model that drove over 625.000 miles before the engine died.

The conclusion is that you will NEVER be able to compare a Mercedes-Benz to any American made car. Both quality and in many cases perfomance wise too.

It's the American cars that deserve a big LOL here...

double329

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
I sold my iPad 64 3G and get MBA 13. I love the iPad and I still miss it. But, I think I will wait till the iPad or other tablet is fully mature. I think iPad is very limited for what I need, functionality wise. I will get back to it when iPad 2 or 3. MBA is my choice for now in term of portability and full functionality.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
uh oh yeah and its slightly thinner and lighter

This outweighs everything on the list to a LOT of people. That's why it's selling so well. Footprint + weight = everything. (as long as it can accomplish what you need)

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
This outweighs everything on the list to a LOT of people. That's why it's selling so well. Footprint + weight = everything. (as long as it can accomplish what you need)

no it is selling well because it is the newest thing. when the new macbook pro comes out the air will fade into obscurity again just like the last revisions

amt2002

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
I've sold my iPad as it was just too limiting for me - can't wait to get the new air

Last edited:

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Straight-traded my $499 iPad 16GB Wi-Fi for a 2008 black MacBook.
Upgraded specs from 1GB to 4GB and 160GB to 640GB for about $150.
Sold the black MacBook a couple months later and paid the difference of about $150 to the MacBook Air 11.6".

Best moves I made.

thetruth1985

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2010
Our house is full of Macs. We have a 64gb 3g ipad, 27 inch imac, i5 macbook pro, and I just got the wife a 11 inch MBA. Her MBA is awesome in my opinion but I don't think I can get it to replace my ipad. Being a student, I load all of my lectures and assignments on the ipad. Around the house, I can study lectures any time whether i'm in the kitchen or on the toilet. I have the course smart application loaded and last semester, I rented 2 of my text books through the app. I was able to refer to my book on the ipad while typing on the MBP. This could probably be possible on the MBA but i'm not sure how much the screen resolution would hold me back. I'm also not conscious of the battery life as I am with my MBP. I can use my ipad for 3 days and forget to charge it sometimes. Since I have a otterbox defender and invisible shield on it, I can give it to my son so he can play his games and I don't have to worry about getting scratches on it. I cannot remember how many times he has thrown it on the floor. I've had it since launch and it's still in mint condition.

The ipad is more like a companion/supplemental device but I don't see how some people can go as far as to call it a toy. I can't remember the last game I played on it but I do know that I can pull it out anytime and study my chemistry class with or without wifi. Of course I would not think about writing my next essay on it. If someone was looking for a single solution, the MBA is a better value since it's a full blown computer. I just think people are disappointed that they can't fully replace a laptop with the Ipad.

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area
I own both. And use both daily.

There are things I do with my iPad and things I do with my 11.6 MBA. There are certain things that each one does better. Its a personal decision. I argue you should have both. That is of course if the budget allows. If not one should choose one or the other based on what the greatest need is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.