Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phrygianmode

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
First post - thanks in advance:

Looking to upgrade current 2008 4,1 macbook 250 gb 5400 stock hard-drive to an SSD and put the stock HD in the optical bay. Have been doing some reading here and just want to make sure this is right for the optical bay caddy:

http://newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=220

EDIT: I think the correct one is actually this: http://newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_27&products_id=219

The website is very confusing in regards to what part of the bay is the PATA/SATA referring to. I'm correct in thinking the drive is SATA but the bay needs to be PATA to function in my blackbook, yes?

Thanks
PM

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located

phrygianmode

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
OK just to show my ignorance:

When I look there it only says ATAPI. I'm assuming this means PATA since it doesn't specifically state SATA. That, and under the SATA header only my original HD is listed (assuming this means it is the only SATA device on my machine).

Thanks again. I'll copy what's under my system profiler below just in case it helps.

MATSHITADVD-R UJ-857E:

Model: MATSHITADVD-R UJ-857E
Revision: ZF1E
Serial Number:
Detachable Drive: No
Protocol: ATAPI
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal
Low Power Polling: Yes
Power Off: Yes

Vel

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2008
OK just to show my ignorance:

When I look there it only says ATAPI. I'm assuming this means PATA since it doesn't specifically state SATA. That, and under the SATA header only my original HD is listed (assuming this means it is the only SATA device on my machine).

Thanks again. I'll copy what's under my system profiler below just in case it helps.

MATSHITADVD-R UJ-857E:

Model: MATSHITADVD-R UJ-857E
Revision: ZF1E
Serial Number:
Detachable Drive: No
Protocol: ATAPI
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal
Low Power Polling: Yes
Power Off: Yes
It may be a bit of waste connecting a SSD via IDE, it probably won't be as quick as you were hoping, if you do decide to go ahead with this mod it may be worth but in the SSD where your current HDD. Then putting your old HDD in the SuperDrives place,

Vel

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.